Understanding VFR Chart

Matt Disney

I was wondering if anyone can help me understand my local VFR Chart? I'm soon going to be taking PPG lessons, but I'm trying to work out if I will be able to fly from farm land near my home. I have attached a pic of the chart. The red arrow points roughly to where I live.

All help and advice would be appreciated.

Cheers, 

Matt

VFR Chart 1.jpg

The red line (with hashes) just left of you is "an area of intense aerial activity Mon to Fri" which usually means the RAF use that area. I have the same around where I live (North Yorks moors). Typhoon jets take off from Teesside then fly over low the moors. I always check the Notams to see what they are up to.

The dashed blue line, shaded solid blue to your South is the East Midlands airport Control Zone. Controlled airspace from surface to 10,500 feet. Total no go area.

The blue lines with solid blue shading to your south west are controlled airspace, moving out from East Midlands airport ie controlled from 2500 to 10,500 then 4000 to 10,500 then 5500 to 10,500 then 7500 to 10,500. You can fly under these.

The circles (except Langar) are Class G, uncontrolled airspace around small airfields...best kept clear of!

Langar is a parachuting zone from surface to 15,000 feet. Keep clear.

• Upvote 1

Nope. They are usually advisory, but be careful, there can be inconsistencies depending on whose maps you look at.

On the Notam site, the advisories are black line. http://notaminfo.com/ukmap Have a play with the various tick boxes to add/remove different types of airspace.

The second red line on your map may be an FIR, flight information region aimed at those flying on instruments.

• Upvote 2