17 000 feet. Review from Winged Monkeys Paramoto Team.

Thanks, it is good to know that it is helpful :-D

As for the Oxygen, I have asked this question to BHPA, they say it is not mandatory for us to have the Oxygen on board and to use it up to 14000 feet. However (personaly) I can see the difference from 11500 feet  already and will try to get it on board anyway when we fly high next time.

thanks - appreciated. 

frankly it's one of those things most pilots will only do once for the gimmick of it I imagine.

I've had two flights up beyond 10k* - and though they were both fun, they were also very very cold, and I did feel a bit exposed up there - best will in the world - no GA pilots are gonna be looking for you up there (no jokes about GA pilots not looking whatever alti yer at...). It's good to know others are free to have a go if they want to.

So now we know the law allows it, here's a few tips for those wanting to attempt it:

- limit yourself to 10k first time

- check you have class G up to that level +1k or so 

- use common sense - some class G is busier than others - chose somewhere quiet.

- only do this in near zero wind - since at alti, it will be windier and it will make things tricker for land outs, etc.

- fly with ground speed indicator (e.g. GPS) since at 10k you won't be able to tell if you are making progress/flying backwards in wind

- fly upwind all the way to 10k - so your options are open for the decent - worst case engine out and you will still be ok to get back

- if possible fly on radio with a friend, or even with a friend on ground - even 10k can effect some people with the lack of oxygen. comms might help them notice it's affects on you/

- wrap up massively warmly. at approx 3 degrees per 1000 feet, it's gonna be maybe 30 degrees colder than ground at 10k. wear face mask, gloves, multiple layers.

- take a camera :-) post on youtube, and then enjoy as 'americuns' start commenting that it's an illusion, and that the earth is flat

*well a third, was just below 10k in Slovenia to try to clear Triglav, so I won't count that un.

Brilliant write up. I'm being very pedantic here but the standard atmospheric model is based on a temperature reduction of 1.98 degrees per thousand feet elevation (although this is usually shortened to 2 degrees per thousand feet).