Ground Handling / Tips, Questions

Hello all

I am quite new to all this. I have an ITV Jedi 26, should this wing stay above my head when Ground Handling with no hands / no brakes.

so after I have pulled the wing up, stopping it from over shooting  me with a bit of breaks.

should I be able to keep it there with no hands or is this just on some wings?

alan_k

Depends absolutely on the wind strength.

So is your answer yes that you should be able to do this with all wings

AndyB

Your video was not what I meant

This is me with a good 7mph wind, but my question was should it stay above my head without holding the breaks or  is it just certain wings?

On 11/05/2017 at 12:52, MrPK21 said:

Hello all

I am quite new to all this. I have an ITV Jedi 26, should this wing stay above my head when Ground Handling with no hands / no brakes.

so after I have pulled the wing up, stopping it from over shooting  me with a bit of breaks.

should I be able to keep it there with no hands or is this just on some wings?

hmm so your teaching yourself are you? why not go with a instructor? question your itv jedi 26.how many hours has the wing? is the wing flyable or just ground handling?.. live and learn or learn and live.

I am part of a group of PPG.

the ITV jedi wing is my good 1.

I also have a bad old ITV wing that is slow and heavy that is ground handling only.

I was just after gaining as much wing control as I could, from the ground.

Thought this was a good question, surprised that it was such a hard one to answer.

It's not hard, just a little difficult to convey, because of the wind effect.

Once you have the wing up overhead, it will only stay there if there is sufficient tension maintained in the risers to counteract the lift being provided by the wing. This lift has to be enough to keep the wing flying! After a while you learn what this tension should be (ie how hard you need to push forwards). In nill wind you will have to push forward and run as per the video of my son doing it. In 10 to 15 mph I can stand still and do virtually nothing except push forward against the risers while standing still. Not quite nothing because the wind is never steady, so you either have to be prepared to walk a step or 2 forwards as wind dips....or pull both brakes a little!

As for not using brakes...yes, you don't need them if careful once the wing is up, you can maintain  your flying wing by moving your feet!

Hope that helps.

• Upvote 1

l'm new at this and was trying to figure the no hands kiting thing also.  

My theory: If you are flying paramotor straight and level hands off then that air speed is the windspeed you would need to kite hands off.   thats the balance point.  At that windspeed i would be afraid to kite as you would be on the edge of being lifted off and dragged.   (The guy did say the other guys wing was half the size of his.  I suspect the big guy had trimmers out to not get dragged.  they are at the beach with smooth constant wind. ) 

Now if you kite in less wind with hands off why does the glider go forward and tuck?  Well if you were flying with some brake pressure and released what is the glider going to do?  its going to dive forward trying to get to its balanced airspeed.   on the ground, you can't dive with the wing, the gound is in the way.  you can run but you would get light as you got close to that balance point unless you had a smaller wing. 

Letting trimmers out would require more airspeed. 

So i accept i have to use brakes with my wing when kiting or kite at the beach with higher windspeed with a smaller wing. 

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, ddreg said:

l'm new at this and was trying to figure the no hands kiting thing also.  

My theory: If you are flying paramotor straight and level hands off then that air speed is the windspeed you would need to kite hands off.   thats the balance point.  At that windspeed i would be afraid to kite as you would be on the edge of being lifted off and dragged.   (The guy did say the other guys wing was half the size of his.  I suspect the big guy had trimmers out to not get dragged.  they are at the beach with smooth constant wind. ) 

Now if you kite in less wind with hands off why does the glider go forward and tuck?  Well if you were flying with some brake pressure and released what is the glider going to do?  its going to dive forward trying to get to its balanced airspeed.   on the ground, you can't dive with the wing, the gound is in the way.  you can run but you would get light as you got close to that balance point unless you had a smaller wing. 

Letting trimmers out would require more airspeed. 

So i accept i have to use brakes with my wing when kiting or kite at the beach with higher windspeed with a smaller wing. 

Nope. When kiting the wing only has to support it's own weight, less than 10kg (the weight of the wing plus a bit more, to maintain tension in the risers). Try pulling on a riser while kiting, it is dead easy to pull down. Then try with you and a paramotor hanging from it!

When kiting, the front of the wing will 'stall' (fold, tuck etc) if the wind speed over the wing is not maintained...as wind drops you have to move forward!

• 1 month later...

Why do you want to kite the wing without any inputs?

Whatever wing it is you want to be able to ground handle it with the brakes (and probably also weight shift and back risers too). Knowing how to control a wing when it overshoots you is an essential core skill.

• 3 months later...

OK thank you for all the replies. 

Why would I want to?

To see and learn how the wing reacts to my inputs made just from my body.

In the time past I have learnt a lot more about how my wing flys.

I can now keep my wing over head with next to no inputs, and happily let go and still have control. depending on the wind.

I still have so much to learn.

I want full control on the ground

Edited by MrPK21