avoidable accident

grassy2014

23 minutes ago, Casper said:

To rip it apart?

??No.    One end attached to the HT lead and the other attached to the cage with the handle protruding pilot side. Pilot pulls the handle, which pulls the HT lead, which pulls the cap off the spark plug.  I think I've seen a picture on FB.

Has anyone ever had this sort of thing happen with the engine on their back and stood up?

I totally agree with the safety of only ever starting it on your back, but just wondering what the effects would be for it to start and immediately go full throttle while you are stood up.  They pack a serious punch and I'm wondering whether I would actually be able to stay on my feet!

Andy.

More than likely you would end up on your front face down with the motor spinning above you.

I had a similar 'event' early on in my flying experience, jabbed the power on a bit too quickly, took a trip and ended up just as described. The wing over flew me and landed in front.

It was just a case of killing the motor and putting on a brave face in front of the 9 French microlight pilots who were watching :$

A bit of a non-event with regards  to safety as the motor stayed on my back with the prop out of harms way.

• 4 months later...
On Wednesday, May 10, 2017 at 21:50, andre_74 said:

Start your motor and run it for a minute before putting your prop on. If it won't start, then what is the point of putting the prop on? :)

Once the prop is on, only start it when it is on your back. It's the only way to ensure these things never happen, as another person found out today, the hard way: http://www.floridatoday.com/story/news/2017/05/10/man-injured-paraglider-propeller-palm-bay/101503782/

Thats what I do. Works a treat!

20 hours ago, AndyB said:

Many engines will fail catastrophically if run without the prop on as they have no load preventing them from over revving. They can over rev in the first half second, just from fuel used to prime them. 

Exactly. Better for it to over-rev without a prop on or whilst it’s on your back. 

The problem with over-revving is that most engines blow up. The piston pops out through the side of the casing as it simply can't take the  g forces. At about 8000 rpm the g forces are approaching 5000. It doesn't take much over revving to simply blow it up as either the metal of the con rod or the cylinder casing go past their limit.

• 5 weeks later...

I had a very close call too. I was taught by my original instructor to start the motor on the floor. I unloaded it from my van one day, primed it and pulled it over. It reached probably half revvs before I killed it. The strap I use to secure it in my van had fouled the throttle cable and pulled the outer sleeve out of the carb fitting at it had hooked behind it. I was very lucky to kill it in time. I trike all of the time now so starting on the floor is a tiny bit safer as I let the trike push against my van. I now ALWAYS ALWAYS check the throttle for free movement and have also aircraft wired the sleeve so it cannot pull out.

Comments invited.

I had a very close call too. I was taught by my original instructor to start the motor on the floor. I unloaded it from my van one day, primed it and pulled it over. It reached probably half revvs before I killed it. The strap I use to secure it in my van had fouled the throttle cable and pulled the outer sleeve out of the carb fitting at it had hooked behind it. I was very lucky to kill it in time. I trike all of the time now so starting on the floor is a tiny bit safer as I let the trike push against my van. I now ALWAYS ALWAYS check the throttle for free movement and have also aircraft wired the sleeve so it cannot pull out.

Comments invited.

That is very good advice Simon thank you.  

17 hours ago, asquaddie said:

Trike Newbie question.  Apart from electric start motors.

I presume you have to pull start the motor on the ground (Yes obvious), but is there a good procedure  to follow?

For the initial run up from cold I always park my trike with its front wheel pushed up against the side of one of the wheels of my car. Even if it started at full throttle it wouldn't go anywhere so I stand beside the seat and forward of the prop it at this point.

20 hours ago, frosty100 said:

Comments invited.

I like trikes........any photos?