Newbie here with a few questions.........

Hello everyone, my name is Chris and I'm a first time poster to this forum and brand new to paramotoring/paragliding.........

I am DEFINITELY going to buy either a paramotor or a paraglider and I just have a few questions for those of you seasoned veterans.......

I live in Knoxville, TN (near the Smokey Mountains) and I want to be able to get outdoors with one of these things and explore. I'd also like to be able to fly around the mountains near where I live as well as fly distances from one city to another (if that's at all possible.) It's also very important to me that I be able to carry passengers because I want to be able to share this experience with others.

My questions are.........

1) Based on what I want to do, what type of paraglider/paramotor would be best for me to purchase?

2) How much total money should I expect to spend?

3) Where do I find training to do this?

4) Are there any FAA rules that I have to follow such as I can't fly over certain areas or I need to get some kind of a license to do this?

Your feedback would be much appreciated and I look forward to getting to know you all on this forum, thanks!

Chris.

Chris, I am a long way from being a seasoned veteran. I've got about 6hrs in the air over about 15 flights so still have a lot to learn. I'm maybe just getting to the point where I can start to appreciate how little i actually know !

I'll try to answer your questions - most of them are questions I asked myself so hear goes....

1) Get training first. The very worst thing you can do is go out and buy equipment with no idea of teh kind of flying you want to end up doing. Do you want high hangpoint/low hangpoint? Lightweight or more durable? Faster smaller wing or bigger easier wing? Get trained first !  I bought my wing about 2 training days before my 1st flight and my motor after my second flight.

2) Depends on what you buy. I spent about $10k but that was all new. You can spend less by getting second hand.

3) I live in the UK so really don't know. A lot of people really rate AviatorPPG based in Florida, but I think they are opening affiliated schools US-wide. The two people that get very mixed opinions are Capt. Kurt and Dell Schaanze. Dell seems to be a bit of an ego-maniac and from his videos has a pretty poor attitude to safety - flying without helmets, tandem flights with passengers in beach-wear etc.

4) The main one for the US is FAR part 103 - I don't know it, have a google.

Tandems/Passengers - you'd need w hole heap of experience and training before even thinking of taking a passenger up - it would have to be a long term goal !

Hope this is useful and the very best of luck !

On 6/12/2017 at 19:22, Hodders said:

Chris, I am a long way from being a seasoned veteran. I've got about 6hrs in the air over about 15 flights so still have a lot to learn. I'm maybe just getting to the point where I can start to appreciate how little i actually know !

I'll try to answer your questions - most of them are questions I asked myself so hear goes....

1) Get training first. The very worst thing you can do is go out and buy equipment with no idea of teh kind of flying you want to end up doing. Do you want high hangpoint/low hangpoint? Lightweight or more durable? Faster smaller wing or bigger easier wing? Get trained first !  I bought my wing about 2 training days before my 1st flight and my motor after my second flight.

2) Depends on what you buy. I spent about $10k but that was all new. You can spend less by getting second hand.

3) I live in the UK so really don't know. A lot of people really rate AviatorPPG based in Florida, but I think they are opening affiliated schools US-wide. The two people that get very mixed opinions are Capt. Kurt and Dell Schaanze. Dell seems to be a bit of an ego-maniac and from his videos has a pretty poor attitude to safety - flying without helmets, tandem flights with passengers in beach-wear etc.

4) The main one for the US is FAR part 103 - I don't know it, have a google.

Tandems/Passengers - you'd need w hole heap of experience and training before even thinking of taking a passenger up - it would have to be a long term goal !

Hope this is useful and the very best of luck !

Thank you very much Hodders, I appreciate your feedback. In your opinion, what do you think about Captain Kurt and his equipment? He says he will come to where I live and train me for FREE!! I know I have to then purchase his equipment but is there a hidden catch that I need to be aware of here?

The links I would point you at are:

http://www.footflyer.com/Safety/Training/Free_Paramotor_Training.htm It's a page all about Kurt.

Jeff Goin (who runs footflyer) is a guy that had been in the sport for ages - His book "the Powered Paragliding Bible" is one of the most widely recommended books I know.

At the end of the day it is your choice, but the training you receive is vital.