How addictive is paramotoring?

supre nerd

Apart from waking up and checking the weather forecast before even eating, driving through the countryside looking sideways at potential flying fields instead of looking where you are going, when out and about being distracted by spending a large proportion of your time looking up to read the conditions or remembering a recent flight, constant kit fettling, looking forward to fly-ins and spending too much time on the PMC site, paramotoring is merely a sideshow in your life. 

I have met a few who were seduced by YouTube videos into thinking it was something other than it is, and once they had learned that it can be hard work, the machines are noisy and vibrate and it's 'kin cold up there a a lot of the time, they have sold their kit. Most seem to become addicted though, fortunately.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Steve said:

Apart from waking up and checking the weather forecast before even eating, driving through the countryside looking sideways at potential flying fields instead of looking where you are going, when out and about being distracted by spending a large proportion of your time looking up to read the conditions or remembering a recent flight, constant kit fettling,

I can relate to that, i have those behavioural traits too,  especially looking at fields when out`n`about!!

It`s as if flying is on your mind every waking hour -  i think about it all day and if i`ve flown that day drop off to sleep going over the days events.

Whenever i`ve had a decent amount of air over a short time i think to myself ` that`s it now, i`m satisfied for a while`, nope - whenever the next flying opportunity occurs i`m up there!!

I have thirty five entries saved in my web browsers `Weather` bookmarks folder.....

I think there`a a lot of folk who take it up and then drop out quickly because it`s not what they thought it was as seen from the comfort of their favourite armchair watching Youtube videos.

You see a lot of barely used kit for sale due to `time/work/family/bad knee/dog died/other` reasons.

I reckon for a high percentage of those folk flying a PPG just wasn`t their game - you`ve got to be a little bit of a free spirit..

• Like 2

I know of one person who had three flights, bought kit and then sold it. Due to being busy. Me and about 6 others however have been flying at least once a week when the weather permits since April. We have a What'sApp group which goes mad as soon as the weather app even remotely looks good.

I think if I only had myself to fly with or I didn't have a field to fly from regularly, I can see the novelty wearing off. However 16 flights in, it still puts a smile on my face everytime

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

Some I know got hocked on paragliding instead. We have a bigger community for paragliding in my area. It is more social than paramotoring here.
Some quit due to poor equipment. Getting and old, noisy motor without enough thrust is a bad way to get into this sport in my opinion, at least if you expect more than that.

Me.. I'm not addicted. I can quit any time I like. I have an apartment that I really need to get done renovating. The hallway haven't had a floor now for 10 years. But what can I do, new gliders, motors and other equipment pops up every year. Concrete floors are very practical! I had to sell my car to get one better suited for my motor. The motor is always in the car and it smells like petrol, but what can I do, it very convenient and good for my back not to carry the motor too much. I look after my health!  I quit my job and on the new one I had a demand that I would not work if the weather is good for flying. But that's just normal.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

It's super addictive, When I don't fly I'm looking at the weather conditions all the time 

after I fly I'm so happy and I come home and take my family for lunch or dinner I just want them to be as happy as I just felt,the sensation of flying it's hard to forget

i have lots of take off and landing and never get old 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Juan, wow, buddy, what a blessing.  I just joined this board and then saw your post.  How awesome.  Juan, I know you must be like I am.  While 72 years young you are still one, Stoked dude!  Man, it would be so awesome to shake you hand someday.  I am seriously looking into getting into the sport.  I too and am an older guy.  I'm 64 and packing 240 pounds.  I am losing weight though, Praise God, but Juan, If I have the time, Money, attitude and serious training/mentoring do you think I could do this at that level of weight and only being 5'7" tall.  Also, I am interested in buying the Scout Carbon Paramotor.  What do you think and Juan, man, thanks for being so helpful in advance.  Blessings to ya buddy from Tulsa, Oklahoma!!!!!  :):) 

I've found all types of flying addictive so far, gliders, microlights, light aircraft have all left me addicted.  Never tried egg beaters as that's an expensive game.  Hope that paramotoring also becomes addictive for me too. I just long for the ability and freedom to just fly where and when I want to (subject to obvious limitations).

19 hours ago, Steve Marvel said:

Hey Juan, wow, buddy, what a blessing.  I just joined this board and then saw your post.  How awesome.  Juan, I know you must be like I am.  While 72 years young you are still one, Stoked dude!  Man, it would be so awesome to shake you hand someday.  I am seriously looking into getting into the sport.  I too and am an older guy.  I'm 64 and packing 240 pounds.  I am losing weight though, Praise God, but Juan, If I have the time, Money, attitude and serious training/mentoring do you think I could do this at that level of weight and only being 5'7" tall.  Also, I am interested in buying the Scout Carbon Paramotor.  What do you think and Juan, man, thanks for being so helpful in advance.  Blessings to ya buddy from Tulsa, Oklahoma!!!!!  :):) 

I am currently training with somebody close to 280 pounds so it's possible.  Some paramotors and wings are big enough to take 2 people.  I don't know what the limits actually are.

FYI, I am 59 years old with some mobility problems and 217 pounds in weight.