Carbon blade protection

AndyB

Hi, looking for any advice or experience regarding protection of carbon props from wear. I fly off sandy beach and the leading edge wears out very quickly. The solution is to put tape on it. However, even the tape doesn't last long. The picture below is after 2 flights of 45 minutes.

20170913_102201.jpg

I don't know how big your props are but I don't think I'd ever manage to use 30m of the stuff!! :-D

You can get it in much smaller rolls - OK technically it's 8671 rather than 8672, but it's the same stuff, only thicker.

https://www.vikingtapes.co.uk/products/bike-protective-tape-3m-8671hs-polyurethane-protective-tape-short-rolls-25mm-x-3m?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=googlepla&gclid=Cj0KCQjwruPNBRCKARIsAEYNXIjVkkfc6hFMBeNsF1uN-nuS5kNnr-qdVJ0o-t0bjiLtpxYL7iQNbwMaAkDGEALw_wcB&variant=34688318791

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I bought this one. Cut in half is enough and give 24 feet. I have found that only the last 18 inch needs to be covered, so use 24 inch for good measure. So 4 feet per covering gives 6 lots for £30. :)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ISC-Helicopter-OG-Surface-Guard-Tape/dp/B000TR6EW2/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1506854129&sr=8-17&keywords=polyurethane+tape+4in

Whatever you do, DO NOT try to glue metal leading edges on the prop! My first microlighting adventure back in the 90's was a 5 day trek across the Kalahari Desert (called the Kalahari Bundu Bash, if you ever want to do an amazing adventure) and my esteemed pilot (I was filming) - who happens to be an engineer par excellance (and now great friend and sail-around-the-world-sailor), put metal leading edges on his 3 blade prop. We took a test flight before starting the 5 day trek and within minutes one of the leading edges had shot off right through the wing. We had to land out in the desert due to an un-balanced prop. The forces at near the speed of sound cannot be under estimated.

I use this tape for years from this link working excellent

many times rescue my prop from much harder objects

after hit tape absorbing energy from impact

its eaven very difficult to cut by scissors,to cut that you need new razor blade

On 13/09/2017 at 18:00, unwind-protect said:

I don't know how big your props are but I don't think I'd ever manage to use 30m of the stuff!! :-D

You can get it in much smaller rolls - OK technically it's 8671 rather than 8672, but it's the same stuff, only thicker.

https://www.vikingtapes.co.uk/products/bike-protective-tape-3m-8671hs-polyurethane-protective-tape-short-rolls-25mm-x-3m?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=googlepla&gclid=Cj0KCQjwruPNBRCKARIsAEYNXIjVkkfc6hFMBeNsF1uN-nuS5kNnr-qdVJ0o-t0bjiLtpxYL7iQNbwMaAkDGEALw_wcB&variant=34688318791