Scout's future 4 stroke paramotor

The80s

3 hours ago, chrsfrwll said:

I don't come close. However at 3l/hr I'm happy with the trade in simplicity and lightness,

Its an old Bailey 175... All up with a full tank, reserve and flight deck is 45kg // And its a bit gutless.
I can struggle to launch bigtime in light winds... massive disadvantage!
A 30kg setup would be bliss but I just cant let go of the efficiency... its pretty reliable too.
Last Monday, I flew to Malam cove with a guy who burned almost 15Llr in two hours... He only just made it back.
He also owns a Bailey 175 and he hates its weight.... But he is tempted to give it another go or buy the slightly lighter Bailey V5 :) 

The Scout EOS four stroke looks to be (fundamentally) a Bailey V5 with what looks to be a very useful power increase but I will guarantee it will be too pricy for a skinflint like me!

25 minutes ago, Blackburn Mark said:

Last Monday, I flew to Malam cove with a guy who burned almost 15Llr in two hours... He only just made it back.

Yikes, now that is one thirsty motor. Not seen a burn rate that high before. I would definitely be looking at alternatives.

25 minutes ago, Blackburn Mark said:

The Scout EOS four stroke looks to be (fundamentally) a Bailey V5 with what looks to be a very useful power increase but I will guarantee it will be too pricy for a skinflint like me!

That I think is a given.

Edit - the too pricey bit, not you being a skinflint 🤣

• Haha 1

On 18/09/2020 at 11:31, chrsfrwll said:

I've got all of that from my Atom 80 running Aspen fuel, plus it weighs a lot less. 😆

But does your atom 80 have 27hp? Lol

One big problem is that at lower loads the engines loose more efficiency(2 strokes are way worse in this aspect then 4 strokes). So a vittorazi engine while cruising is running at about 1/5 power and gets a calculated ~6% thermal efficiency. On the other hand your atom 80 is running at closer to 1/3 power cruising and thanks to this extra load gets roughly 8-9% thermal efficiency at said power. But at 90% throttle both engines are close to 10% efficient.

The big idea is that 4 strokes don't loose efficiency at low loads as bad as 2 strokes so that you can have the power of a big engine with the cruising efficiency of a small engine.

Edited by Bob27
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 8/20/2017 at 8:04 PM, Casper said:

So would an engine like the Moki 400cc 5 cylinder radial engine work? it's about 23hp and weight 9,2 kg. Since it have low rpm and high torque it should work as direct drive.
Or even better, the VM R5-420, 5 cylinder from Valach that have 25hp and weighs just 11,8 kg (without exhaust, many options there). Recommended propeller diameter for RC are up to 106cm for the wooden propellers. I'm almost sure a nice lightweight carbon propeller with a slightly bigger diameter would fit.

Biggest problem would be cooling as I see it, and maintance. Fuel economy is actually very good according to some websites (better than our 2strokes).
Ofc it's not an optimal engine for ppg, but I would love to show up with radial engine on my back, and the sound is magic!

I've sent a tentative enquiry to Valach. I too am curious about the 420cc radial. Probably not a workhorse but could be entertaining for little flights on a fine day. I'm just learning to fly. Not sure if the lack of clutch would be a dealbreaker.

250 shown below with enclosed valve train.

fm-250-r5-fs.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Hey I’m overjoyed to resurrect this old thread! On EOS’s website (eos-engine.com), they announce that their Quattro engine is in production and available as of last month!

I don’t know any other specifics beyond that it’s 276cc and is quoted at “2.2 to 2.8” liters per hour for 30.2 HP, weighing 19.8 kg.

This seems like it could be great competition for Vittorazi’s recently-released EFI-based Moster 185, which boasts similar power consumption but unfortunately relies on a battery good for only 3-5 hours of flight time, and which is not recharged in flight. Previously, my intent to solve the looong XC puzzle was to get an EFI-equipped Moster and attempt to add an alternator/generator to charge its battery, but this EOS engine finally being available is making me think twice. And thrice. Simply being able to not carry a limiting supply of two-stroke oil on long trips would be a major bonus by itself!

I can’t wait to see how it performs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chuckaeronut said:

This seems like it could be great competition for Vittorazi’s recently-released EFI-based Moster 185

19.8kg is a bit disappointing!
It looks to be based upon a Yamaha Cygnus Taiwanese after market 4 valve upgrade kit.

EOSQuatro2.thumb.jpg.1528681d34c33e31fde917fdcb47c8eb.jpg

16.9kg for the EFI Moster, 14.3kg for a standard Moster....  
A "claimed" 14kg for the EOS Quatro mk1  (I am gutted they abandoned this attempt)
The Quatro mk2 and the Moster EFI have gained enough weight to somewhat negate the fuel carry argument unless you do VERY long xc flights.

The weight is an issue for some of us old timers... The added complexity/abracadabra of EFI is a concern.

• Like 1