POLINI THOR 100 SUPPORT

vseyes

Hi, I am new to para motoring, I have a Polini Thor 100, can anyone tell me if there is any formal UK support for this machine, and a contact for them? I do have a minor leak in the exhaust/head outlet, but before I dismantle to investigate can anyone tell me if there is a replaceable gasket in that area.  Thank you.

Well its flyable, but it has got marginally worse over time, I have to wipe spots off the prop after each flight and there seems to be a black 'flow' across the crankcase which I have to keep wiping. Wasn't sure if a gasket or gunge was the answer. coolhand and steve, I appreciate your assistance you have given me some leads and excellent info, thank you.

You always get muck on the prop - there is the other end of the exhaust nearby too. :-) 

I've clean the oily flow off the crankcase every now and again. I suspect that if it was blowing properly you'd hear it. 

Which oil and at what ratio are you using?

I have the Thor 100 and it has leaked to some degree from the exhaust manifold join since day one. The design of it is poor in the sense that when you tighten the two nuts to attach the short manifold section it distorts the flange so tightening them more to try and cure the leak only makes it worse. I have gone through about 4 or 5 gaskets now, each of which will start off ok with only minor drips and after a while the extent of the leaking gets worse with oil running all down the crankcase after each flight. 

It seems that all you can do is make sure the flange isn't badly distorted then fit a new gasket and don't over torque the nuts.

• 3 weeks later...
16 hours ago, vseyes said:

Steve

Sorry for delay Steve - been away. Castrol TTS 2%, soon changing to Castrol Power 1 racing as TTS no longer available. 

Give Motul 800 a go, it's much better (in my opinion) and is also recommended by Polini. You run it at 1.5%.