Paramotors in & on Cars Vans etc

custom-vince

Hi Shorehambeach,

At risk of giving a lesson in sucking eggs, I'd just be cautious when first using a BBQ cover over your motor when travelling.  There is quite a lot of your motor  in the over-the-roof airflow and the drag from a waterproof cover will be considerable, putting a potentially large load on the straps and generating a pivot action; whilst the straps may well hold, the strain on your tailgate where the hooks attach could cause your tailgate to get all bent out of shape.  If you have a strap or hook failure then it would probably be quite emotional...

When I first used a waterproof cover (garden table cover - £8 Lidl) it flapped around like a mad thing over 40 mph, even though I had really cinched it in tight with straps and bungee.  The best solution I have found is to put the waterproof cover on and secure it, and then throw an elasticated cargo net over the whole thing (Lidl again - other retailers are available) and this stops the wind teasing out pockets of loose material which act like drogue chutes.

(The reason for my caution is based on a very fast journey across France in a Ford Sierra Cosworth many moons ago.  We had a large Thule roofbox secured to the gutter rails.  At 100 mph + the steering became light (aerofoil action from the roofbox!) and the fuel consumption went up exponentially, but we pressed on and made the ferry with moments to spare, although the Cossie was ticking and clanking like an old tank as it cooled down.  Back in England, driving through the inevitable rain which awaited us, water started to come in through the tops of the doors - we had managed to distort the roof panel due to the lift generated by the roofbox at high speed.  The roofbox could cope but the body panels couldn't - quite an expensive lesson to learn! 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Hamishdylan said:

Hi Shorehambeach,

At risk of giving a lesson in sucking eggs, I'd just be cautious when first using a BBQ cover over your motor when travelling.  There is quite a lot of your motor  in the over-the-roof airflow and the drag from a waterproof cover will be considerable, putting a potentially large load on the straps and generating a pivot action; whilst the straps may well hold, the strain on your tailgate where the hooks attach could cause your tailgate to get all bent out of shape.  If you have a strap or hook failure then it would probably be quite emotional...

Thanks Hamish ! I Adjusted it so the frame / cage is exposed but the motor and harness are protected so its keep it dry but allow air to flow through ! :coptor:

• 2 months later...

CUSTOM PARAMOTOR 'GARAGE'

As there was no separate garage in the motorhome and securing the motor inside the toilet/shower room effectively put the toilet out of action, an alternate plan was hatched.

Hence a custom external 'garage' that houses the motor, harness and even a 5 litre fuel container.

P1030696.JPG.d9a3d8ffc9137669de29062bb31a12be.JPG

First use will be down to the borechasers fly in, yay!

• 1 year later...
On 02/10/2017 at 14:54, custom-vince said:

I thought I would start a thread with some pictures of my nitro in and on various cars, I hope this will grow and everyone will share pictures of their paramotors either compacted into a car, or complete in a van or on a car with our various methods of transport.

Hopefully we can learn which van is best, which paramotors fit in which cars.

To start off heres a few pics.

This one always makes me chuckle first. My Smart Cabrio is an excellent van :)

37413340111_c7cc5659ac_b.jpgParamotor transport by Surfer Vince, on Flickr

37413188661_e82c34e0a3_c.jpgParamotor transport by Surfer Vince, on Flickr

36745104503_0e03f63d71_c.jpgParamotor transport by Surfer Vince, on Flickr

This is brilliant! My business run around is a smart car (solid top, not soft top) and I was thinking of using it to transport the gear. I'm sure a reasonably priced bike rack fitted to the back would do the trick :-) How do you keep your paramotor secure in the boot?

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/10/2017 at 12:45, Hamishdylan said:

A bit more effort and expense than a straight rack, so I don't know if this qualifies...?  I took a bog standard Ifor Williams box trailer and converted it into a 'stealth camper' to haul my motor in the dry and also have a  place to live whilst I was on the road.  The 'mobile man cave' has turned out quite well, with the paramotor well secured using ratchet straps to some cargo tracks I've secured to the floor.  Couple more photos to follow...

Stealth camper trailer 1.jpg

Dylan this is exactly what i have been thinking about for sometime, and now having seen your build it's definitely the way i'm going forward with, possibly only difference i'd make is window/s in rear doors for some light.

I have a trailer, but I like to store it inside my garage where it is nice and safe. So, I started with a standard ifor trailer with drop down rear ramp, then made a plywood box to fit in it, with the height so that it just scrapes into the garage. I haven't added man cave, but their is room in future.