So how dangerous is low-level skimming?

Obviously there isn't the height issue - and presumably you're not going to fly into a tree - but you could do yourself some damage hitting the dirt at 20mph with a motor on your back, I reckon. And that prop will be spinning pretty fast...

I guess if you're experienced enough to be attempting to do it, you might be able to pull a bit of brake if the engine sputters, and get a little clear of the ground..? Then what?

Choose your location, if it's not right then don't do it. Beaches are good. 

1 hour ago, Gregwatson said:

I guess if you're experienced enough to be attempting to do it, you might be able to pull a bit of brake if the engine sputters, and get a little clear of the ground..? Then what?

You should be using the brakes to do this, regardless.

I have been learning "active flying" on the beach. On the beach the wind is MUCH more steady than inland, thus making it easier. At the PMC fly-in in Membury I learned that I should only ever being do this into wind - another guy was watching my videos! His advice was that at some point in time there WILL be an engine failure and hence a sudden landing!

Inland, with blustery wind, I find it much more difficult.

Water? No. Don't want to get gear wet, especially sea water!