Electric paramotor test

1 hour ago, waynemackie67 said:

Thankyou so much cas. Still aways to go before I make more frames .just needed to know if the project was worth doing .looking forward to finding out how long we can fly for .you can do all the maths in the world but nothing like seeing it in action 

If you want any help re calcs, I could help. the calcs are actually extremely accurate. I have used high power elec systems for over 15 years on RC planes and can design and chose power system components without having to test them! They are very predictable.

• Like 1

Thankyou guy .yes I'm very happy to get something in the air that myself and a friend have made .in the beginning we thought about power ,thrust and weight .but in the end I just made the lightest frame I could with out sacrificing safety. I will weigh the frame tonight and put up the results but the main result for me is still to come .how long can we fly under power at the end of the day that's all that matters . The test pilot weighs about 17 stone so I know take off power is spot on just need to get same pilot to fly round till he drops lol then I know my self at 13 stone should get a little longer out of it .obviously the type of wing will make a difference aswell .

Wired link is much easier and MUCH more reliable. First you need the specs for the esc, specifically what the control/input  is. Is it anologue? If so what voltage range drives it from zero to full speed across the speed contact. This will currently be the voltage output from the receiver.  

Most modern servos or esc's use PWM (pulse width modulation). A square wave is sent to the esc and usually if the frequency is 2ms that is full, 1ms zero.

A very simple way to operate an esc manually is to use a servo tester. I always use these on first setup to prevent any radio mishaps.

Here is the sub $10 Hobbyking one...

https://hobbyking.com/es_es/turnigy-servo-tester.html

• 2 weeks later...
On 2017-09-18 at 18:28, AndyB said:

Electric also creates a new and VERY dangerous hazard. When batteries are connected and ready to go, but throttle at zero, the prop is stationary. The machine looks like it is off! However, the maximum torque and hence maximum damage potential is at that point. Many rc plane fliers have lost fingers because they thought it was switched off. This is why on all high power electric machines we use solid state cutoff devices......you can't have a "big switch" because the current is massive.

If I had an electric motor I would like to have a strobe light on the motor. So when its live the strobe is always on. I have a led strobe light myself on my old fashion device and they are very bright. Also the throttle could have led light indicating that it is on. And of course a tone when turning on the motor.

Or maybe optional. on idle there is always a tone.

Edited by Hemberg
  • Like 1

On 10/6/2017 at 10:13, Hemberg said:

If I had an electric motor I would like to have a strobe light on the motor. So when its live the strobe is always on. I have a led strobe light myself on my old fashion device and they are very bright. Also the throttle could have led light indicating that it is on. And of course a tone when turning on the motor.

Or maybe optional. on idle there is always a tone.

I feel that I would be safer with a strobe. Do you have any details on yours / link to a site where I could get one?

Thanks, Guy

I bought mine from a fellow swede that makes them. Had it for about 2 years maybe. People are impressed by the power of it, even airplane pilots. I can ask if he still makes them. Used to have one from microavionics, a standard discharge strobe but this one is brighter and does not affect radio.

22 minutes ago, Hemberg said:

I bought mine from a fellow swede that makes them. Had it for about 2 years maybe. People are impressed by the power of it, even airplane pilots. I can ask if he still makes them. Used to have one from microavionics, a standard discharge strobe but this one is brighter and does not affect radio.

That would be helpful, but please don't go to too much trouble.

Thanks, Guy