Newbie radio question

Hi all

I am new to paramotors and trying to work out the norms for RT whilst flying. Looking on the CAA website it seems to gain a RT licence it has to be coupled with a NPPL for example. I have a bit of experience with GA and microlights and aim to take my paramotoring cross country eventually. Do people routinely monitor local frequencies but not transmit or is there some other way to communicate legally to help improve everyones situational awareness.

Thanks in advance 

Rich

I've been flying paragliders and paramotors for about 9 years in the UK. I've never met anyone who has a license for their radio. Everyone I've met uses the frequencies around 144 which is tolerated by the radio monitoring police / radio hams, although not strickly legal. You can get an unlocked VHF radio very easily - either from ebay for less than £30 or from a UK radio seller (just request they open up the frequencies for you) - it's much easier than bothering to unlock/hack the radio yourself which may require soldering. Even the low powered ones work for miles when you're up in the air.

Also if you use a radio you'll probably want to use an resistor type spark plug (if it start BR and it's made by NGK then it is) to minimise interference.

I'd also like to clarify what sort of radio is best. Or most commonly used. I have a selection currently and have made my own head sets to suit both. I have a set of Motorola T80 extreme and I have a set of Baofeng UV-5R. It depends who I'm flying with as to what I'm using but I was hoping to fly in and out of a local micro light and light aircraft runway. They use the safetycom frequency for airfield coms 135.475 which I thought I'd be able to get on my Baofeng to listen in on any coms and traffic but the baofeng won't accept this frequency. Is there an other radio I would need for this?

I don't understand all the frequency's and types of radio available. I know that you can't transmit from air to ground legally but its tolerated. I'd just like to try and stay safe and be able to monitor other air traffic in the area.

Thanks 

So the radios people use are more to speak to other paramotors or known people on the ground, not generally to blind call an airfield or information service. Thanks for clearing that up.

Rich

Perhaps someone else who knows about radio can contribute but all i know is 136 to 174 is fairly standard for the radios we use. It obviously won't get 135.475 which falls into the airband section (108 to 137). I don't know how you go about getting an airband radio (I suspect it could involve a license).

Correct Rich h- most people don't call airfields or information services, but I'm sure there are some out there that do.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

i hold a foundation radio license whichnis required to use a VHF transmitting device for two way conversation (unless covered by an organisation). As said above this isn't really monitored but you will never pick Airband frequencies on a general VHF radio that would be used for general comms (i have a Boafeng too).

for Airband monitoring you need a AM receiver, to transmit you need to complete your Radio Telephony license and then purchase an AM Transceiver.

hope this helps