Paramotor Purchase

Capotec2015

Hi,

I am at the considering stage of a paramotor purchase. I need something that either starts electrically or a very easy manual start and ideally clutched too -although thats not crucial. I'm looking for good second hand. I have seen an Airconception but also a Parajet Volution and never having owned either I wondered if anyone has any experience/opinion. The AC looks quite a bit lighter than the PJ but i'm looking for pro's and cons of each. If anyone has any info, I would be interested to hear. Thanks.

Welcome to PMC and paramotoring. I wouldn't spend too much time asking questions on forums, it's all been asked before so the answers are there to find but you will have various answers with most people recommending what they themselves fly (or sell!). Try to get to a local school or try to meet up with pilots when they are going flying (post your location on the members map). If you can get to Membury airfield when the weather is good you will get to see a lot of kit and be able to ask endless questions. :-) 

On 30/07/2017 at 00:56, tonyjwheeler said:

My Nirvana Rodeo?  I am thinking of selling for a new motor.  Contact me if interested - not advertised yet.  Perfect working with only around 15 hrs since rebuild.

I have a Nirvana Rodeo. Mine is the 200cc Simonini mini 2 plus engine. The Rodeo is a great paramotor unit, very high quality and comfortable. Thing to keep in mind, is that the Rodeo is high hang point (no weighshift). Its still a wonderful paramotor to fly and very reliable.

The downside the a unit like mine is the weight...200cc engines are very heavy (18.5 kg just the engine itself not including the paramotor frame and harness etc), all up flying weight for the Rodeo 200cc is about 35kg including fuel. It wouldnt make much difference what ppg unit you buy, most of the weight is in the engine, fuel, and reserve. 

Irrespective of all the marketing hype, if you want lightweight, you really do have to consider a small engine.

Edited by adamjedgar

5 hours ago, adamjedgar said:

I have a Nirvana Rodeo. Mine is the 200cc Simonini mini 2 plus engine. The Rodeo is a great paramotor unit, very high quality and comfortable. Thing to keep in mind, is that the Rodeo is high hang point (no weighshift). Its still a wonderful paramotor to fly and very reliable.

The downside the a unit like mine is the weight...200cc engines are very heavy (18.5 kg just the engine itself not including the paramotor frame and harness etc), all up flying weight for the Rodeo 200cc is about 35kg including fuel. It wouldnt make much difference what ppg unit you buy, most of the weight is in the engine, fuel, and reserve. 

Irrespective of all the marketing hype, if you want lightweight, you really do have to consider a small engine.

Adam,

I fly the Rodeo too of course and I am very happy with it .  The AC Nitro 200 is very light though.  The Rodeo is about 30kg with no fuel whereas the Nitro is just under 21kgs.  9Kg is a lot and I am sure will feel significantly different on my back.  I would miss the other Rodeo features though and I'm pretty sure that the Nirvana Simonini produces more thrust for less fuel burn too - but it's always about compromise and I am starting to favour a lighter model with slightly advancing years - and a desire to reduce the likelihood of injury with slightly less than ideal landings and aborted forwards at high speed (something that recently kept me off flying for over 2 weeks!)

I've also got the 3-blade prop, Skyflar strobe, big reserve, and a PPG Meter fitted - all adding to the all-up-weight - and all totally self-inflicted of course.  Throw in the GoPro, Icaro Rollbar helmet, camera, mobile phone, good boots, etc, etc, and I am probably carrying half my body weight in kit when fuelled up.

Edited by tonyjwheeler