Decompression valve fitted, now doesn't start!

tomarnold

On the advice of several people I spoke to, I fitted a decompressor valve to my solo 210 motor. It certainly pulls over more easily with it, but I find that it almost never starts with the decompressor open. If I close the valve (i.e. pull it up), the motor is harder to pull but fires every time: if I open the valve by depressing the button, the motor is much easier to turn over by hand but it doesn't fire. Any thoughts?

I had an engine with decomp valve. It was NOT supposed to start with the valve open. The valve was only to aid spinning up of the motor. So it started like this....

open valve, pull starter and then just before starter gets to end of travel, close valve and away it went. Usually the modern ones are designed so that they self close as soon as the first combustion happens.

Thank you all for your replies. Annoyingly now I have broken the starter mechanism with all of this pulling! So I have ordered new parts from Fresh Breeze. 

So do you think that having the decompression hole (built-in as standard on the Solo 210) and the decompression valve would cause the problem? If so, perhaps it would be a good idea to blank off that hole somehow so that I have the option of using the decompression valve on its own?

100% now Im sure

Take off cylinder head and you can see over exhaust port small hole with alen key hole plug

Turn this out,take M6x1 tapper .make thread nearly up to exhaust port (not thrue-very important,if you do than plug can fell in to exhaust) and put new blankig plug slightly longer then old.

Im afraid you need to take off exhaust to protect and prevent metal flakes get under piston.

Thats it

Edited by Dariuszk24

21 minutes ago, Hikinghome said:

Hi

I have a solo 210 and want to fit a decompression valve 

Can I ask where you got yours from ?

They have an internal decompression port, why wanting to fit a valve? read above you'll possibly get problems, plus if you haven't your port may need drilling thru to clean it out.

Internal decompression port its good,but you pay for this big price in lower power output.most of the new motors like for example moster use that up today?

Engine like solo 210 its immortal if you take care,and has ability to properly tuning.

Just thanks to close decompresion you can get 3-4BHP more,unbelievable? Its true,you want more power-slighty speed up ignition angle+properly tuned carburetor ?

17 hours ago, Dariuszk24 said:

Internal decompression port its good,but you pay for this big price in lower power output.most of the new motors like for example moster use that up today?

Engine like solo 210 its immortal if you take care,and has ability to properly tuning.

Just thanks to close decompresion you can get 3-4BHP more,unbelievable? Its true,you want more power-slighty speed up ignition angle+properly tuned carburetor ?

So do you think by closing the internal decompression port and using the decompression valve instead I could get a few more horsepower eh? Now that does sound worthwhile...

• Downvote 1

And you forgotten to add one think

You use 500cc on your back when take off ,and kick start this motor without decompressor with string leg shackle pullstart when you stand up ?

But when you flying on trike you can put as many scrap as you like because you not carry any waight on your back.and  you really dont care about fire up motor in comfortably position.

Edited by Dariuszk24

Ah i see, you don't fly, that explains your lack of understanding. No offence meant, i just mean to say that starting a motorbike is very different to pull-starting a motor on your back. 

I had an XS650 which was kick-start only, and heaving that over was just a case of standing on the kick-starter and putting all of my 70kg into it. But that is completely different to putting a hand up to your shoulder and pulling a rope attached to a rather flimsy plastic starter mechanism, hence the need for some sort of decompression valve to avoid breaking the starter mechanism as much as actually overcoming the compression to start it.