safe heights

calcifer

Hello to everybody,

I was thinking about what could be the safest height range during a cross country flight... assumed that a height of abt. 650 ft. is the minimum safe height in order to be able to deploy the emergency in case of need, which is the maximum height before you can start to feel unsafe wind speeds and turbulences ??

14 hours ago, calcifer said:

Hello to everybody,

I was thinking about what could be the safest height range during a cross country flight... assumed that a height of abt. 650 ft. is the minimum safe height in order to be able to deploy the emergency in case of need, which is the maximum height before you can start to feel unsafe wind speeds and turbulences ??

there is no max height for wind speed and turbulance.

especially turbulance/rotor - that is far less likely the higher you go.

wind speed does tend to get higher as you go higher but not ridiculously so. 

It depends on weather conditions, etc.

I usually fly cross country - I'm usually between 500 and 6000 feet. To a high extent (clouds, weather, wind gradient, airspace, etc permitting) - the higher you go, the safer you are:

- more gliding range

- more landing opportunities

- more time to restart an engine

- more time to recover a wing, or throw a reserve.

Obviously it does get colder with alti - look at lapse rate:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lapse_rate

but basically about 3 degrees per 1000 feet.

So always wrap up. 

I flew about 40 miles tonight across suffolk. It was a Easterly wind of about 8mph on the ground. There wasn't much strength in it, and I flew flight at between 100 and 2500 feet. At 2500 or so (over built up areas) it was around 12mph wind.

It was 20 degrees on the ground, but I flew with trousers, base layer, fleece, then light wind stopping fligtht suit and gloves. As the sun set I was glad of it.

On the way back (flying with the wind), you can see i made a bit more progress.

stu

Screenshot_2017-05-24-21-49-52.png

• Upvote 2

I just flew a 20 mile cross country from a Costa Del Sol beach to the Crystalina Mountains and the town of Casares. I will post the video later. The mountains go to 4500 feet and Casares is at 2000. I took off at 7.45 (6.45 your time) and after getting to 1000 feet I set a straight course for Casares and headed inland. It was still very thermal and bumpy. As I head towards Casares, the terrain gets very rough, with few good landing sites.......so I go higher to 2000 feet. Better air, but still bumpy. I think even the cam looks like it got roller coastered. However, the wing never even so much as dipped at edge - I sat looking up filming the wing as I got thrown around! I went to 3000 over Casares to maintain safe height and keep glide options open near the mountains. I flew round the back of the town, then headed back for the coast. There are amazing views this evening. Puerto Banus and Marbella to the left and to the right, Gibraltar with the north coast of Africa behind it.

On 2017-05-25 at 22:08, AndyB said:

I just flew a 20 mile cross country from a Costa Del Sol beach to the Crystalina Mountains and the town of Casares. I will post the video later. The mountains go to 4500 feet and Casares is at 2000. I took off at 7.45 (6.45 your time) and after getting to 1000 feet I set a straight course for Casares and headed inland. It was still very thermal and bumpy. As I head towards Casares, the terrain gets very rough, with few good landing sites.......so I go higher to 2000 feet. Better air, but still bumpy. I think even the cam looks like it got roller coastered. However, the wing never even so much as dipped at edge - I sat looking up filming the wing as I got thrown around! I went to 3000 over Casares to maintain safe height and keep glide options open near the mountains. I flew round the back of the town, then headed back for the coast. There are amazing views this evening. Puerto Banus and Marbella to the left and to the right, Gibraltar with the north coast of Africa behind it.

Looking forward to see that video.

• 4 weeks later...

Height is always good but I was talking to an RAF heli pilot from Benson over a beer and he reckoned around 750 is a good place to be in a paramotor on the basis tactical raf choppers will be below 500 and light aircraft bimble around above a thousand.  

• Upvote 1