Just acquired an old Solo 210 - a few questions

Bob Moore

3 hours ago, noddyc said:

Hi Bob

I have changed  the lead battery on my Bailey jpx over to a lithium battery.I used a bosch 18 volt drill battery , took it out of the case and stuffed it inside some heatshrink. (Mine was an 18volt system). I use a lithuim  charger for it.

I have completely disconnect and removed the charger circuit .

It saved me over 1kg in weight. 

I get more than 50 starts out of 1 charge and have never had any problems with  flat batteries  again.

Casey

Thanks for that info mate.  If I can get a coil for this and get it going that's the road I plan to take. cheers.

The Hirth F-36 is not 100% identical, some parts may fit, but probably not all.

About the coil, I just googled "2300487" and found some places who have it.
Good price on this one https://www.amazon.com/HIPA-Ignition-2300487-Prfessional-Backpack/dp/B00XPJWTAC

I have a different coil on my Adventure A3, but maybe that have something to do with the CDI Adventure used.

Thanks mate.  I did some Googling on the Hirth and was going to contact some suppliers to ask.  The coil looks right to me and is similar to one that someone has linked me from a supplier in Poland that is 4 times the price.  I tried googling part number too but didn't come up with that. Thanks. Doesn't ship to Brixham but maybe I can find a supplier that does.

Thanks for that. Looks right just about.  Someone has linked me a supplier in Poland, same tyhing but much more expensive. And this one on Amazon , which unfortuantely will not ship to the UK. (Don't know why.)  I searched and searched but couldn't find one that did ship to UK. That one is for a Solo powered leaf sprayer!

If that one does ship I may take a chance on it and try it. Looks a bit like the HT lead comes out the wrong end but that would be easy to remedy. Fixings look the same and it does look like a magneto type coil.  Great.

I just figured, I was under the misapprehension that a solo 210 was a paramotor but of course it's a 2 stroke small air cooled engine that's used in quite a lot of applications.  The paramotor is a Fly Products possibly power 95 as it has a 37 inch 4 bladed prop.

I have been Googling Solo 210 wiring diagram.  But of course every paramotor manufacturer will fit their own frame, tank, prop, throttle and wiring harness.  So the question is please does anyone have a manual , wiring diagram etc for a Fly Products paramotor, preferably power 95 but I guess there will be similarities with others.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fly_Products_Power

I have found Fly Products manuals for other motor but they all appear to have a coil based ignition as opposed to the magneto on this old engine.

This is what  the paramotor looks like 

https://goo.gl/photos/CeGoMrmh7QfLZuZx7

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Kiwi K, yes, after some extensive searching and Googling I think I have found a coil that is a reciprocal part, at least one seller cross references the old part no with this which is for a Solo sprayer  . 2300487 is the old part number.   Looks exactly the same fit as the one in the old engine diagrams.

HIPA Ignition Coil Module 2300487 for Solo 423 423S Prfessional Backpack Sprayer

https://www.amazon.com/HIPA-Ignition-2300487-Prfessional-Backpack/dp/B00XPJWTAC

The Amazon seller does not ship to UK.

I found a seller in China and ordered one , bit of a gamble, but only £20.  

Ignition Coil Magnet Fits Gas Leaf Blower Solo Sprayer 423 Engine Motor

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemVersion&item=222392532790&view=all&tid=1867198708012

There are loads of suppliers who sell the coil for leaf blower or sprayers and as I say it appears to be the same part. Time will tell.

Apart from that I've sorted as much as I can on the unit. Fitted a carb refurb kit, cleaned out the fuel tank which was gummed up. Fitted new pipe work and filter,  and rewired another ignition switch to replace the key switch (as I had no key) and found a working battery, got a spark plug.  Just waiting on the coil. Oh and bought some m4 socket head screws to fit everything back together!

One thing I am not sure about is the wiring of the kill switch. It's a magneto ignition so once it's running it will keep running. There are 3 wires unconnected where the old coil was removed before I got the unit.  Back is a ground, mauve wire  is 12v+ when the ignition is turned off, but is zero when turned on. And grey wire 12v+  when the red kill button is pressed whether ignition is on or off.  I'll have to wait and see what connections there are on the coil when I receive it. It can takes 2 or 3 weeks to get stuff by mail from China normal delivery.  

Edited by Bob Moore

Is that the link i sent you but lead comes out of other side ?, also i have had mine running last week and 18.5v lipo no problem, but paul the previous owner told me mine recharges battery as it flies, but forgot to put a meter on to check voltage input to the battery whilst running to confirm, need to as if it does i will have to isolate the battery but it will be Ok to power a strobe light :D

I'm sure there are two variations. The older one with a magneto coil like mine does not charge, it has no charging coils or regulator and has a charging socket to charge the battery. The later models had a different type of ignition with a conventional coil etc.   Magneto ignition is completely stand alone. The flywheel has a magnet and as it passes the mag  the magnetic field passes a low tension coil which is linked to HT coil and spark plug. Doesn't need a battery. A common arrangement on lawn mowers, chainsaws, leaf blowers etc.

You can see the differences in these two links . They call the first power ignition.

http://www.fresh-breeze.de/en/spare-parts/solo/powerignition.html

This they call manual starter ignition which is the one I have (although it has electric start too.)

http://www.fresh-breeze.de/en/spare-parts/solo/manual-starter-iginition.html

The coil I ordered looks the same as in this pic and the HT lead comes out the correct side. I'm hoping it's right anyway!  If not I may try and arrange some kind of electronic ignition?

PS  Freshbreeze don't stock the old coil now,  so the UK agent told me anyway. He said they may have one if I sent a picture of it. (Trouble is I don't have the old one anyway!) My gut feeling is the one I ordered will work.  The FreshBreeze one was £75 or £80, the Chinese one is £20. It's a gamble anyway.

yes iv'e seen the fresh breeze pictures before, i know the later solo 210's were fitted with HEIS, mine has an external coil but original owner is certain it charges the battery in flight, and mine must be a later version as it's electric start only.

Update on my efforts to get this motor running.  Managed to fit the coil I bought, it has the a reciprocal part number, looked similar and fits the slot and curvature of the flywheel  though I had to drill one new hole in the casing to fit it.  Was fairly confident that I would get a spark but nada, zilch, nothing.

Diagrams I've looked at for magneto systems all show a contact breaker and say you need a contact breaker and a condenser to create the spark when the magnets pass the coil.  But I have looked hard on this motor and there is absolutely nowhere where a breaker was fitted or could be fitted. No holes in the casing where wires would have come out either.   The old coil had been removed already when I got this and there are two wires that are unconnected and I have no idea where they would have gone.  The coil basically just bolts on, has a ground wire that attaches and has one spade tag which I think will be for the kill switch.  But the other two wires, I have no idea? One mauve one grey.  I checked with a test meter and neither make and break with rotation of the flywheel either. I set the air gap between magnets and coil as well. 

The parts diagram here for this engine doesn't show any parts other than a coil either.  http://www.fresh-breeze.de/en/spare-parts/solo/manual-starter-iginition.html

Tried to upload a pic of the coil fitted but the site has a problem.

Does anybody have a clue please.  Does anyone have the old mag ignition engine and can tell me where the two wires go please. It possible to have a magneto ignition without breaker points and condenser? Because that's how it appears to work.

I plan to go to a lawn mower repair place monday as apparently they know about mag ignition.

Incidentally I made enquiries about the HIS ignition that was available and the guy doesn't make them anymore.

Edited by Bob Moore

3 hours ago, cas_whitmore said:

Hi , is the rotor still magnetised.. I fitted new coil to my top 80 with air gap at 12 thou .

cas. 

Hi Cas, yes plenty of strong pull in the rotor magnets.  Think I set the air gap at about 10 thou, can't find any info on this motor or circuit diagrams. The engine's not even 20 years old and thought to be not even run in yet.  I might try and find another way to sort a spark with an electronic ignition of some kind. The timing is going to be the hard bit.

Could be.  Looks very similar. I have tried looking at circuit diagrams for chainsaws etc too. One of the wires shown is a ground , the big question is where does the wire from the coil tab go to? 

Just tried and tried again to upload images. Small files. Tried jpeg and as a gif. 

There was a problem processing the uploaded file. Please contact us for assistance.

This is the coil I fitted. Looks the same but didn't come with the leads.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222392532790

edit, actually not quite the same.

Edited by Bob Moore

Actually looking again it is different. Mine has two 'horns' as they call it in another advert I've seen for that one.  This is the part in the part diagram on Freshbreeze, trouble is they don't stock it anymore. 

I just downloaded the workshop manual for that chainsaw and it has an ignition module?  And a generator. My motor doesn't.  I could gamble again I guess and try that one?

http://www.fresh-breeze.de/en/spare-parts/solo/manual-starter-iginition.html

.58a8a21a82739_Imagebreakdownvsmall.jpg.a779e5771a96c7dacfe8508bfb39fa7a.jpg

Interestingly the ignition on the Sthil chainsaw just has ...  The electronic (breakerless) ignition system basically consists of an ignition module (1) and flywheel (2). ....

and it doesn't appear to have points ...   Ignition timing is fixed and cannot be adjusted during repair or servicing work Since there is no mechanical wear in these systems, ignition timing cannot get out of adjustment as a result of wear. ....

It might be worth another gamble, thanks.