Ohh Shit

kiwi k

Right more for a learning curve to others i will attempt to keep this flowing and regular 9_9.

So this is my scratch and here goes,

Like probably several before and will do after i know several friends who paramotor, or several have seen them flying about somewhere in the sky,so it got me thinking maybe i'd like to do that (most of us have dreamed about flying) even you at the back saying never yehh right, so next step with todays world lets google it and yes your right up pop youtube vid's, watched a few and then a few more :D, and then before i know it i've only gone and bought a wing (yes dear another new toy) yes wives and mums you got to love them and we all like our toys.

So cocky i am and listening not my style :$, got me wing delivered and then 1st opportunity up me local playing field to do this thing called Kiting, this in hind sight now was extremely daft as my inexperience showed, yes it went up :fail: oops now its back down and you know you can do it ? well for a couple of hours, as you then realise its not as easy as it looks :sad:, so pack up go home and here we go again back on youtube watch some more O.o, plus now i'm thinking i need a harness as thats were i'm going wrong xD, it arrives and like you do off i go again up the field for another wasted session (dohh), i'm now thinking it's cos i not got this thing called a paramotor, so yes you guessed it Mr impulsive gets one of them too (because i can), now your getting into the routine so next yes you guessed it, up the field i go kit in hand motor on back again to fail once more, now i'm thinking this is getting boring and could be harder than i thought, and No i'm not the first or last lol as you all probably know your mate or somebody who's been there.

This was a few months ago as health problems intervened and it stopped me dead, and then i discovered you bunch of undesirables and it all became a lot more clearer, and it eventually sank into my head its not going to happen over night, and so now the story really starts as yes (light bulb time) i eventually came to my senses and on saturday visited Chilly, a couple friends recommended him like months ago and he is on my doorstep, already met a few fellow like minded local wanna be's and even existing fliers :coptor:,

so i will try to keep this post regular and up to date  thanks for reading and fly safe (i'll be there shortly) Kiwi k 

• Upvote 1

Well done for discovering the bleedin' obvious. You did it all backwards but thank you for pointing this out - and now you're in good hands you'll really start to love your kit ... if you've bought the right kit, of course. :-) 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Kit ? oops yes probably bought all the wrong kit, but i'm working on that slowly, Chilly said my wing is ideal for learning ground handling and my paramotor will propel me into the air :lol:, but i'm in no hurry for a wing just yet as i know that a better suited one is just round the corner.

Stop laughing i haven't told you yet :P, Gradient golden 2 for ground training as i thought price was right, i'm thinking possibly fractionally to big but its only ground handling (right)

And now as you all rolling on the floor in stitches, i know what your thinking and if you've read some of my previous posts you'd of already guessed :P, to those that have yes your right an Adventure A4, now stop there i still know your thoughts but mines ultra reliable easy starting, and yes somehow i'll get the hang of getting into the seat (eventually) :D, so now i'll duck while you barrage me with countless comments and some insults mixed in for good measure :ph34r:.

And my original thinking was the price was right and trash this 1 if must be, then when i do get the hang + skill of flight i can then buy a newer more suited motor :coptor::coptor:

After having several attempts at ground handling then realizing yes my brain is not working properly, or i move to slow to react to the wing but No more often or not its just much to windy for a beginner to do kiting, which i have since learnt from Chilly and now must wait learn then practice :fail: SIMPLES or will be when my light switch moment kicks in and it becomes second nature to kite easily :D

• 2 weeks later...

Yes yes yes Chilly is right patience my student (zzzzzzzzz) i'm bored just tried kiting and ohh dear just a tad windy, same shit different day up up down down down :o:fail:, this ppg lark is getting very repetitive and i think need a little bit more encouragement from master @Chilly :D, plus copius amounts of right strength wind >:(

• 2 weeks later...

Right yesterday afternoon was a very good Day, wind was a little on the low side but you know hey hoe off i go:P, wing was still stuffed inside back of car so quick set-up, established wind direction (must get a wind sock) walked across field and tossed out wing, quick wall check lines and down again then clip in for reverse launch 9_9, straight up looking good slowly walking back across field then before i knew it, Wahoo i'd only crossed the complete field without a single mishap, but i'd now got a little group of people watching plus a couple girls filming (never seen it before or kiting a wing), So gather it all up and walked back to other side off field, whoosh straight up no problems exactly the same again full width reverse, groundhog day until 3rd go yes straight up but as you do thinking this isn't so hard (whats the fuss) , until i got half way back and took me concentration of the wing just to look round at crowd (BIG mistake), yes you guessed it things rapidly went wrong :fail: oops down it comes and flipping over to one side :$, not sure which lines but pull end c and another end line and i can most times flip half of wing back over :D, little ferk up feeling a right idiot but onwards i go soon kiting again to finish second half of field, And just because i knew i had too went and done another full length, but thought i'll concentrate this time xD and made it look easy.

Was going to do a reverse launch then twist and forward but thought better as knee not ready yet, there's plenty of time to master this step and progress is being made.

So that was it for me and feeling very Happy progress achieved, and then packed up wing properly while talking to a couple of dog walkers, who showed interest which i find encouraging, and me personally if when i go out to G/H every time it becomes second nature, then i know Mikes training is sinking in and i'm learning (BIG head syndrome).

That'll be in next couple of days B|

***** Long this might seem but i committed to do a training blog, and thought it might help the disillusioned who are struggling, so i am trying to cover all steps good or bad happy or sad,***

TTFN

• 2 weeks later...

Short and sweet today :D, last night a tad windy but have to practice as much as possible so yes up ta field i went, only about 45 mins but as very windy reverse launch couple times, then on third go i thought must try this turn around (wahoo) only ferkin did it, but disaster when i tried to turn back :$, totally my fault didn't turn quick enough to react for wing deviation so oops cobra down on right, then Mr Cocky decided on a forward launch but discovered a valuable lesson, do not try it again if its very windy as it rips your arms off :o, but i guess if i'd been with my trainer i'm sure he'd explain my downfalls.

Just call me Mr Yoyo  xDxD :fail::(

Brilliant. :) I just tried that last weekend! If I can work out how to upload my vid, it captures quite nicely me trying to decide whether to forward or reverse...it was quite gusty, but in between gusts sod all wind. So I thought forward it is. Wing goes up, I go racing backwards across field in direction of fence......only stopped by power assistance and straight up into the air.......followed by no wind and a little grass strimming (grass was about 18" long) as I dipped back down again. More distance from fence next time :) 

• 2 weeks later...

AndyB find a bigger field with shorter grass :P but i know how you feel, i know most of my comments are very repetitive but i'm committed to getting most of it down, more so others especially newbies can see the route we take, and then learn that yes we too possibly took a similar route and learning curve.

Yesterday was a good day for ground handling (8-13mph wind) so yes you guessed it i did :fail:, sounds repetitive and boring but i've convinced myself to train as much as possible, i want to be able to kite the wing in my sleep not yet dreamt it :), but they say practice makes perfect so every opportunity i get i will take, extremely happy with my reverse training but i'm sure my trainer will point out my faults :o, so just waiting for more nil or low wind days to start forward training, i have set my self a realistic schedule and so far slightly ahead of it (in my eyes) 9_9.

I know when i see chilly next he's talking about being able to wing walk thru cones, could be funny for those watching but we'll see.

until next episode cya

• 3 weeks later...

Well tonight's training was different i must say, a bit inpatient as i wanted to use my new to me stuff sack ^_^, so quick look outside and wind blowing well but looked just right for G/H, and that's exactly what i did or should that be tried to :$, plus i know realize i need to get a windsock to confirm wind direction as it was changeable (note to self make it quick), the more i practice the more i learn about requirements (thank you), Mike has probably told me previously and it's now sunk in, more because of all the info given on the day (so much to cram in) O.o

Right my learning curve has taken a hammering as i was doing something wrong, or so i think until i either see video evidence or somebody points out my error ?, reverses are very repetitive as i think i have that excellent (awaiting Mikes approval) , plus i know at next training lesson we will be maneuvering wing and walking thru cones, but my problem was forwards tonight were absolutely cack, but now having had time to think about my earlier attempts, possibly it could of been over enthusiasm in Not looking up at wing to see where it was, or what or how it was behaving and yes i know the experienced don't need to look, well neither did i last time i tried but there was 100% no wind that day, so maybe that tonight's wind was just a little to much for my experience (or lack of it).

And my reverses with turn around's  where and still are passable, well non powered ones that is are at present :P, i even considered on my forwards was or is it my hang point is wrong, or are my arms not out far enough or high enough (argh) yet i know in the past i did them No problems :-x

I know most of you have possibly been here before and probably lost interest, but this is my blog and my experiences of my travel to get trained properly before i go back into the sky under power again :wingover:

" been over enthusiasm in Not looking up at wing to see where it was, or what or how it was behaving and yes i know the experienced don't need to look, well neither did i last time i tried but there was 100% no wind that day, so maybe that tonight's wind was just a little to much for  "    

I'd still do a quick visual check if I'm doing forwards when there is wind, but when there is zero wind, I find that the visual check too early can put me off.  I think the best approach to zero wind forwards is  'full commitment' and a positive attitude... keep the eyes forward, and keep moving forwards and the wing will follow you.   Keep a little pressure on the risers as you go-  don't grip them, just push them and the wing will follow....   When the wing is up, it will feel right- keep running and when you're sure it's OK give full throttle.  When it's done right, you can actually feel the transition of the wing - pretty amazing feeling....  

GD

• 4 weeks later...

Well 1 month on and Sorry Mr Chilly still NO windsock :$ (on shopping list Now) Not that it effects Mike just more to help me with visual Aid of wind direction, up at 5.30 quick look out window and tree's and hedge moving progressively so i'm thinking quick trip up field for some more GH'ing, been busy last few days getting my tall 10ft hedge cut as branches now looming over the swimming pool, yes yes mock you can but more for relaxation for me and a necessity for the wife (hydrotherapy) its the pleasure of her being almost disabled, Sorry gone of on a bit of a tangent Oops  xD.

Right so quick check on puter and weather page lists winds 13 with upto 21mph gusts, hold on before you all jump up and down No i'm not crazy maybe deluded now and again, since my last entry and with the help of a kind gentleman on Faceache i now have a smaller wing , my thinking behind this is it's being done more and more at training schools, what i'm on about is half size wings so my thinking was smallest old wing i can get hold off, and in my case this was or is a 60-80kg rated wing, and me being a stealthy super thin 92kgs think this is about right for kiting in stronger winds (No not force 10 gales), So my decision was made to go kiting this morning, as previously mentioned yes i need a windsock 9_9 as it helps, most of my delay in purchase has to do with 2 flags up poles close to my training field, they do help ever so much but not very helpful when you're facing away from them (Dohh).

Wind speed dictates reverse launches today as extremely easy, and obviously i'm well practiced in this part of training as its all i seem to do, thanks to our good dependable british weather to which i can hear Chilly saying those words, "if your impatient this might Not be the sport for you" of which i'm not or so i'm learning not to be, but while reversing and then turning for a possible take off i think i had a light bulb moment, time or Mike will let me know later, as last weekend a few of us wandered over to Winglands for a possible training session, i was skeptical before leaving as previous day was wet and windy but never mind i thought, long weekend nothing ventured nothing gained so of we trot Daughter i transit also, she likes watching and possibly catchting the flighing bug also :wingover:, mike demonstrated the new to him Dudek Marlin training wing, yes it very small (half full size) but he's small anyway and it keeps him all his skill to fly it, being smaller you have to be quicker with corrective inputs to keep it flying, So we opted out of trying to fly it as it was very windy, Another flyer who turned up had just bought a bigger Bulldog paramotor the previous week, he had a 100cc but sold on and has now gone for a 185cc but was experiencing problems, thankfully Chilly being a timed served flyer and now (BHPA) trainer knew the answer and corrections needed, like said previously too windy for training but was an excellent learning day on other aspects of paramotoring, On the plus side Chilly and i chatted about my launching problems i was experiencing, each time i go to see him i think when i kite in front of him he will know + tell me exactly why i'm having problems, but on the last two occasions its turned out to be too windy, so he said when i go gh'ing up the field next get a video and send it to him.

And that's were i was or rather were my thought was this morning, but in my hast i left most recording devices behind and yes No video, but during my session in which i believe i now have my light bulb moment, when reverse launching and turning naughty to me i was looking at my wing, normally i don't but i noticed i was pulling to much brake, so if many moons ago i had got daughter video my attempts at kiting i might of noticed my mistake, and yes i here Si and others sniggering thinking we could of told you that had we watched 9_9.

So that is my lesson for today and i'll put it into practice if or when the wind goes away, and hopefully now with possibility of improving or even gaining a forward launch.

Ferk don't i ramble on and on and yes i seem to be very repetitive so Sorry but thanks if you stayed til the End 

Kiwi K.

So Newbies take Note do NOT pull to much Brake let the wing do its thing. !!!

• Upvote 1

I use a windsock made of these 3 items from Ebay and HobbKing....

The HobbyKing windsock is for radio controlled plane flying and is designed for low winds. It is excellent as at 10 mph as it lies horizontal, so easy to tell from the air if above or below the 10 mph.

https://hobbyking.com/es_es/hobbyking-scale-airport-windsock-rip-stop.html

Hundreds of these on Ebay. I like the 6m pole as it's the right balance between height, but still being able to secure it well enough that it doesn't blow over.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Spirit-Of-Air-Telescopic-Windsock-Pole-Ground-Stake-Festival-Camping-3-10m-/401280853548?var=&hash=item5d6e33e62c:m:m8j1FtuELzioz6-3fK9pipQ

And 2 of these taped either side of the base of the pole, with half in the ground.....in hard ground I bang these in with a hammer first and then tape them to the pole. 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GROUND-or-SUPER-STAKE-for-TELESCOPIC-WIND-SOCK-FLAG-POLE-camping-caravan-home-/162321132560?var=&hash=item25cb17ec10:m:mJ51Kjz8HBIE-RpwmL8t_bA

• 2 weeks later...

Andy B thats good food for thought on the windsock B|, but NO i've not ordered 1 yet :D

But on a better note decided as wind was good and heat was down last night went ground handling, which turned out to be a good thing in the end, Wind varying between 10-14mph when 1st got there so kite out and clipped in with many reverses and excellent launches.

But after about 40 mins having to run backwards quicker as wind was dropping quickly, so decided lets go for forward launches so on return across park layed out wing then clipped in over shoulders ready for a go, first attempt wing came up lovely and quick straight above head (run forest run), big mistake got 5 yds and bosh wing comes straight back down behind me, ferk ferk ferk i'd forgotten my light bulb moment from last session :$, note to self about Do Not pull to much brake xD, so unclip lay out wing into slight horseshoe shape then clip back in, remember light brake OK got that and of i go wing up run forwards and yes with light brakes i'm away with wing hovering above me, proceeded to do this for 6 more times just so i knew i was right :fail:, as it happens i can know from this moment on forward launch oh yes i'm very happy :lol:.

So i think Chilly will tell me to do it with a motor on my back next time :coptor:, then the real hard bit comes next mahawahhahaha 

On 6/11/2017 at 12:03, AndyB said:

And 2 of these taped either side of the base of the pole, with half in the ground.....in hard ground I bang these in with a hammer first and then tape them to the pole. 

Am I missing something? Why not just slide the pole over the ground stake? 

For a ground stake I use a stair rod and a mallet. Others use a length of copper pipe. Or a bit of wood ... 

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Steve said:

Am I missing something? Why not just slide the pole over the ground stake? 

For a ground stake I use a stair rod and a mallet. Others use a length of copper pipe. Or a bit of wood ... 

Was also my thinking using a single metal spike into ground but if in an open field i'm thinking on lines of a spike or tube fitted onto my towball support on my car.

• 3 weeks later...

Still NO windsock :$ but now have a new to me paramotor wing, and yes i have done a couple of days g/h'ing with it to set the trim setting for take-off, plus i had to adjust brake line length out of high hang point, only realized this from pulling down on brakes and trailing edge hardly moving :roll:, but all's good now and hopefully there could be a possibility of taking my 1st official trainer observed flight :D very Soon :acro:

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yes Sorry to the ones who are following i have been very docile lately, I did carry on with training when allowed last year, but from having cancer and heart problems i do this when i can or feel healthy enough too plus i do also still have a 4 day Job9_9.

End result towards later part last year was with the Motor i bought if i did not launch on 1st attempt i had to rest as knee's couldn't hold weight, (No i'm not turning to trike just yet), whole point of this is so i foot launch for as long as possible.

So jump to this year and as we all know not been many flying days, plus i'm now only just getting thru reoccurring heart problems, but hopefully Doctors are now on top of that  :).

And so this afternoon i'm going to try do some kiting to see how my health holds up and how long i can ?, i have however stalled from getting my wing serviced for now as big possibility i'll get a newer 1 after iv'e bought new to me Paramotor.

So hopefully new year and on with the task in hand, and i have vowed to legally get Airborne this year.

And Ahmed go to a training school 1st if possible saves a lot of aggro and possible bad habits. 

• Like 2