Scout's future 4 stroke paramotor

The80s

I'm super interested in this, mainly for the range and reliability. But I'm not gonna wait until 2020 for it to come around. I'll be flying something else when this comes out. If this turns out to be a true game changer though, then I'll probably get one.

I can't really see how this is going to be much if any lighter than the Bailey.  It's obviously still a GY6 top end.

I have the V5 and yes, it's a heavy machine, but it's perfectly manageable.   Power is adequate too.

I think this being a ......cue the utterly horrible phrase......'Game changer' is probably unlikely.

But I hope it is and I hope it brings more manufacturers into the 4stroke world.

Andy.

• 4 months later...

This info is on Scout’s site, I had missed it:

The project is still ON! We are back after a while with some new informations and the latest footage of a first true four stroke for a paramotor.

Stay tuned for more info.

4-Stroke
single cylinder
240cc
engine weight 14.4 kg with exhaust
power 27 HP
fuel consumption 2 litres per hour (86kg pilot + paramotor on 22sqm Ozone Viper 3)

On 16/08/2017 at 12:32, AndyB said:

In the world of Radio Control we have been using 4 strokes for years. If you want he best sounding paaramotor EVER then strap one of these on. These are super reliable and have more power than a Top80.

https://www.horizonhobby.com/airplanes/airplane-engines-15042--1/7-cylinder-260cc-4-stroke-gas-radial-engine-evoe7260

Discontinued?   

Definitely probably something I shouldn't even be looking at being completely new to this sport and still yet to buy my equipment.  

But it's interesting nonetheless. 

Edited by Rotten

On 06/04/2018 at 20:24, Casper said:

From last week:

Miroslav Svec 
The project is alive. This is a video from last week.
SHORT STORY: Still facing some issues but a solution is on the way. Hope to test again soon. 
LONG STORY:
The engine seems to run fine but there is a problem with oil above 7000 RPM. When piston moves down, it compresses the air below. That air moves to the top part of the engine (blue cover) and there is a breather to prevent over-pressure. The breather sucks air in and out with every cycle. Unfortunately, at higher RPM the fast moving air spits oil out of the breather. There are labyrinth channels to separate oil from this air but it obviously does not work perfect in certain engine position (lean forward). Next is to install a stand-alone oil separator and see how that works.

This is not a new problem. I bought one of the first Bailey v4 which was the first to have the easy start system on.  It spat oil out on the first few flights. Took it back, he ran it on a test rig & it was fine.  I strapped a  coke bottle on and fed the air breather pipe into the bottle.  I half filled the bottle on the next hour flight.  He had it back and modified the oil recovery plate. After that it was fine & he definitely sorted it on the V5.

Buy an old  V5 & look how he solved the problem. Don't reinvent the wheel just make it better (lighter & more powerful please and I will be ordering one !)

Edited by flyingfergus

• 1 year later...
3 hours ago, chuckaeronut said:

Please, please tell me the project is still underway! I'm profoundly attracted to the idea of being able to fly for 9-plus hours on a single 5 gallon tank. Not that my body could make it that far, but the camping/touring potential of such a rig would be near-endless!

The last I heard was that they had managed to squeeze 290cc into the latest test model (no idea how they have done this with a 57mm stud spacing// very long stroke maybe?)
They must be having problems of some description or other:
Reliability / feature creep / still blowing oil.... who knows?

Are you looking to add to an ultralight or use one as a paramotor?

• 3 weeks later...
On 19/08/2017 at 11:19, Scott Harcourt said:

Just for info, The EOS 4 stroke uses a GY6 engine, as does Bailey. It's a Honda designed engine https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/GY6_engine. Setting the valve clearance should be no harder than on a Bailey.

They thing about the GY6 engine is there is a massive aftermarket of tuning parts for these engines  you can ramp them up to silly power!

6 hours ago, Ben Butler said:

They thing about the GY6 engine is there is a massive aftermarket of tuning parts for these engines  you can ramp them up to silly power!

Also another angle looking at a factory "race" dirtbike, a 19' CR250F makes 42 hp out of 250cc, but the engine unit weighs maybe 60 lbs (28kg) probably because that includes the gearbox.  Imagine if they light-weighted this engine and de-tuned it 20%, they could get it under 30lbs (14kg) with over 30 hp.  We just need to get Honda leadership into paramotors, but I reckon Yamaha would be more open to the idea though 😄

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, steelmesh said:

Also another angle looking at a factory "race" dirtbike, a 19' CR250F makes 42 hp out of 250cc, but the engine unit weighs maybe 60 lbs (28kg) probably because that includes the gearbox.  Imagine if they light-weighted this engine and de-tuned it 20%, they could get it under 30lbs (14kg) with over 30 hp.  We just need to get Honda leadership into paramotors, but I reckon Yamaha would be more open to the idea though 😄

That would be a bit pricy!
You can pick up a new, complete 150cc GY6 for £170... parts are cheap up to 180cc.
A CRF250F, not so much and its not air-cooled so I have my doubts about getting it down to 14kg

15 minutes ago, Blackburn Mark said:

That would be a bit pricy!
You can pick up a new, complete 150cc GY6 for £170... parts are cheap up to 180cc.
A CRF250F, not so much and its not air-cooled so I have my doubts about getting it down to 14kg

With enough time and money anything is possible!  Note: I'm approaching this 4T dream engine as a Moster killer.   

I'm having a tough time getting an idea of what HP we're talking about with the GY6, also what is the mass?  I see the performance part dealers selling upgrades, but haven't seen an expected HP rating.  I found here-say source that claims 14hp at 12,000 rpms. 

The predator/honda clone scene looks a lot more supported, a lot more HP numbers to reference and even vendors are providing HP potential with their Stage kits, like nrracing.com claiming 20+hp with their Stage 4 kit.  Also, I can't see a full race engine build designed for the street able to handle sustained high RPM like a boating or aviation application.  Rebuild hours should exceed that of a 2T, this should be one of the benefits of a 4T engine over a 2T.

2 minutes ago, steelmesh said:

With enough time and money anything is possible!  Note: I'm approaching this 4T dream engine as a Moster killer.   

I'm having a tough time getting an idea of what HP we're talking about with the GY6, also what is the mass?  I see the performance part dealers selling upgrades, but haven't seen an expected HP rating.  I found here-say source that claims 14hp at 12,000 rpms. 

The predator/honda clone scene looks a lot more supported, a lot more HP numbers to reference and even vendors are providing HP potential with their Stage kits, like nrracing.com claiming 20+hp with their Stage 4 kit.  Also, I can't see a full race engine build designed for the street able to handle sustained high RPM like a boating or aviation application.  Rebuild hours should exceed that of a 2T, this should be one of the benefits of a 4T engine over a 2T.

Indeed!

Bailey V5 (190cc) claims 20hp and they have the V5s (210cc) maybe another 1hp, maybe not depending how they implemented.
Solid reliability, superb efficiency but no Moster killer.

The "predator/honda clone" is a bit of an odd lump with its integrated crankcase/cylinder but its OHV ought to save some weight but its potential for high RPM would be less than the GY6's OHC

The Scout GY6 has a small/tidy/light crankcase and is either 240cc (or 290cc so according to one report) ought to give the Moster a run for its money IF they ever get their ducks in a row but I am assuming they are still ironing out an issue or two :)

1 minute ago, Ben Butler said:

Has anyone tried a twin cylinder engine on a paramotor yet?

Iv seen a video of a DLE170 (opposing twin two stroke) Set up as a direct drive (small prop) such a shame as a re-drive with a 130cm prop would have been much more usable.
Very light, very noisy and I "assume" not very good for long term use without frequent rebuilds.

• Like 1

On 17/03/2020 at 17:16, alan_k said:

There is the Bailey hornet plus others about.

Norbert used to fly a twin cylinder direct prop drive for many years, about 320cc and heavy but very reliable, trying to think of the make, JPX 320 perhaps?

Hi Alan

This is my jpx330 on a zenith frame, been at PMC fly ins a few times, heavy but reliable and cool. 

20151025_134059.jpg