Tornado 280 paramotor engine from Air Conception

custom-vince

2 hours ago, Casper said:

2 years warranty, so who cares? :) I just want one as soon as possible.

Edit: that climb in the video is sick!

The warranty is good, but I have made some mistakes in the past. I'll keep my old motor just in case and wait half a year at least. I have to anyway, need to work extra now for a while to get the money. 

My apartment renovation just might to have to wait some again :)

On 10/23/2017 at 13:19, andre_74 said:

Yeah - a lot of power for a steep climb. A few of these might end up in a climb/stall/dive/in-the-dirt scenario in the wrong hands! :D

I would assume it's all a matter of moderation and control. You wouldn't just go to full power any time you felt like it. Only under the right circumstances. And you wouldn't keep it going at full power until the point that it becomes dangerous. Those who use this beast smartly and reasonably should be just fine. I know it goes without saying, but I'm just trying to keep myself from being scared away from this thing. :D

I wonder if this will also have the option for a b 2 blade prop instead of the 3 blade prop?

Edited by The80s

16 minutes ago, The80s said:

I would assume it's all a matter of moderation and control. You wouldn't just go to full power any time you felt like it. Only under the right circumstances. And you wouldn't keep it going at full power until the point that it becomes dangerous. Those who use this beast smartly and reasonably should be just fine. I know it goes without saying, but I'm just trying to keep myself from being scared away from this thing. :D

I wonder if this will also have the option for a bi-prop instead of the tri-prop?

I did say ‘in the wrong hands’. ?

From Eric: 

Three blade will be standard. More thrust, better efficiency. Lots of testing behind them, lots more ahead of us! (Talking about regular Tornado)

I’ll be testing two, three, and four blade variants of the XL this month. (Talking about Tornado XL)

On 2017-10-23 at 22:03, Casper said:

Vince, care to explain the difference with the acro arms vs the standard on the air conception?

Is 16mm cage standard on the titanium, or is it the 12mm? Is the 12mm flimsy compared to the 16mm?

The vibration mounts, have anyone tried with the viking ppg engine mounts on the nitro? was there a big difference?

Apco split vs AC/sup'air. Is there a big difference in the weight shift/fun factor? Worth to get both?

Will it land above or below ~£6500 with e-start and clutch?

What would be the biggest upgrade you could do to an Air Conception when you have purchased one?

I'm getting really hungry for this one now... had 17 hours overtime last week just for this :)

I bump this and add, will it be the WB37 carb? Or is it too small? And will it be modified to only factory settings?

Will we see clutch and e-start in November? And by the way, have the clutch been reliable so far?

• 2 weeks later...

Some new info from the french forum, they started out with a PESZKE propeller, but will change to e-props, apparently lack of commitment from PESZKE...

They are looking at e-prop two blade 125, 130 and 150. And also three blade 130 cm.

And also what we all want the hear 36 HP and between 82-90 kg thrust!

Edited by Casper
  • Thanks 2

On 27/10/2017 at 17:16, Casper said:

Vince, care to explain the difference with the acro arms vs the standard on the air conception?

Is 16mm cage standard on the titanium, or is it the 12mm? Is the 12mm flimsy compared to the 16mm?

The vibration mounts, have anyone tried with the viking ppg engine mounts on the nitro? was there a big difference?

Apco split vs AC/sup'air. Is there a big difference in the weight shift/fun factor? Worth to get both?

Will it land above or below ~£6500 with e-start and clutch?

What would be the biggest upgrade you could do to an Air Conception when you have purchased one?

I'm getting really hungry for this one now... had 17 hours overtime last week just for this :)

will it be the WB37 carb? Or is it too small? And will it be modified to only factory settings?

Will we see clutch and e-start in November? And by the way, have the clutch been reliable so far?

Sorry I kept missing this..

Acro arms are thicker wall tubing than standard arms, they are a little heavier, other than that they look the same.

16mm is standard hoop tube diameter with nitro and tornado.

Viking mounts were horrible, I have tried them in the past with various engines. All on light weight paramotors, so maybe they work ok with a heavy machine.

APCO split for me at 6'2" was way to short in the leg, feeling perched. ok for short flights, feels compact. The supair has a much better seat.

£6500, oh good question, I dont know exact prices yet £300-400 premium over a nitro. So it should land below £6500

Im not sure on the carb,  I do know it has been modified.

I dont think you will see clutch or anything much till Jan.

Initial clutch on the nitro was to soft and was wearing sooner than expected. The fibre material was improved and the shoes widened and is proving reliable. The Tornado has a similar but new design clutch which will be kept close for a while.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

From Laurent: 

TORNADO engine

Dear pilots. We have heard some speculations about our new engine these last days, so we think it can be important to give some details. Tornado 280 prototypes actually under testing are made with 73mm pistons and 65mm stroke. That make them be exactly 272cc. Final stroke will be announced before first commercial units will be release. To give even more details, we can says that final stroke will be between 64 and 68mm, that will make engine be between 268 and 285cc. Final piston and cylinder bore will stay 73mm.
Commercial name of the Tornado will stay TORNADO 280.
Best flights to all of you !

Also:

You will be able to choose : 2 blabes 125cm, 130cm and 150cm. 3 blades 130cm. All eprops models.

And from Eric replying to a question about the Tornado:

Any price yet?

Next month.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Or ~90kg because 150cm prop was mentioned when Laurent said the rough specs. No need to hype this any extra, it will still be insane with 82+ kg :)
It won't beat the Thor 250 on thrust, but will be much lighter, and that makes it much more fun and accessible.

From e-prop about the Thor 250:

- Engine Polini Thor 250 red 2,8, E-Props propellers with diameter 130 cm =>

2-blades = thrust of 89 kg

3-blades = thrust of 94 kg

4-blades = thrust of 97 kg

By E-Props, the 4-blades propellers have been designed with a special concept to reduce the noise. It is the QD2 concept : a 4-blades composed of 2 x 2-blades with different angles to reduce the noise and increase the performances. Noise reduction in comparison with a standard propeller : about 6 decibels.

So if the engine becomes popular I hope we will see a four blade option like the thor 250. But I wonder, is it just noise reduction compared to a standard four bladed propeller or compared to a standard two bladed e-prop.