Dragon's Training Blog

OK, I was gonna post my training blog for last night first thing this morning. However, it's been a mad day!

At about 8am I had a call from our local paper. They had 'forgotten' to send a photographer to our carnival so were hoping I had some pics they could use.

It says a lot about a paper when you ask "What's your FTP server address?" And the Editor says "What's an FTP server?" :lol::lol:

They then suggested that I emailed half a dozen or so pics. This I tried to do several times, only to find that their ISP has a file size limit, and any pics I sent that way would be too small to print! There was no option but to burn to disk and deliver personally. Another problem. Since being made redundant from the day job a few weeks ago I have no car and the wife has taken hers to visit her mother for the day! Most annoying thing? Her Mum's house is round the corner from the Newspaper office!

Anyway, we finally got it sorted on the wife's return and I could visibly see the Editor's blood pressure dropping as I delivered the disk a full half hour before press time :wink:

Anyway, back to the blog.

Yet again, Met check was saying steady 7mph south westerly for Dave's place. When I got there, it turned out to be 15mph+. More kiting fun. Another pilot turned up and he brought a Revo 30. (Thanks Kieth)

Dave played with it for a while, then it was my turn. Having got pitched by every other wing I have tried so far, this was a revelation!

It came up easily, stayed there and made even me look good :D The only thing it doesn't do as well as Dave's Genie I have been using is handling rotor.

The Genie is an early, non reflex design, so demands more input. However, the upside of it is light rotor is less of a problem .

In clean air, it would be very hard to fault either of them.

At around 8pm, the winds started to die down significantly. Dave got out the FT motor. I carried on kiting with the Genie as Kieth fell in love with the FT. (He has been using an H&E so far, but his particular motor has 'issues' with fuel starvation apparently, leading to a few broken props to date)

Then, at 8.30, the wind died to 10mph. I strapped in to the FT and Genie combo. Dave, having weeks ago identified my 'Banzai' tendancies took the precaution of removing the spark plug cap so I could GH in full kit without fear of me just hitting the throttle and heading skywards!.

Everything was going bloody well until the wind picked up again. As I was walking down the field with wing and motor I felt a strong gust. Instead of lifting, I pulled the brakes. Net result was I was going backwards a few feet off the ground and not really enjoying the experience! Won't be doing THAT again!

In my mind I was desperate to not turtle and risk breaking Dave's prop because I couldn't afford to replace it! I decided to sit on the skids (turning is NOT an option at anything over 10MPH I have found. Tried that)

I got dragged for a second or two until I could grab the D's and close it down.

FT crush bars are hard, but they stop you from getting crushed. AND the bruises look like fresh tattoos I have been told today. Result! :D:D

• 2 weeks later...

Learning lots on the Tip to Tip.

3 days in Roche, followed by a day and a half on Dartmoor really sharpens up the weather eye!

Amazed, and very proud of the guys as they have forged on through conditions 'Armchair Pilots' wouldn't dream of going out for a smoke in!

Looking forward to reaching John O'Groats now. Not least because the guys have earned the glory and of course because it means I can get back home and strap myself in to a motor and throw myself at the sky again

Learning lots on the Tip to Tip.

3 days in Roche, followed by a day and a half on Dartmoor really sharpens up the weather eye!

Amazed, and very proud of the guys as they have forged on through conditions 'Armchair Pilots' wouldn't dream of going out for a smoke in!

Looking forward to reaching John O'Groats now. Not least because the guys have earned the glory and of course because it means I can get back home and strap myself in to a motor and throw myself at the sky again

Great to hear from you!

How about getting the Ground Crew Logs added to the site?

I'm sure you must have a good stories to tell us and you all deserve the recognition.

Cheers

Paul

should have had ground crew logs, lesson for next time.

We 100% could not have got this done without the entire GST.

Any 'glory' as you say, is to be had by ALL involved in this event, not forgetting the web guy Andy.

SW :D