good optical zoom camera

Gents

As like most of you I have an action cam for video and grabbing screens shots but would like to take good high quality stills also. I've been taking my SLR up with me and taking pics in full auto which have turned out great but its bulky and cumbersome and difficult to operate with a right hand throttle and gloves etc. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good high optical zoom, easy to use in the air compact camera?

• Upvote 1

I have added a large velcro patch around my front harness strap and also a big velcro patch to my throttle handle so I can secure the throttle if I need a free hand. It works well and it's so strong that I don't have to worry about dropping the throttle. Biggest improvement you can do for taking photos :D

I've tested to take photos with a long zoom compact, Canon sx1 (old camera) and It's a bit heavy for one hand shooting if you want stable photos, same problem with big SLR. But still easier to handle than a smaller compact camera that doesn't have a palm grip. The new long zoom cameras on the market have great quality, it's mostly up to how they feel in the hand.  For mega zoom, look at the Nikon Coolpix P900.

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/2016-roundup-consumer-long-zoom-compacts/9

Cameras like the Canon PowerShot G7 X Mark II may have great quality and a smaller size. Great all around cameras, but imagine how it is to handle in the air with the small buttons and lack of good grip? 

• Upvote 2

Do you have a right hand or left hand throttle?

Right hand seems to be very common, but I learned on an Adventure machine with a left hand throttle and I've got used to it now- wouldn't have it any other way.  The left hand throttle is handier when it comes to using cameras, etc.....

I've had 2 H&Es and a Miniplane since, and opted for the left hand throttles each time.

• Upvote 2

I have a right hand throttle and it is a pain but wary of changing as its what I'm used to. I never considered Caspers point about a palm grip being easier anyway than a compact in the air. Maybe I'm going down the wrong road with a compact camera.

I like the idea of the Velcro hanger for hands free but again not sure how comfortable I'll be taking the throttle off my hand. I'd need to think on that one. Guess it would make it easier putting heavier gloves on after take off this time of year to.

I was not comfortable at all the first times I tried it. Even now when I know it works, I double check so the velcro really connects over the whole area every time I use it. turned out there are quite a lot of situations when I feel the need to have an extra hand.
And yes, having a left hand throttle is way better for camera handling, I never thought about it before but now I'm glad that my Adventure machine have it :) Details like that should be written down in a "buying guide".

I have another tip for taking photos. Buy a chest mount harness for action cameras, I have a cheap one that I ordered from China and I also ordered some extender arms for the GoPro standard and a mini tripod convert mount. With this you can secure your regular camera and make it more stable. I also use the harness to connect my selfie stick so I can't drop it with my camera. The selfie stick I use have a camera thread in the handle so it is modular.

Camera_harness.JPG

Edited by Casper
link
  • Upvote 1