power lines

calcifer

I've read about the accident happened to Giles, and I take the occasion to clear some doubts about the impact with power lines :

- is an electric shock always sure when hitting a power line ? Or it depends from the point of impact, the kind of power line, the simultaneous contact of the pilot with the ground ?

- is there an advised point of impact with the line in case the impact is imminent and is impossible to be avoided ?

Edited by calcifer

The typical 'rural' power line on 6/8 metre poles is 3 phase 11,000 volts.

You are right you don't want simultaneous contact with the ground OR between two of the lines, this is very likely fatal.

If you touch one line and nothing else you will not get shocked, this is how live working is carried out by maintenance crew (I wouldn't fancy it though).

Always keep a lookout for poles or pylons and avoid the gaps between. it is extremely easy for the lines to completely disappear into the background, i have experienced this on numerous occasions.

Fly safe, Alan

thanks for the answer, Alan.

so I have to suppose that the kevlar lines of the wing are electrical conductors... and what about the wing itself ? Is the material the wing is made an electrical conductor ?

But in the most common impact, where the wing lines collide with the power lines and the pilot is not in contact with the ground, that should only cause a short-circuit between the power lines, without transmitting the electrical shock to the pilot.... or am I wrong ?

Edited by calcifer

Kevlar is non conductive, it is used sometimes as guys for transmitting masts because of this.

'But in the most common impact, where the wing lines collide with the power lines and the pilot is not in contact with the ground, that should only cause a short-circuit between the power lines, without transmitting the electrical shock to the pilot.... or am I wrong ?'

I would think this to be the case, unless anyone has first hand experience and wants to fess up?

2 hours ago, smurff said:

Do none of these mobile apps show where lines are e.g. like some sat navs show speed cameras?

Even if it was possible to do this, you'd spend more time looking at the app than looking out where you were flying- lines are everywhere!

My tip- don't try so hard looking for the lines. Pre-empt where there are likely to be lines, follow roads, near settlements, isolated houses, etc.. and assume there are lines nearbly and dont fly low anywhere until you are sure the area is 'line free'- it ususally takes a scout from the ground for me to be 100% sure.  Also remember it's easier to spot the poles than the lines.

GD

well, according to the above and if the paraglider lines are made of non-conductive material, I think that the only real risk of electric shock will be to hit directly more than one power line with the body or the frame, generating a short-circuit between the lines.

But I hope to never test directly this theory ! :-)

• 3 weeks later...

Although not technically a conductor, everything regardless of makeup will conduct depending on the level of current/voltage it is exposed to. A pilot colliding with an overhead line could potentially get a shock depending on loading of the line and numerous other factors. Remember it only requires "milliamps"  of current to flow for the human body to be massively effected (muscle contractions/ paralysis/death) and if the current flowing in the overhead system was say 300amps you don't stand much chance. 

-work in the electricity industry

• Upvote 1