Quiet Topic

asquaddie

I am just waiting for my Sub 70KG one from them (basically the tandem parts removed, lighter tyres, and wheels) :-) 

Im not sure that the recently relaxed laws will suddenly make everyone want to fly a trike to be honest most are happy with foot launch.

As the trikes became available to us legally, the foot launch market changed fairly dramatically towards lighter and more powerful engines as well. Gone are the days of a 35kg+ paramotor's, gone are the days of wings that are super fast to launch and require precise and well practiced skills. 

The new era of kit has without doubt made foot launching a lot easier. A good example of this would be the Universal 1.1 This wing has taken about a day OFF the time it takes someone to complete there training with us. The Moster engine's have seen broken props from scratchy take off's disappear on our field

We have our first trike student starting with us on Monday so maybe the info is starting to filter through slowly :-) 

SW :D

I am right in saying that The Falco is legal in the UK as a single seater without any licenses?

Still, don't see many YouTube vids. They are mostly the 'Green Eagle' and the Blackhawk ones, with a sh!t load of homemade ones...

Need to change that :-)

Just doing some long term researching - feel like a newbie again :-)  :-)  :-) 

Tony

There's a guy on you tube called Gerry,  who posts under the name of Oil Burner who made a trike out of an old wheelchair and the handlebars of a bicycle for the front end. It all seemed to work pretty well until he had an engine out and the subsequent landing was a little hard........only bent a wheel though so probably cost less than a fiver to replace.

I've adapted a Powered Parachute trike (very heavy duty and built like the proverbial out house) to take an ozone tandem paraglider wing. The best of both worlds for me.

Hi Squaddie.

I've been quite interested in the variety of trikes around and couldn't help but notice the differences taken between the UK and the continent. Looking at you tube and some of the flying festivals in mainland Europe trikes seem to be much more popular than in the UK. Perhaps because they are more mainstream, their trikes appear to have a different focus on their construction. The Falco for instance seems to have been built around a suspended paramotor harness (or 2) whereas those such as Fresh Breeze have more fully formed seating.

You tube 'rotax paratrike' and you find some quite substantial looking pieces of machinery. I'm starting to think that this type of unit could well replace a number of flexwings in the future, as not everyone needs or wants to fly 80 - 100 miles, and with a decent trailer rigging time is only 15 minutes..........quicker than getting a flexwing out of the hangar and cheaper too as you can keep it in the garage at home. Very different type of flying of course to a conventional paramotor, but if all you you want (like me) is an aerial platform and have physical infirmity (I burst a disc on a failed paramotor launch) a set of wheels opens up great opportunities. You could even take a small tent for camping out if so inclined.

The UK has been massively far behind the rest of the EU, USA, and in fact, most of the rest of the world when it comes to using wheels for a Paramotor to take off. 

In maybe another 10 years or so (some 20 years behind everyone else) we may even be allowed to take passengers. 

the UK have some catching up to do when it come to trikes and quads for sure. 

SW :D

It has been clear that quite a number of people have been using trikes long before the recent change in the legislation.

Is anyone aware of any prosecutions at all for this? Do the CAA have sufficient resources to adequately police it?

I am not aware of any, but would be interested to hear from others who would be better informed.