top 80 head gasket

I don't know if it would have any effect on starting, but yes, replace it with a proper gasket.  They do them in a variety of thicknesses. Look up the correct  'squish' value, I would start here Southwest Airsports , they have loads of step by step 'how to' guides. 

However, I think that I read somewhere that the early Top80's didn't have a gasket..........but I'm not sure.

I check the torque on the head of my Top80 every 20 hrs.

Good luck,

Christian

Top80s have an rubber O ring head gasket, had to replace mine after head bolts came loose after 6 hours from new and hot gases destroyed the O ring, will almost certainly affect starting/compression/running if the O ring is damaged or missing. Maybe depends how old the Top80 is but if it is meant to take an O ring, there is a O ring shaped indent in the mating surfaces of the cylinder head. I think I got mine at http://www.miniplane.co.uk/equipment/head-o-ring/

Steve

The O ring and the gasket are different things, although they should be replaced together.  On this engine diagram 11a is the O ring and 14a is the gasket.  In the past I have bought a selection of gasket thickenesses because you don't know which one you will need until you come to re-assemble.

When the engines are new you are supposed to re-torque the head at 2 hour and then 5 hour intervals, after that every 20 hours.

Christian

Here we go trial and error .looks as if the gasket goes under the block and the o ring on the head,.No problem there ,i suppose the serial number will determine the squish.

I have sent of for them now and going to trust Russ will send me the right oneso.O

1 minute ago, cas_whitmore said:

14a is a base gasket .   Miniwings mentioned head gasket . My top 80 also has a oring for compression seal .

cas . 

Got that Cas,but now i got to work out the squish Trish ,i feel like taking my life,and b4 i can do this i gota get it timed up

I dont think i can go on,O.o