Jump to content

Help with wing loading queries


Quade69
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hello fellow paramotor enthusiasts I've just joined your forum firstly with a particular subject and problem I need to overcome, I've been flying for almost 2 years now, I started on an apco thrust medium, now I fly a dolce sunglider which is up for sale, I'm looking at buying a wing off a friend which is a jojo instinct small it says take off weight for a paramotor is 110kg however I weigh 127kg with my motor on my back, my friend flys this wing and he is at around the same weight as me and he loves it, but I'm still concerned at the stats, I'd really appreciate any advice people have to give, i feel I am ready for a more agile wing now, and the sunglider has a take off weight of 120 but doesn't turn as I'd like it too, 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

your friend loves his wing BUT he is selling it ?  if you wish to fly a wing that is more dynamic then choose a wing that is rated paramotor within your weight range ,and then flight test it , if you like the feel and it is as dynamic as you require, buy it, ALL WINGS WILL BE SAFE STRENGTH WISE, AS 10G  thing is what risk are you prepared to pay for your adrenaline thrill . there are old pilots and bold pilots , but there are no old bold pilots.

Edited by bazz
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Cheers BaZ my mate is upgrading to a competition wing, that's the reason for sale also to help me out with something more agile, however I like to think I'm a sensible pilot happy just getting from A to B but I do like the idea of being in full control and being able to take sharper turns if needed, All I'm really concerned about is weather that wing will take my weight whilst flying sensibly 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Make sure you check out the certification for those wings.. I think you will find they are uncertified!!  I am assuming your a new ish pilot as your asking about weight ranges so Make sure you stick with in the weight range and buy a glider that has been tested and was designed for PPG not a 10-15 year old Paraglider design. Low hour PPG pilots should stick with ENA or B...  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, morgy said:

Make sure you check out the certification for those wings.. I think you will find they are uncertified!!  I am assuming your a new ish pilot as your asking about weight ranges so Make sure you stick with in the weight range and buy a glider that has been tested and was designed for PPG not a 10-15 year old Paraglider design. Low hour PPG pilots should stick with ENA or B...  

Yes my previous wings are certified PPG and I'm sure the jojo I might buy is also, I understand most ppg pilots fly at the limit or over the weight range I'm just interested to know what's safe and what's taking the razzle, I think someone with 1000 plus hours could ask that question if they hadn't already lol thanks for the advice tho lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 05/12/2016 at 14:15, kiwi k said:

I'm a ~Newbie and my understanding is that you can safely fly 10% over weight limit registered.:acro:

If you fly out side the Cert weight range it will change the collapse characteristics of the wing so you will be flying an uncertified wing.. As a new pilot stay with in the weight range of X or Y wing 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 04/12/2016 at 22:06, Quade69 said:

Yes my previous wings are certified PPG and I'm sure the jojo I might buy is also, I understand most ppg pilots fly at the limit or over the weight range I'm just interested to know what's safe and what's taking the razzle, I think someone with 1000 plus hours could ask that question if they hadn't already lol thanks for the advice tho lol

Please check out the wing's test report done in 2005!!!!! this Very old wing design is not to my knowledge rated for PPG it was tested with PG risers thus uncertified for PPG

Feel free ignore if you want to buy that wing but please just do your home work before shelling out your money..  

Happy flying!! 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, morgy said:

If you fly out side the Cert weight range it will change the collapse characteristics of the wing so you will be flying an uncertified wing.. As a new pilot stay with in the weight range of X or Y wing 

Thankfully morgy i do Not and Will not as my wing is gerry mungus, think its more suited to tandem flying so well within the weight range:D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



  • Upcoming Events

    No upcoming events found
×
×
  • Create New...