Tornado 280 paramotor engine from Air Conception

custom-vince

• 4 weeks later...

I just received the engine number from my dealer, they shay shipping will be mid month.  That makes sense, considering I was about 3 weeks from getting my engine number to shipment for my nitro. I'm really looking forward to flying them both side by side and reviewing from 100hr advanced beginner's perspective. I have the Ti, Electric start clutch, Large frame tornado on the way.  i'm 45 years old and a very in shape 106 kilos. I have no problem launching my Sirocco 2 26 with the nitro in nil wind.  I excited to go smaller on the wing with the tornado, maybe a freeride 21 or 23.   I am sooo excited.

Guest chrisg547
12 hours ago, Anderstj0mills said:

I just received the engine number from my dealer, they shay shipping will be mid month.  That makes sense, considering I was about 3 weeks from getting my engine number to shipment for my nitro. I'm really looking forward to flying them both side by side and reviewing from 100hr advanced beginner's perspective. I have the Ti, Electric start clutch, Large frame tornado on the way.  i'm 45 years old and a very in shape 106 kilos. I have no problem launching my Sirocco 2 26 with the nitro in nil wind.  I excited to go smaller on the wing with the tornado, maybe a freeride 21 or 23.   I am sooo excited.

PM'd

Edited by chrisg547

• 4 weeks later...
Guest chrisg547
On 04/05/2018 at 23:41, custom-vince said:

Both. E.start and e.start with clutch. 

My understanding is the 150 frame is same reduction ratio, just a prop pitch change where as the 165 frame has a new reduction. 

Any guess as to the thrust of a 150 frame with 3 blade 140 on the Nitro?

Guest chrisg547
On 01/11/2018 at 22:16, PPG7G said:

Does anyone know if the engine will be available by itself without the Paramotor frame?

I'd like to put it on another unit.  

I've heard you might be lucky if you know someone, who knows someone. But I'm sure they only sell them on frames.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to let all know of my amazing luck;

Last Thursday I called Air Conception about buying a Tornado 280 and the lead times -- a customer had changed his mind and they had exactly what I wanted sitting there in stock!  I bought it and will get it on Wednesday! A total of 7 days!  Yup I am a bit excited...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

my weight 84kg, 19m ozone freeride wing. UK launching only a few hundred feet above sea level. I have averaged 4.5lph on the tornado, just fun flying. Not conservative but not all out. I cannot climb out at full throttle so that will be helping my economy, typical full climb my max throttle is 3/4, I can actually climb on less which is something I do often on all my machines, quiet and gentle climbs. I only hit full throttle at sudden peaks, when banking hard or hedge hopping. With the extra power of Tornado, I use full throttle less than I do with my Nitro.

Vibration, it is a bit smoother than traditional nitro but I would say not greatly smoother than a nitro on a race2 frame, there the chassis is designed more to accommodate the pilot, all reducing transferred vibration.

Nitro 150 frame with 3x 140 prop. the power is between standard frame and XL 165 frame. estimate about 75kg

• Thanks 1

comparing the tornado to my parajet zenith with bailey v5.

it feels like the bailey has finer throttle control than the tornado (easier to footdrag with the bailey)

another thing to get used to is if you let off on the throttle, the powerloss is instant, you swing backward when you suddenly drop the throttle.

40% - 50% power on the tornado feels like 100% power on the bailey.

All the throttles have about the same amount of travel. Since the Tornando is MUCH more powerful a 1 mm change in throttle position will have a correspondingly much larger change in power. The only way to alter that is to have a throttle with a much greater travel.....or design something new and do what we do with RC models, where we have programmable throttle response and can make the mid range flatter....or even use dual rates so that flicking a switch alters the sensitivity.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/12/2018 at 22:18, OddManOut said:

Just wanted to let all know of my amazing luck;

Last Thursday I called Air Conception about buying a Tornado 280 and the lead times -- a customer had changed his mind and they had exactly what I wanted sitting there in stock!  I bought it and will get it on Wednesday! A total of 7 days!  Yup I am a bit excited...

Did you buy your unit directly from AC? If so, how does that affect price, and how do you handle warranty issues? I'm so used to hearing people talk about AviatorPPG (for example) and how great they are with customer service, it makes me wonder what dealing with AC directly is like. 

On 16/01/2019 at 06:15, custom-vince said:

my weight 84kg, 19m ozone freeride wing. UK launching only a few hundred feet above sea level. I have averaged 4.5lph on the tornado, just fun flying. Not conservative but not all out. I cannot climb out at full throttle so that will be helping my economy, typical full climb my max throttle is 3/4, I can actually climb on less which is something I do often on all my machines, quiet and gentle climbs. I only hit full throttle at sudden peaks, when banking hard or hedge hopping. With the extra power of Tornado, I use full throttle less than I do with my Nitro.

Vibration, it is a bit smoother than traditional nitro but I would say not greatly smoother than a nitro on a race2 frame, there the chassis is designed more to accommodate the pilot, all reducing transferred vibration.

Nitro 150 frame with 3x 140 prop. the power is between standard frame and XL 165 frame. estimate about 75kg

I too live at only a few hundred feet above sea level. The type of flying you describe (fun flying, not conservative or all out) sounds like exactly what I have in mind. So the 4.5lph sounds absolutely fantastic! (Though I'm certain my wing will be bigger than 19m....probably somewhere around 26m - 28m). And with the 150cm XL prop, flying under the conditions you described, I wonder if I could do better than 4.5lph? Or worse? Light, fun, easy XC flying sounds nice, and with a 15L tank, that should hopefully give me at least 2 hours of flying time. Hopefully more if I can hit 4.5lph or better. 

Also, the way you describe taking off and not having to use full throttle, that's what I've had in mind as well. I like the idea of being able to do that and not having to go all the way to full throttle to get up and out. But I also like the idea of having the full power there when and if I need it (such as for extremely high climbs or getting up and over tall mountains quickly). 

Otherwise, now I'm just trying to figure out if I want a clutch or not. I've heard arguments for and against both. On one hand, people say a clutch allows for a windmilling prop which supposedly kills glide ratio. On the other, they say a clutch massively cuts down on vibration at idle. I can't decide which is more important to me. I'd guess good glide ratio, but I don't want to deal with jackhammering vibrations day in and day out when at idle. 

• 4 weeks later...

how long do you idle?

The vibration is always more on a lighter machine as there is not the weight in the cassis to smooth it out. I have had various machines over the years and actually the moster in the AC frame had the most vibration, it was smoother in the zenith but then thats a 6.5kg chassis with a 1.2kg helix prop vs a 2.5kg chassis and a 600g prop.

All that said the race2 frame has changed the geometry some what, so while standing on the ground you can feel the engine, in flight with curved back bars the harness is more floating in position rather than leaning on the frame, reducing transferred vibration. For 99% of actual AC pilots the vibration question is a non event. I have never really noticed it being drastically different to any other paramotor except for a counter balanced engine. It was something started and pushed about on facebook by a competitor, I welcome owners comments.

The clutch non clutch vibration difference is very small. The tornado I flew was maybe a little smoother than my nitro, its hard to tell. It was also a 3 blade 140cm vs a 2 blade

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...