I have said to a few people I think the Spyder is one of if not the best beginner Paramotor wing. Its lighter weight makes it easy to launch and forgiving of mistakes. The wing just hangs there waiting for input, begging to fly. I just come across a great youtube video which shows how easy it is. You can see the wind is light, barely blowing 5mph it looks.

The key element to a beginner is reliable easy successful launching. Easy for an experienced pilot to make any wing look good, but when beginners pull up the spyder after ground handling something else is great to see.

49 minutes ago, custom-vince said:

I have said to a few people I think the Spyder is one of if not the best beginner Paramotor wing. Its lighter weight makes it easy to launch and forgiving of mistakes. The wing just hangs there waiting for input, begging to fly. I just come across a great youtube video which shows how easy it is. You can see the wind is light, barely blowing 5mph it looks.

The key element to a beginner is reliable easy successful launching. Easy for an experienced pilot to make any wing look good, but when beginners pull up the spyder after ground handling something else is great to see.

Very impressive.

quite obvious that a lighter fabric will make a wing easier to launch (great for beginners and nil wind days). But how long will the fabric last compared to in this case the Roadster 2?
There must be a good reason why not more wings are made from this fabric, right?

3 hours ago, Casper said:

quite obvious that a lighter fabric will make a wing easier to launch (great for beginners and nil wind days). But how long will the fabric last compared to in this case the Roadster 2?
There must be a good reason why not more wings are made from this fabric, right?

I guess it’s all relative to each pilots usage.  Ozone claim that it will last just as long as regular fabric if treated with care. 

From that I assume if you fly predominately from grass fields & don’t drag it on the ground unnecessarily then there’s no reason for it to degrade any faster. 

General flying & UV exposure would have the same impact on light fabric as much as regular fabric. 

I think more manufacturers will follow suit in the near future. 

Ozone were one of the first to pioneer the lightweight fabric in the free flying community & many others soon followed. I think the same will happen in the paramotoring community too. 

Lets see...

I think the reason is price.

As for longevity, wear and wing care. I would say someone reliably launching and having less time ground handling would actually make the wing last longer, up and fly rather than up, down, to the side, upside down etc.  The lighter wing launches more easily and reliably on nill to low wind days. Less power and effort is rammed in on launch = less stress. 5mph and above the difference gets less as you have the wind to help lift a heavier wing. Its those light days that are the nicest to fly and the light days beginners find hardest.

When the wing is pulled up and dropped back down it comes down a little more gently, it floats down and again reduces friction just a little bit with the ground.

That said if you walked across a runway dragging the wing, be it neither will do well but I would say the lighter one could fair worse for ultimate abrasion.

AndyB: 19.5% lighter.. nearly 20%. think of it this way 1kg at 4m away.

Steve, yes they are cheating, so unfair. I learned with a knitted flying blanket that you had to run into wind even if it was 10mph. Beginners need to work for it, get dragged about in the mud and sweat, only then do we know they can be accepted into our odd community. I am not suggesting its a good wing to learn first ground handling attempts on, I would suggest its a good first wing to own. Soon as someone has the fundamentals to keep a basic wing above their head, swap to this and it will be so much easier to launch, saving props, falls, stumbles etc. Its a wing, you still have to stay under the centre but can do it in less wind with less chance of dragging as in stronger winds.

A few pilots have them now and they are raving about it, one feedback was its night and day compared his previous wing. I wouldn't suggest upgrading an existing roadster2 owner to a spyder, the difference is not enough for the expense. If your buying that sort of wing, consider the extra cost and benefits. Weigh them up for yourself. Plus consider re-sale in 2-4 years. Which will be in more demand.

6 hours ago, AndyB said:

If the weights on the Ozone site are correct then......5kg as compared to 5.88kg  =  exactly15 % lighter. :) 

This morning I have just been zero wind launching (and I mean zero) on a soft sandy beach.....ugh! Anyone want a Roadster 2 :)

I worked the other way. 19.5% heavier.

Ozone Spyder 26 - 4.75kg

Ozone Roadster 26 - 5.68kg

4.75 x 19.5% = 0.92 + 4.75 = 5.67 

or 

5.68 - 16% = 4.77

either way it is 930 grams. nearly 1kg, not quite. 

The ground handling vid is seriously impressive.

The Spyder is even lighter than the Sirocco whose light weight they were touting a year or so ago as being the major feature of that wing.

Light weight wings are the way to go i think - i certainly noticed it when i made the switch from my old wing which was 1.9Kg heavier than my current one.

I`d like to see a wing made from graphene - it would probably weigh a few hundred grams, might be a bit spendy though....

1 hour ago, custom-vince said:

I worked the other way. 19.5% heavier.

Ozone Spyder 26 - 4.75kg

Ozone Roadster 26 - 5.68kg

4.75 x 19.5% = 0.92 + 4.75 = 5.67 

or 

5.68 - 16% = 4.77

either way it is 930 grams. nearly 1kg, not quite. 

I did my size wing, the 28, which is 5 and 5.88 for each, hence the 15 %

It was still too heavy this morning on a squishy sandy beach. I even checked I had not picked up some extra sand!

I watched a SirEdmund single skin being ground handled and it just sat there when I didn't even notice any wind, I think its held up by the centrifugal forces of the earth rotating, yeah thats all it can be, or maybe the heat rising off the pilot kept it up, the thing was ridiculous.

I certainly noticed how easy my Freeride is to launch over past wings its 4.5kg and past wings were 6kg+  my old fusion 29 was 8.8kg so things are moving forward. Ozones Ultralite 4 is 2.4kg for a double skin glider, interesting how that could be for ppg, light weight wings were always viewed as pointless for paramotor, until they started looking at launch characteristics. From that you can see the Spyder is still well built compared to what is currently possible.

A quick video I did, opening up an Ozone Spyder, ground check and packing backup but in the Ozone Saucisson Light Bag 300grams, not much info out there on this bag but I really like this light versions it has no zips, using over laying clips and straps. Zips can hurt your wing. It fits in a side pocket or under a seat.

The Spyder does not want to deflate though. I was doing a running commentary but got interrupted by a phone, a person, a plane, a lorry and an ice cream van. I abandoned that idea and just did a fast benny hill style video, left the sound natural at high speed.

You can see in the video. Ozone Back Pack Easy bag. Again no zips, its a roundish quick pack bag / backpack combo. Inner wing bag. Riser bag. The long one is the saucisson light bag (concertina pack) I use this exclusively now, my easy quick pack bag and inner wing bag are packed away in a box. I like the secure compact nature of the concertina, its quick enough when you get the hang of it, its like a folding assistant to help you. As its compact I can protect my wing in a sealed box away from vermin. No tangles as everything is held secure.

Inflate was good for the fact I am on a factory estate and surrounded by buildings.

Hi all, big fan of the sport and after 3 years of constant interruptions I am finally taking the first steps into the sport, the ozone spyder is one that has been recommended to me as I have a slight scratch below my left knee... I having looked into all of the beginner type wings, have decided that this Wing will allow the cross over of both pg and ppg, plus ease of use and handling with a motor on my back, there may be better wings out there for a total beginner but I think that the lightweight market will be the next area to be developed so am happy choosing this Wing...

I am looking into a Spyder for my first wing, but my main question with it is what size should I get? Based on my weight, looking at the ozone site, it says 26m is the best size for me right now, but then it seems like every other pilot I see always flies wings that are 2-3 or even 4 times smaller than what the site recommends. I'm not looking to get crazy with it but I was wondering if I would be better suited with a 24m wing? 

As far as my weight goes, I tend to fluctuate during the year. Towards the end of the year I go up and during the beginning/middle of the year I go down. So right now I may call for a 26, but five months from now I could easily call for a 24, if not a 22. So that makes me wonder exactly which size I should go with? 

All in all though, I really do like everything I've seen about the Spyder. I think it'll be an amazing wing. 

Edited by The80s

Have you got a local instructor you can go to at All? There are lots of considerations as you should know, height of normal takeoff, normal weather conditions, mainly pg or ppg, if ppg what size/weight of motor have you got/are getting, have you considered weight of other equipment/accessories you may have? What is your weight...

also note the weights quoted on ozone website is so the wing fits in the EN range. A good idea to stay within the en range as this gives you a good indication of the wings reactions. A more experienced pilot might choose to ignore the guide and choose smaller for a faster more dynamic wing, this could be why you see pilots flying smaller wings than you would expect.

If I was right in the middle of size, then you need to factor in all the comments above plus your own ability.