Ohh Shit

kiwi k

Look who's back yes i am yes i am :D,  well after struggling with my Paramotor do to its weight and not liking the Bulldog either, i have acquired a 1 year old low hours Paramotor (185cc Titanium frame) so weight now not so much of an issue, but in my true to nature ways it came to bits, didn't like the frame fit as previous owner had taken a bad tumble and bent outer frame hoop, plus wasn't happy with lack of alignment on throttle cable, but after dismantling carb spacer and milling that down and machining cable end brass housing it now all lines up true, i know i have the tools and ability so i did, and then also i reshaped the outer ring to exact roundness and it goes on + off as should, only last thing is 2 small electrical spades to go onto stop button.

Also forgot its had full service including renewed fuel pipes and electrical wire lines, but wires only got done as throttle cable was 12" to long so had to shorten it, also changed carbon props for wooden and extended netting inwards to close side and top gaps.

Disappointed as going to Winglands Airfield tomorrow and would of been nice to possibly take it and fly it, but will be taking it for hang test to get angle of the dangle correct so onwards and soon upwards.

Fly free but be safe :wingover:

ALIM0215.JPG

ALIM0221.JPG

• Like 1

hi paramotors they also do a trike .cant comment anymore.times like this reading your comment.makes me think how lucky we all are who are well and can do this and that. wish you well keep healthy. my wife is a nurse and she tells me about patients who are not well. but like i always say if iam breathing iam happy   ;0) wish you well and anyone who isnt well ... just get better.

Tony i feel the same as there's always somebody worse off than me.

andyb i got a windsock and its a Hobbyking jobbie.

Hopefully by the end of this week my HE paramotor will be totally modified by me to the safety limit i expect.

Now having noticed i started over a year ago i'm more determined to be flying in front of my trainer before end of next month and become CP qualified before end of year.

22 hours ago, TONYPARAMOTOR said:

hi are u going to to 2018 parafest event?  iam.  if we meet ill buy the beers after flying is finished.  ;0)

deja vu comes to mind Tony only because last year i had arranged to go sat + sun and bloody health let me down:(, so i'm not planning to go this year but don't be surprised if i pop over for the Saturday and possibly stay for the Sunday also :wingover:

• 1 month later...

Well i have now flown this Paramotor in front of my trainer, all i'll say is take of was flawless and left ground very quickly played around flying for 45 minutes, then i made the mistake of trying to land which didn't go to plan, gliding in lovely about to round out before flare and BIG oops was idling but pulled throttle same time (Dohh), only positive (according to trainer) was i lifted me legs up out of the way, as he said broken bones would of been the result, So crash landed fast and hard left corner which twisted frame (Titanium bends) but prop rotation then ploughed through netting and 1 spar, then clipped rear down tube and inbedded itself halfway thru petrol tank, which sustained 2 small holes and compressed to half size, the prop shattered and finished considerably shorter than started with, laughed it off as normal and thanked frame for taking the shock as i got up without a single scratch, just needing to buy a few spares.

Forgot to take before picture but frame was a bit of a mess but my friend Deano and i have heated it up here and there and straightened it out, and tomorrow putting motor back onto it and getting throttle and wires all clipped up again.

Feel free to comment how you see fit heard most of the Know it all comments on faceache, didn't have to post up but want everybody to see what we go thru and IMO lucky escape and hopefully learnt by my mistakes.

And heres how the frame now looks again.

Glad i have a Titanium frame and if you watch Air conceptions Video you'll see how bad these frames can get and can be made flyable again.

Not so twisted..JPG

• 3 weeks later...

After numerous talks between H&E direct and myself this box of spares left Spain last Thursday and arrived today :D, i say spares as only 3 parts being used from it now, as have repaired most including the shortened petrol tank, but at least in a couple days it will rise from the ashes again, and that's a bonus as attending a Fly-In this weekend :wingover:

ALIM0231.JPG

Box emptied and not a single part out of it used to repair my Paramotor, but now i have spares for a possible on site repair if it can be done.

"Phoenix" as i have now named it as from earlier today is looking ready to fly once more with a few more added improvements. 

Pheonix.JPG

Yesterday was an unusual day attended Wingland fly-in in aid of Air ambulance, parawaited all day, a few newbies were kiting on Airfield (rather entertaining ) i'd forgotten how funny it is to have brain overload, You know what your mean't to be doing and we keep instructing them and advising them but they No risten (we've all been there).

11 of us fearless pilots took to the Sky early evening, piss taking on my launch just reversed  and waited because i could (10mph wind), added throttle then about 3 steps up up and away, i was flying beside Mike with communication little bumpy on climbing but silky smooth at 700+, just plodding into wind slowly and we could see a liitle way in front traffic on A17 then stopping, we lowered to 500ft and we could just see new shape Land rover upside down in ditch with jackknifed trailer,

Thinking the worst outcome we thought if Air Ambulance is needed we're in the way so headed back to land, well i say land but gusts had picked up and getting back past airfield for approach didn't take long, 200ft trying to descend was like a roller coaster ride left right left right up down down up, to say the least i of many apparently was entertaining to watch trying to land, even the more experienced pilots had to actively work at it, couple more had to land after me and it was extremely funny.

So best part of all after i landed i'll let the picture tell you and i know you'll get it right:D

Me Landing.jpg

Should also say yes i bent the Titanium frame again slightly and little tap with rubber mallet it'll be straight again :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Constructive feedback.....

The flare looks ok.

Your seat position does not look ok. As you start your flare you are pretty much still in a sat position. As you get to the ground you are trying to get from your sat position, to get your legs down. 

There are 2 solutions to this. Once you are out of the seat you can concentrate on keeping your body straight. Alternatively, you may find that your hang position has you you leaning a little too far back, which it makes it more difficult to get your legs down. Move the hang point so you are more vertical and you will find it much easier to get your legs down.

4 hours ago, AndyB said:

Constructive feedback.....

The flare looks ok.

Your seat position does not look ok. As you start your flare you are pretty much still in a sat position. As you get to the ground you are trying to get from your sat position, to get your legs down. 

There are 2 solutions to this. Once you are out of the seat you can concentrate on keeping your body straight. Alternatively, you may find that your hang position has you you leaning a little too far back, which it makes it more difficult to get your legs down. Move the hang point so you are more vertical and you will find it much easier to get your legs down.

Andy constructive criticism is always welcomed that's more my point for posting.

It was mentioned about seat  and body position on that landing, and we have a cunning plan for next flight, each flight i alter something in my thought process and each time landings are improving considerable, this time was to land and not arrive at full throttle straight into the ground (Oops), i thought it was funny but newbie trainee's at the field got a little worried.

Train of thought is already thinking on next landing to be upright and 2 feet in contact and nothing else.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

I'm very sorry for not keeping this more up to date, it was my intention to do so new people into our wonderful sport could understand some of the thoughts going thru our minds, and hopefully in some cases explain some of the problems and mental  blindness we might possible experience, as i can honestly say on my path i seriously felt like a rabbit in headlights  on more than 1 occasion.

I will update more on my progress very soon !!

Right since my last flight i have had several more, as we turned the weather corner (No Sunny days) my thinking was ohh dear i'll end up flying less, but i was so wrong as i now fly more :D.

The very 1st flight i took after the 1 above i had a very bumpy landing, all my own fault as allowed my brain to encourage my hands to lift after rounding out to much, (Noted i tell all the newbies when they do it on their landings) and yes as we know the wing then overshoots and we land quicker with a sudden ground impact:o, just depends how soon or close to ground you were to how hard the bump.  

My trainer now works full time so not always available as i get every 3rd weekend as a long 1 (Friday to Tuesday off), so on numerous occasions i can fly on a Friday including the weekend, which i have and will carry on doing so, IMO it has helped me as often times i'm the early bird at the Airfield so i get set up and go flying as soon as i am ready, my fellow fliers have now started calling me "fearless Dave", all because when they arrive some times it looks a little bumpy and guess were i am, yes correct buzzing around as i do because i just love getting in the air.

And as i said i think it has helped as my landings are now perfected, my logic was i'm pilot in command so land and stay upright as i should, but watching my previous video's and then logging and correcting the idiot mistakes is whats helped, when under comm's training i would listen and rely on commands and felt i put in to much adjustment, well while flying silent i think i learnt to feel the brake effect better, and then taught my brain to hold hands in exact position even if i start rising, as i got told it will bleed of the speed thus coming back down to ground as should.

And plus now having had loads more flights with upright landings and touch and go's working as should i can honestly say i Now know how its done :launchland:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Oops forgot about this thread again.

Well were do i start :?:  as it was just so good and knew it wouldn't last, well it was only 2 days from this post and the gremlins returned, nasty grinding noise fron the clutch hub when motor running, discovered on strip down the clutch spring which pinches the clutch together had snapped, No biggie thinks me as had a spare uprated new clutch asembly, and by eck was it ferka to set the leg pivoting arm springs to the right tension (makers not made a manual yet), perseverance and numerous strip downs sorted it in the end, but somewhere in the middle the High speed jet needle broke, so had to order replacement but a fellow flier posted me one to get me flying before the following weekend.

Did get flying again but was getting harder to start the bleedin thing, so next day borescope down plug hole and discovered the piston crown had some indentations in it, so that's it off comes the head and barrel to discover top piston ring stuck and four score marks on piston and barrel respectively, so got in touch with HE paramotor's and order some parts (Ok i messaged them), then 2 weeks later they replied saying having a few computer problems, its taken over a month but thankfully today got a message to say money received and parts posted out to me :grin:

But on a plus note i have now also discovered another piston from a motorbike that fits the barrel with correct port allowance, and other ways round future repairs if needed so some good has come out of my down time.

Just a quick update as i'm not able to fly in our lovely Summery weeks weather we're having, and just in-case others are bored and stuck indoors for something to see and read, Pictures of my Paramotors meal after it got a little hungry :(

It was my choice to stop flying it before it destroyed the barrel as well >:(

Piston crown damage.JPG

Piston skirt damage 01.JPG

Piston skirt damage 02.JPG

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, DavidG4 said:

Kiwi, nice posts. Thanks.

The way you talk about your engine makes it almost sound home built...a motorcycle piston here, a mallet to the ring there...  I'm totally new to PM, so forgive me...but it isn't home built is it?

David

David the complete Paramotor is manufactured by HE Paramotores in Real Madrid, the Engine is a Moster Copy (my opinion) but slightly more grunt and downside uses fractionally more fuel :o, and all fitted in one of they're Titanium Race frames so exceptionally lightweight :D.

After having No response from them i looked into Piston options, and that's the Motorcycle reference and an almost identical readily available piston, It took numerous communications to numerous suppliers to discover Piston, but also several people before me have discovered several different parts from recognized top brand Paramotors, are available cheaper thru the Motorcycle parts suppliers, just needs a little homework and searching.

But i am now using original new piston as HE communicated in the end, and that was sent to Langourts with the barrel for replating, currently most cleaned up and waiting on high temperature Silicon sealant for crankcase rebuild and new Oil seals ans bearings all Ok. 

here's a few pictures after i cooked it in the oven at the weekend :P Well it was Mothers Day and i needed the Cooker ;).

ALIM0262.JPG

ALIM0263.JPG

ALIM0256.JPG

9 hours ago, DavidG4 said:

Kiwi, nice posts. Thanks.

The way you talk about your engine makes it almost sound home built...a motorcycle piston here, a mallet to the ring there...  I'm totally new to PM, so forgive me...but it isn't home built is it?

David

Plus my Trainer always told me we are the Flying Mopeds of the Skies :mrgreen: ;)

our sport is full of stealers prices and most parts like coils and such are only generic parts, already out there and we just have to do little research and find them elsewhere.

Basically when done i'll have a brand new engine again and i'll have to do a break in period and hopefully get past 42 hours :D

• 2 weeks later...

Wahoo state of play by midday today and all other ancillaries back on tomorrow and back into the frame with all being well a quick start up later tomorrow afternoon, then it will be into a long but needed break in period and onto round 2 with hopefully a longer running time than before;)ALIM0267.thumb.JPG.8163e7c1e0b031a1635b4cb0f56e65d1.JPG