Am I too big? Newbie who needs some advices to start

Hello everyone, first post in here. First of all, I must admit I've been charmed by all those Youtube videos  of this sport. I always admire those people up in the air, free like a bird... I think it would be a great activity that I'd love to do.. but... 

I've reached 2 different school over the phone for a good 30 minutes each in my area. The pretty much explained me a lot.

Those 2 schools are the closest and there is nothing else beside those 2. 

I'd like to share why I'm backing a bit and I'm just lost right now and I need some advices. I just can't decide for myself yet.  

1 - Am I too big? (317 pounds) 5'' 11 - I've been told by them that I would have to see if I fit in the seat and everything. One school is charging me 500$ just for that... the other one is charging me nothing to test the seat but the school is VERY far from my house. 

2 - This is really expensive for me, I've been told ~15k Canadian money for the kit(new) is a lot of money considering my financial situation. I can afford it, but it would be a big big cut in my savings. I just want to make sure I would do the right thing and don't regret it. 

3- I would probably be alone in my circle of friends to practice that sport. I feel I might get bored to go out all alone. 

4 - I'm 0 mechanic, I'm a bit scared to not be able to properly troubleshoot/inspect my engine which I would totally rely my life on (in some cases). 

5 - The training cost 2000$CAD at one place, and 2 500$CAD at another ... Already skeptical why so much difference between 2 schools. (2 hours ride between the 2) 

6 - I really tried to get as much as information about the prices and equipment I could acquire in Canada but there is not really any store online or any information about what would be the best for my condition etc. Also if I can't find a single company here reselling those equipment that I can rely for repairs and stuff I feel like I would be in a bad situation where I'd have to pay a lot of money just to repair my stuff.

7 - I'm afraid I wouldn't use it that much like I did with my Motorcycle. 

8 - I just don't know what's the life expectancy of everything, the wing, the motor, the seat. One of the trainer told me around 5 years... ~10k per 5 years is a LOT of money isn't it? 

After saying all this... I promised myself that If I'd lose enough weight ~280 pounds, I would go ahead and pay for the training. It's working well so far. I was at 323 and now I'm at 317... 

Edited by shrekpower

4 hours ago, shrekpower said:

Hello everyone, first post in here. First of all, I must admit I've been charmed by all those Youtube videos  of this sport. I always admire those people up in the air, free like a bird... I think it would be a great activity that I'd love to do.. but... 

I've reached 2 different school over the phone for a good 30 minutes each in my area. The pretty much explained me a lot.

Those 2 schools are the closest and there is nothing else beside those 2. 

I'd like to share why I'm backing a bit and I'm just lost right now and I need some advices. I just can't decide for myself yet.  

1 - Am I too big? (317 pounds) 5'' 11 - I've been told by them that I would have to see if I fit in the seat and everything. One school is charging me 500$ just for that... the other one is charging me nothing to test the seat but the school is VERY far from my house. 

143 KG is top end for sure, but not impossible. Personally, I would bin the school who are trying to charge you to try a Paramotor on for size! 

2 - This is really expensive for me, I've been told ~15k Canadian money for the kit(new) is a lot of money considering my financial situation. I can afford it, but it would be a big big cut in my savings. I just want to make sure I would do the right thing and don't regret it. 

By the time you have finished your training, you will know if it's for you or not. Until that point (most often than not its shortly after the first flight) avoid buying kit if possible. 

3- I would probably be alone in my circle of friends to practice that sport. I feel I might get bored to go out all alone. 

I am almost certain that as soon as you start flying, your friend base will expand to include other pilots locally. :-) 

4 - I'm 0 mechanic, I'm a bit scared to not be able to properly troubleshoot/inspect my engine which I would totally rely my life on (in some cases). 

Don't worry about this at all, your instructor will show you how to check it each time before flight (pre flight checks), on top of that an engine failure for a Paramotor pilot is a total non drama (most turn off to land) they are also super simple to learn the basics for maintenance.  

5 - The training cost 2000$CAD at one place, and 2 500$CAD at another ... Already skeptical why so much difference between 2 schools. (2 hours ride between the 2) 

Ask for / find some referrals for each of the schools a decent school will have plenty to show you and be proud too. It may help if you list the two options you have 

6 - I really tried to get as much as information about the prices and equipment I could acquire in Canada but there is not really any store online or any information about what would be the best for my condition etc. Also if I can't find a single company here reselling those equipment that I can rely for repairs and stuff I feel like I would be in a bad situation where I'd have to pay a lot of money just to repair my stuff.

Any scooter shop, or lawnmower shop will be able to carry out the repairs to your Paramotor. (just like taking your car to the garage for a service but massively cheeper!) 

7 - I'm afraid I wouldn't use it that much like I did with my Motorcycle. 

Motorcycles are like Sooooooo 2D flying is very addictive and if you like it, you will love it! Again avoid buying kit until after at least the first flight. 

8 - I just don't know what's the life expectancy of everything, the wing, the motor, the seat. One of the trainer told me around 5 years... ~10k per 5 years is a LOT of money isn't it? 

A well looked after Paramotor will last as long as you want it too! it's certainly more than 5 years! more like 10+ The wing, again they can be sent off to be inspected as often as you like to keep you happy and safe. I have had people on our airfield with wings that are 15 years old and still passing safety checks with flying colours. Look after it, and it will last longer than 5 years for sure! 

After saying all this... I promised myself that If I'd lose enough weight ~280 pounds, I would go ahead and pay for the training. It's working well so far. I was at 323 and now I'm at 317... 

GO FOR IT! It can only be a good thing all round, and what an awesome way to motivate yourself! Flying! I mean, how can it get any better than that!! lol 

Welcome to the Paramotor Club! Please do keep us up to date with your progress / decisions as these are questions which I am sure are in many peoples minds.  

SW :D