Look what happens when you don't check your risers before taking off??

admin (Simon W)

I also check all lines before take-off. However, last year I took off from a beach and nearly crashed into a hotel as my wing pulled so sharply right that I had to hold not far off full left brake to reduce the turn to a slow right. Keeping full power on I slowly climbed in a spiral until got 1500 feet up. My right brake line had picked up a small twig off the beach and wrapped it into one of the C lines. I could not let power off as it was the only thing stopping a stall, so transferred throttle to left hand, which had to continue holding left brake at 3/4. After a lot of pulling of lines I eventually managed to free the brake line enough to be able to let up on the left brake to 1/4. Right brake still tangled so then landed. The twig was less than 6 inch long and only 1/4 inch diameter.

So now, I also make sure no bits of twig are anywhere near where the wing is laid out! 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, AndyB said:

I also check all lines before take-off. However, last year I took off from a beach and nearly crashed into a hotel as my wing pulled so sharply right that I had to hold not far off full left brake to reduce the turn to a slow right. Keeping full power on I slowly climbed in a spiral until got 1500 feet up. My right brake line had picked up a small twig off the beach and wrapped it into one of the C lines. I could not let power off as it was the only thing stopping a stall, so transferred throttle to left hand, which had to continue holding left brake at 3/4. After a lot of pulling of lines I eventually managed to free the brake line enough to be able to let up on the left brake to 1/4. Right brake still tangled so then landed. The twig was less than 6 inch long and only 1/4 inch diameter.

So now, I also make sure no bits of twig are anywhere near where the wing is laid out! 

Wow... in early 2016 I had a situation virtually identical to this Andy. In my case it was a dried up thistle I'd inadvertently pulled into the lines as I'd brought the wing up (in bloody winter too). For me the wing was hard pulling left and barely climbing at all. Using opposite brake I did eventually manage to get some modest height and do some circuits before I could bring it back in - all on one brake. I was scared (note sh***ing myself) that I'd collapse the wing if I tried to clear it. I just concentrated on getting back down. The landing was a tad hard but as it was very muddy I sort of skidded in (still damaging my immobile prop). For some silly reason I still tried to flare... which collapsed the wing and added to the hard landing.

Big lesson learnt!!! In my case the twig/thistle was sizeable, I really should have seen it.

BTW the video above gave me very clammy hands! He is seriously lucky to be alive.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Yep, needing a toilet was an understatement! I had to go high as the low down option was a hotel and all those spikey umbrellas. In my mind I decided that since it would climb slowly then when I got high up I could always go for the reserve. I didn't fly again for 2 weeks and had to have a chat with my instructor!