Radio Info for a beginner

We tend to use 2m radios - although it's legally slightly naughty but a blind eye is turned. Although more expensive than walkie-talkies they are generally better build, better sound and much better range. I use a Yaesu FT-270 which has never let me down in the seven years that I've had it. However, these days most of the time I don't bother with it unless there's a large group of us or a big XC and we need to keep in touch. 

• 2 weeks later...

Eddie from MicroAvionics here... For radio's the only legal type is a certified airband (like Icom A6E) but you need to take a radio telephony exam first, then you need to pay every few years for a hand held rig license. Most people use 2m or PMR frequencies. So best to buy a radio that covers both bands. We recommend and sell the Alinco DJ500, modified for wideband, so it can use most frequencies. The cost is about £110. You can save money and buy a cheaper Chinese brand radio. I prefer to buy quality Japanese radios, but if you are on a tight budget, then a Chinese radio should do for a while. If you have any further questions, then you can drop me a message or give me a call at our office. 01332 880468 (UK).

• Like 1

I have a portable airband radio with me since I fly a lot with other airplanes and launch from an airfield, I don't have the license to send on it yet (working on it right now) but I listen to the traffic so I'm aware what the others are doing. To avoid any mistakes right now I also locked it with a PTT-LOCK feature that Yaesu have on their models, so it's even legal.

I also have the Sena 10R on my helmet for mobile phone/MC intercom. There is a gadget that allow you to connect it to a 2M radio, and with some soldering it should also be possible to connect it to an airband radio so you have everything on bluetooth. the Sena should also be able to jump over to 4G if you leave the intercom range with an app called RideConnected

• Like 1