Flattop 120

Sparent

Hey,

New to paramotoring and have been looking for a motor for awhile now.  I have done tons of research and  I am looking at a used flattop 120 straight from Dell.   Most of what I have read about the flattop has to do with Dell himself not the machine.  I don't care about that.  I just want the best machine for my money.  So could someone give me some advice on this.  The frame seems really solid and I have read its slot quieter than an air conception which is the other one I'm looking at.  He's offering 90 day warranty on it which is not something I'm going to get on any other used motor. I have heard"get with an instructor and they'll help you with the best motor for you".  Just about every instructor at every school I've considered will either only train me if I buy equipment from them or just boast the equipment they seem to favor cause they'll make more money off it. I have had a few offer me a top80.  I'm 187lbs!   So I'm seriously considering this flattop would love some advice on whether or not that's a good idea and why an air conception is a good choice or any other paramotor for that matter.  

If you are looking for a no bullshit company in the US then go for Blackhawk Paramotors.

Not had personal dealings with them but as an experienced pilot it is obvious from their promotional material that they rate safety and professionalism very highly.

But why not a flattop. Nobody ever gives me a reason.  Flattop has some very nice features, clutch, quick release harness, low weight, supposedly quiet and the frame looks very sound.  blackhawk frames look flimsy as hell. What do yall think about air conception?

Edited by Sparent

I bet you can fly with it, just as everyone else who use it on youtube. But judge for yourself if the frame is something you like or not.

It's a Radne raket engine, they make them in Sweden, and a lot of paramotor brands have them, or had them. My personal opinion is that I don't like the high rpm. But I know others who like this engine. It have a good power/weight ratio, but so have other new stronger engines, and I would aim for higher thrust. Even if it's not needed for regular cruising in the sky.
Just look at the Nitro 200, if it can earn a good reliability reputation (so far, so good), I have a hard time believing pilots would want something much different.

Radne however are cheap and easy to take apart from my understanding. Similar engines are sometimes double the price of the Radne.
https://www.radne.se/Product/3201-10/Raket-120-Aero-RD
Read the manual to get an idea, then compare it to other engines. https://issuu.com/radne/docs/manual_r120

About the Flattop cage, I've never tried one, so I can't tell you if it will save your life if you fall asleep and crash land, or if it is the best paramotor ever made. But the claims for this thing is pretty high. If Dell gives you a really good price, maybe consider it.
I personally don't care about "crumple zones" and designs like that, I still have my legs and feet, and if I somehow loose them, I buy a trike ;)

I would either buy the lightest cage I could find, something miniplane-ish with titanium like the air conception, but there are others. Or something premium ultra sexy with lots of carbon like the Scout and Adventure X-Race if I had to buy new today. But that's not the topic.

Edited by Casper

Ok heres my two pennies worth,I have been in this sport since 2006, Ive owned and flown a FT and to be fair a few others as well, i started out with a Walkerjet which is basically what the FT is a copy of (what came first Egg or Chicken Walkerjet or FT) IMO a FT is a copy of a walkerjet Super copied the design. Now I've seen the latest FT and its exactly the same as mine that i bought in 2008 nothing has changed maybe different engines but nothing else. Whilst back then they we're a worthy purchase the sport has moved forward fast and spectacular giving the pilot a vast and varied choice. The FT is an outdated design its heavy, robust, clumsy and basic its not the most comfortable machine to have on your back and even with the new lighter engines still a basic outdated bit of kit. As for the so called safety system (the well documented crumple zone) and the quick release harness (another super dated design) these are worthless and in no way useful or needed. I enjoyed my FT and at the time it was for me a great bit of kit (I'm a large type 120kg) it felt awful on my back it was clumsy it would clout the back of my legs whilst running on the ground cumbersome to be honest, at the time it was the best machine out there for me, but especially in the last couple of years the technology a parameter design has gone way beyond expectations and the market has so much more to offer better, lighter more powerful engines, as for paramotors the same stronger, lighter cheaper far better designs and so much more diversity and range. So reasons NOT to buy a FT are plenty look around listen to people for you at your weight, choice is plentiful, talk to your instructor go to some flyin's but whatever its worth i wouldn't buy another FT. Add to it the stigma of Super Dell (who I've had many on conversation with) and its just not a great option.

Neilzy   

• Upvote 2

Thanks for the info.   I'm kind of in a predicament here.   I want to get lessons before I make a decision but everyone I've talked around here near Richmond VA I just don't like.  They will either only train me on my own equipment which I don't have or will only train me on equipment I buy from them which is over priced.   I am thinking of going to a program that let's me use their equipment for training but then it might be a long time after I finish training until I find the equipment I want and then I'll be out of practice.  

• 4 months later...

Thanks for the post! I too am looking at getting into PPGs. I started looking at FreshBreeze and Capt Kurk, (seemed a bit to good to be true plus seemed on the outs with a lot of people) then SuperDell and the FlatTop, (seemed a little high strung and to interested in record setting) now am seriously looking at the Nitro 200 by AirConception. ( no bashing, and a dealer/trainer within a few hours). I certainly don't want to rush into anything but am fired up to get started. Find myself looking for launch sites and trying to determine where I can get the best training. 57 years old and about 200 lbs. Was in good shape but been slacking lately, so I know I need to get back in good shape for the running etc. Right now looking at FlyHigh Paramotors in Pensecola FL. Any advice , wisdom, experience is appreciated. I've done a static line jump and two freefalls in the past and always wanted to fly, looked at Ultralights back when I didn't have the time or money. Now I do, but don't want to waste time making poor decisions. Actually want to advance to tandem (Grandson) or maybe a trike. Thanks for any replies.

All,

Had the same problem too, guy that was close to me approx 100 miles away was more interested in how much money he could make from me with equipment and training! So I decided to go to Ryan Shaw (Paradrenalin)in Arizona (400+ miles away), great guy no sales pressure used all his stuff ( all good Nirvana and Dudek). Training was very good. Things seem to be very different here in the states compared to UK.....things are ridiculously sewn up if you know what I mean by the USPPA, there is no such a thing as getting a "deal" on either a wing or motor...prices are all the same everywhere. Shopping around is frowned upon big time here, forget used stuff as most instuctors will not help you out and say it is a bad idea period...It's who you "know" here.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, terrywiscal said:

57 years old and about 200 lbs. Was in good shape but been slacking lately, so I know I need to get back in good shape for the running etc. Any advice , wisdom, experience is appreciated. Thanks for any replies.

Hi Terry, i'm slightly younger than you at 53 but also do weigh similar at 92kgs, shape you beat me at as I've got an ongoing heart problem and currently on meds for a type of cancer,  i was a bit premature and bought a paramotor over 2yrs ago and cheap wing , but thankfully in the UK its slightly different yes some like you to have your own equipment, but some will train you with theirs and like USA some expect you to buy from them.

Several friends learnt a couple years back right as i  had my heart problem, so yes it got shelved but i knew i would do it so kept all my gear, if you could hold of for a little on buying a paramotor, but i'd say get a used wing as ground handling is a big part of your training, and if you own a wing practice as much as possible with weather and lifestyle allowing, then when you do go back to your training hopefully you've learnt more of the basics, and also training should become cheaper and you should progress quicker thru the stages, plus also forget the running part you'll slowly get fitter as you progress, also my trainiing has said if i'm running i'm doing it wrong, he says all you should be doing is walking fast slightly supporting your Motor, if your in the right position the fan will push you along and you just support the weight until the wing and forward thrust kicks in and up you go.

So look around as there's several schools over their and if you have to travel then so be it, it will be worth it in the end.

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, papagyo said:

All,

Had the same problem too, guy that was close to me approx 100 miles away was more interested in how much money he could make from me with equipment and training! So I decided to go to Ryan Shaw (Paradrenalin)in Arizona (400+ miles away), great guy no sales pressure used all his stuff ( all good Nirvana and Dudek). Training was very good. Things seem to be very different here in the states compared to UK.....things are ridiculously sewn up if you know what I mean by the USPPA, there is no such a thing as getting a "deal" on either a wing or motor...prices are all the same everywhere. Shopping around is frowned upon big time here, forget used stuff as most instuctors will not help you out and say it is a bad idea period...It's who you "know" here.

Like said seems like you do have to travel to get a better deal over there, but do we take it your sorted and flying now ?, did you out source equipment or settle for ex trained gear ?

Hi,

I got it all sorted and ended up buying new gear, I was able to establish a relationship with a different instructor/distributor that sold very nice stuff and was more interested in furthering the sport and helping people learn and succeed than how much money he made. I got good stuff at a fair price, even just bought a new wing ( still in the bag as it is snowing right now with 6 inches on the ground here.) I can point anyone in this distributors direction if wanted through PM.