Flywheel

miniwing2

engine is now apart and the timing had slipped and there was no woodruff key{strange that} anyone els  had one apart and found the same.can somone give me a link to the uk supplies or if anyone has got spaes plastic fan ect,also dose ayone know what the flywheel gap is.cheers

Yes previous thread, once i had established that the engilne wasnt flooded causing compresion,i had to take the flywheel off and what a game it is,only to find that there was no key in the keyway putting the timing out and at a guess thirty thou gap,and the screws tight so it must have been set at that,so its get up and brush the dust off yet again.cheers Casper

I've had parts from Danny at flypapuk, also miniplane uk ,both excellent to deal with . And I set the coil/flywheel gap @12thou"

incase it helps ' I've had trouble with damaged crank tapper shafts after its spun on the shaft . So I use a bit of valve grinding paste to lap them together ' then heat up the flywheel boss with paint stripper  gun for a few mins ' get built up with woodruff key 

ect ' should get a nice shrink fit .    Thought I'd share ' might help .

cas 

You can't make a Woodruff key, there's no slot in the crank for one. Most PPG motors are like this as they are made from various different scooter parts and haven't been designed to fit together. I have just put my Miniplane flywheel back on after changing the crankshaft oil seals. I timed it up using Had Robinson's excellent website (link above), it was pretty straight forward with dial gauge down the plug hole (cheap off eBay). Miniplane UK are excellent for Top80 spares.

thanks for the information regarding the absence of the woodruff key .Mine is an early model and has a groove for a key,and i have made one to fit.the only problem

i have is there is a slight discrepancy regarding the messurment from the left side of the hole on the flywheel and the leading edge of the coil 40mm .i have 36mm..

12 hours ago, miniwing2 said:

thanks for the information regarding the absence of the woodruff key .Mine is an early model and has a groove for a key,and i have made one to fit.the only problem

i have is there is a slight discrepancy regarding the messurment from the left side of the hole on the flywheel and the leading edge of the coil 40mm .i have 36mm..

It sounds like the timing will be out then (a pic would be good though). The parts weren't made for each other they most likely will not align correctly (Miniplane would have fitted the key if it was simple and saved time at assembly in the factory). It is possible to buy (make) Woodruff keys with an offset if you really need one, but I would just lap the shaft/ flywheel with some grinding past before torquing up. It's fairly unusual for them to slip, it probably wasn't fitted perfectly in the factory. I would steer clear of heating the flywheel and fitting it, you'll never get it off again and you need to, to change the seals etc at 400ish hours

Thanks Savage at last sence is starting to emerge,Cascant have the same set up,I think you are spot on the timing will be out,is it any wonder the riveted plate has holes in it i doubt weather i will get rivets big enough to bite due to the amount of times the B-------d has been apart due to the missleading engerneering ,the world is goin backwards.now i cantpost a photo Grrrrrr

Seems like you are getting there. Just for future reference, you should be able to remove the fan and all the black metal casing without having to drill out the casing rivets. First you need to remove the starter posts (finger screws) so the fan is loose, then you will find you can get an Alan key through 4 holes in the front of the casing (the bit you have removed in the picture) to undo the 4 bolts that hold the casing on (the fan stays in the casing when you lift it all off). It will be easier to see the marks on the flywheel in relation to the coil too.

Good luck.

Stuart.

• 3 weeks later...

Right for the second time i am about to assemble my flywheel and fan having cross threaded the finger screw on the first attempt.so now got all new kit ,so on with the flywheel on with the fan,on with the spacers,on with the trident bracket,and guess wot the finger screws dont line up,in fact they are half a hole out. i am shure i am not the only one to come up against this issue,.Just wounded what Miniplane are doing to rectify this problem as i am shure they know it exists,jack shit i expect.

Just an update on top 80 timing reset.Just managed to secure a loan against my house to buy moore rivets now on there way from China..got it all back together at 4 this morning ,and guess wot,it day start .got the 14 mm bang on but 14 mm takes it off the coil,so messured the old coil against the new one and found the magnet on the new coil is one eigth of an inch smaller which takes one pole outside the coil,this can be felt when i pull it bite 1 is at TDC and bite 2 must be the spark.Like i say wots going on..I am tempted to aline the back edge of coil with the front of the magnet this will take it down to 41mm .i have sett chainsaws and never had this sh1te going on.greatfull for any input even from the people who make the darn thing.Russ from Miniplane has been an absolute rock with service and guidance,who else could you ring up in the middle of a candle lite wedding aniversary and spend an hour on the phone talking flywheel and not bat an eyelid..

On 5/30/2017 at 15:39, savage said:

You can't make a Woodruff key, there's no slot in the crank for one. Most PPG motors are like this as they are made from various different scooter parts and haven't been designed to fit together. I have just put my Miniplane flywheel back on after changing the crankshaft oil seals. I timed it up using Had Robinson's excellent website (link above), it was pretty straight forward with dial gauge down the plug hole (cheap off eBay). Miniplane UK are excellent for Top80 spares.

Are you 100% sure :?:,  Most might be like you say but Not all are as can be seen by his pictures :roll:

• 1 month later...

It should look like the 9th picture down on this page-

http://www.elpasoparagliding.com/ppgtechinfo/top80/hrservicenotes/timing/timing.htm

i.e the 14mm line, in line with the leading edge of the magnet when the piston is at TDC.

(It takes a bit of trial and error and I am not sure how accurate your pencil mark on the piston is? The dial gauges are cheap on ebay and accurate. I clamped mine to the cooling fins rather than fitting to the spark plug hole).