Microavionics? And helmets.

Gregwatson

I've spent a long time researching Sena based headset solutions and I wanted to give Microavionics a decent chance too, but I'm getting a bit confused between the ULM and PM100 units. Can someone give me a quick rundown on the different headsets they make? Edit: looks like it's just the PM100 I'd be looking at...?

I'm not too worried about Bluetooth intercom but would like 2m radio and Bluetooth for phone and music....

Also interested in people's opinions on their kit of course. In terms of helmets for example, what they look like is the least important thing. Comfort and safety are top, and I can't help thinking that - if something should happen that makes you grateful that you were wearing a helmet, you'll want it to work perfectly and not have cameras and radios and batteries stuck all over it...

Thanks

Greg

Edited by Gregwatson

1 hour ago, Gregwatson said:

Michael Schumacher might not agree. The testing standards do not test to levels that might kill anyway. So, camera first into a tree may have killed him anyway. However, having a camera punch a hole in his head was likely worse.

Hi Greg,

I've got a Micro Avionics MP001A fitted to an Icaro SolarX helmet and I get on with it very well indeed. I provided the new helmet to Eddie at Micro Avionics and he did the installation.  I've got dual cable connection, so I can connect to airband, 2m, phone, boogie box in any combination.  It isn't ANR but with the peltor earcups with gel seals, I'm very pleased with the level of noise reduction.  Comms are crystal clear.  Downside is that there is a physical cable(s) coming off the helmet, not a biggie, plus side is that there is absolutely no faff with pairing devices etc.  Good fit, very comfortable even with extended wear.  No complaints - suits me sir!

21 minutes ago, Hamishdylan said:

Hi Greg,

I've got a Micro Avionics MP001A fitted to an Icaro SolarX helmet and I get on with it very well indeed. I provided the new helmet to Eddie at Micro Avionics and he did the installation.  I've got dual cable connection, so I can connect to airband, 2m, phone, boogie box in any combination.  It isn't ANR but with the peltor earcups with gel seals, I'm very pleased with the level of noise reduction.  Comms are crystal clear.  Downside is that there is a physical cable(s) coming off the helmet, not a biggie, plus side is that there is absolutely no faff with pairing devices etc.  Good fit, very comfortable even with extended wear.  No complaints - suits me sir!

Ditto. I have the same on an Icaro Scarab helmet and agree with all above. No noise cancellation, but good noise reduction with gel cups and comms are very clear.

The only annoyance is you cannot detach the cable, so if you are flying without using comms, you have to stuff the cable down the neck of your clothing. 

4 hours ago, Gregwatson said:

Interesting, thanks chaps. I still haven't figured out the best option for me. Has anyone tried the Microavionics integral helmet?

Yes - didn’t like it at all. Ugly and uncomfortable. I ordered my Icaro from FlyBubble and they sent it to MicroAvionics to have the headset fitted. Looks awesome and really comfy too. And definitely get the visor for an extra £15 (I think). Amazing how much it keeps your face warm and can easily be taken off in the summer if you wish. 

Pic of mine taken just now:

Ps as I understand it you can hook up Bluetooth devices to the PM100 (with one of their accessories), but it doesn't do Bluetooth pilot to pilot Comms. Which in the real world is probably less reliable then one would like it to be? Not having tried it of course....

Edited by Gregwatson

I had the Microavionics with built in MP001a but it wasn't very comfortable. Fortunately it got stolen and the insurance company bought me a separate MP001a and helmet. This way I can fly with ear plugs instead if don't want headset. Also comfortable. I have helmet with visor, taken off for warm weather, on when in UK !

1 hour ago, Gregwatson said:

Thanks Andre.

Why did you choose the Scarab over the seemingly-very-popular Solar X, and why the PM100 over a Bluetooth solution like the Sena units?

Greg

Tried Scarab and SolarX and Scarab was more comfortable (and cheaper). I use a 2m/4m radio and no need for Bluetooth (useless for anything other than tandem in my experience, due to short range and engine interference). 

Edited by andre_74

Hi Greg

Just stumbled upon this post replying to something else and you reminded me that I have a spare set of the MICROAVIONICS MP001A PM-100 mounted on a small Icaro helmet if you want it. I bought as part of a second-hand bundle with a big Nirvana Paramotor which I planned to fly tandem in the Worlds here in Blighty. The dream turned to dust and the tandem idea has gone out of the window completely. Probably because I suddenly woke up from the dream and realised it was not a good idea to put BOTH parents of our child at risk under the quite dangerously demanding task of flying in a comp not to mention the Worlds!

I also have the same helmet/ headset. What I would say is that I completely understand where Icaro are coming from if they say that because it would would pretty obviously reduce the effectiveness of a helmet in a direct, hard hit if the helmet is not flush-fitting to the head. I question the comfort of flying with the headset under your helmet too and you'd probably have to go for a larger size helmet to fit it thus when you find the headset is uncomfortable after a while of flying (mine becomes uncomfortable even without the headset underneath after an hour or more so I can't imagine if there was a headset under there).

Then there's the issue of not being able to flip up the ear defenders... I am not sure you can do that on the inside fitting set. It basically means you're unable to communicate to people around you once you have helmet on for take-off. With the outside mounted headset each defender can be popped up separately away from your ear. I take off with one popped up just in case there are screams from humans on earth because you've got a stick in your line or cravat or any other issue.

Now that you've mentioned it I'll dig out the spare set and put it up for sale. I'm open to any offers for a quick sale. I seem to remember it wasn't in pristine condition. Will post pics when I've got it out and it's not 4am!

Also, you want to ask yourself how much you'll be using a radio. I've never used a radio. Not allowed in competition which I was interested in briefly for a while and also for recreational flying just couldn't be bothered with the faff of another thing to charge, plug-in, carry etc and I don't like chatting in the air so the radio option is pointless for me... PPG is my escape from the earthly world:-). I have however used it with music from spotify on my phone a couple of times which is nice but not loud enough if you want to really get into the music. You'd need a separate mini-amp to really enjoy some banging tunes. Thus I haven't really bothered with music. Knowing what I know now, I'd have just got a slim fitting, good quality set of just ear defenders.

And finally - I also have a small issue with the size of the MICROAVIONICS MP001A PM-100 with my high-hangpoint Nirvana (rue the day I ever got high hangpoints!). It is wide enough to impede very free head movement. Not a problem on a low hangpoint PPG though.

Hope this helps your choice. 

Raidan.

PS: Oh - just realised your post is at the end of a trail of posts which I just scanned... I totally agree with the cable issue. You have to be very, very careful that they are tucked well and safely away. I always fear the day that they'll ride up out of my shirt and shatter the prop. More added to my hindsight thought on just slim ear defenders as being the way I should have gone. The microphone is a right pain too, catching on the carabiner, further restricting movement and also constantly losing the mic wind-shield after enough rough action with the carabiner. I don't even put a windshield on anymore. The mic also then soon comes loose in its mounting and despite fixing it several times I now just leave it hanging loose. I ever wanted to use it with a radio (not), I'd have to manually lift the mic up to speak.

Hi Greg,

Just clarifying your query about helmets with headsets.  The Icaro helmets are designed to be worn with no headset underneath the helmet; you can add 'ear shell' / Peltor earcups but only when these are directly mounted on the helmet - this is to do with the shape of the helmet liner and the strap arrangement.  The microavionics helmet is designed to be worn with a headset underneath; they have different webbing arrangements so that you put the microavionics headset on first and then fasten their compatible helmet over the top. So it is horses for courses really, you pays your money and you makes your choice.

I'd second the thumbs up about the visor too.  I have a half face visor on the Solar X, which is enough to keep bugs and drafts from making your eyes water, but still with enough airflow to ensure you never mist up, even in very cold weather.  A buff over the lower part of the face is enough to keep me warm, although a splendidly large Biggles moustache might be a little warmer, if not more aerodynamic!

I generally fly with a radio connected so don't worry about the lead; I've never found it a matter for concern.  When doing engine tests before flight I just tuck the cable into the neck of my jacket.  It is long enough that when put under a layer of clothing it stays put, so no concerns that it will find its way back into the prop.

Finally we all have different shaped heads, not just different circumferences.  Its worth trying different types on if possible - some makes are quite round whilst others are more oval -front to back.  Try borrowing a mate's helmet and wear it for at least an hour to see how you will get on, most suppliers will not be keen on accepting a returned helmet because obviously it is safety equipment and they won't  be able to vouch that it hasn't been knocked about.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/19/2017 at 21:20, andre_74 said:

I don’t think you can use Bluetooth with Micro Avionics. You can see a list of their accessories here:

http://www.microavionics.co.uk/ULM Intercoms.html

http://www.microavionics.co.uk/Paramotor Headsets.html

Yes - managed to connect the MicroAvionics to Bluetooth connector by getting an adaptor from Ebay  (via Italy)

Incidentally - I have the same set up - Icaro Helmet and PM100.

I am having a connector fitted to the spare cable (the cable for the traditional radio) so I can detach it rather than having to tie it up. Not cheap but i don't like the idea of the cable getting free !

3 minutes ago, Hamishdylan said:

Could you share a link for the Bluetooth connector/adaptor which connects to the Microavionics headset please?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/XUK-F5XT-F5MC-Fconnettore-adapter-standard-headphones-Interphone-Cellularline/302154769378?epid=1358123988&hash=item4659d3e3e2:g:KQIAAOSw9~5ZVMte

This mates with the INTERPHONE F5MC bluetooth helmet - simply plug in your jack plug cable from the PM100 and bingo ! 

Link to the Interphone FYI :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Interphone-F5MC-Motorcycle-Helmet-Bluetooth-Universal-Intercom-System-Single/111992909204?epid=686570342&hash=item1a134c2d94:g:qbMAAOSw8vZXMhlr

6 hours ago, Shorehambeach said:

I am having a connector fitted to the spare cable (the cable for the traditional radio) so I can detach it rather than having to tie it up. Not cheap but i don't like the idea of the cable getting free !

I just tuck it down the neck of my top. It's not going to get free.

• 1 year later...

HI,

I know this is an old topic, but figure its worth an update, I ordered a Microavionics helmet with Bluetooth, but from the start i wanted to do something with the radio cable, i also wanted to have options to change the radio or not use one.

After a few chats with Eddie (microavionics owner) and a few hours deciding on what connectors I wanted, IP68 and self locking, so the cable will not pull out.

I went with the Icaro scarab helmet plus visor. (small visor not available)

Cables are for FTA 750 and Alinco radios.

The helmet fits great along with perfect ear cup placement. The connectors don't foul on clothing. Bluetooth to my iphone was simple and work perfectly.

I believe Eddie will be offering this option on future models if asked for, a retro fit is possible, side note the connectors are not cheap as they are a full metal construction. Personal i think the end result is great.

IMG_0039.JPG

IMG_0038.JPG

IMG_0051.JPG

IMG_0048.JPG

IMG_0046.JPG

IMG_0052.JPG

• Like 3