Dudek Synthesis 2 reflex v Advance Alpha 6

Funkibug

Hi all, as a newbie and novice (yet to fly a paramotor but hopefully very soon) I would like to ask some basic advice.

I already own an Advance Alpha 6 paraglider wing. Its a 31 and with hybrid risers it is certified to take a paramotor.

but its not a reflex wing.

What I would like to know is, would a reflex wing, like the Dudek Synthesis 2, be easier to handle, be more stable in the air etc, as it's a design specifically for a paramotor, compared to a paraglider wing like the Advance Alpha 6 with hybrid risers?

Being a novice, my interest will be to enjoy the view, have fun, and be safe. I will not be into ball busting acro moves.

Thanks

Steve

Reflex sure have higher pressure in leading edge area and are a bit more resistant to turbulence and sometimes way faster. But... the Advance Alpha 6  is still an amazing wing for any pilot, lots of safety, easy handling, and probably good fuel economy. Designed with lots of passive safety. Fly the Alpha, be happy, when you have 100 hours, decide if you want something else. It's a perfectly fine paramotor wing, ~48km/h on the Alpha, not bad.

Edited by Casper

Hi Casper, I am not interested in speed, just stability. If I am safer and more stable in a Synthesis 2 compared to Alpha 6, then I would use the Alpha for paragliding and get the Dudek just for paramotoring.

I just needed to know if there was much handling difference, one being a reflex. And it seems there is.

• Upvote 1

On 1/16/2017 at 02:09, Funkibug said:

Hi Casper, I am not interested in speed, just stability. If I am safer and more stable in a Synthesis 2 compared to Alpha 6, then I would use the Alpha for paragliding and get the Dudek just for paramotoring.

I just needed to know if there was much handling difference, one being a reflex. And it seems there is.

Hi

the same question 

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, admin (Simon W) said:

The main factors that effect speed and efficiency include: 

Wing Loading

Wing Size

Wing Profile

Smaller wing, higher load = faster 

Bigger wing, or lower load = slower.

The Profile bit is the bit that manufacturers vary and tweak from one wing to another and will effect speed and handling as well. 

SW :D

to my logic a fast wing would mean poor fuel economy being that 2 strokes by nature that high rev burn exponentially more fuel(im guessing this could be tuned if you needed better top end)  Would a wing profile that produces more lift be a slower wing?  Or maybe it has something to do with stability and wind resistance but then how could the wing go fast if the stability is causing more drag?

Edited by craigo198

• 5 months later...

Bigger wing area does not necessarily mean slower. Reflex is one reason why....reflex can fly at a lower angle of incidence and is a lot faster than a standard paraglider.

I have two identical sized wings both rate low en b...ozone buzz pwr z4, and dudek universal.

The top speed difference between the two with trimmers out is considerable. The buzz trimmers full out is about 45km/hr...the dudek is 53km/hr. Both add about 5km/hr to this on bar.

This is only part of the difference...in headwinds the lower sink rate of the buzz pwr becomes a major headache. It gets parked really easily so if you are trying to get back home and the wind picks up whilst you are away, you're stuffed in the buzz. The advance wing would be no different. Non reflex gliders really are useless for xc work...efficiency is useless when you cant make any headway. In my opinion efficiency is aspect ratio.

Buy the dudek wing.

Edited by adamjedgar

• 3 weeks later...

Dealers can still get Synth 2's but they have been taken off the website. As a school, we are moving over to the Universal 1.1 which is an amazing wing! 

There have been a couple of wings over the years which have reduced the amount of time it takes us to teach people. The universal 1.1 is one of those wings. :-) 

We have a couple here for anyone who want's to try one. 

SW :D