Fuel Level

kiwi k

Hi Fellow Pilots 9_9,

right while trawling thru a certain Auction site earlier in the week i came across this,listed as a  Non-contact Water Level Sensor Detect Liquid Switch Container   Level indicator.jpg they come 5,12 or 24 Volt so think it could be usable on my set-up, obviously i would need to modify it, as in moving the Light from the body and fixing into my Hand-grip, seems to be a compact item so not a lot of extra weight but possibly a doable exercise. my thoughts are having a 12 litre tank fix it at 3 ltr warning ?

My question is not seen others commenting on fuel level sensors or gauges apart from small mirrors, so what do or is on the market as a permanent gauge ?  

Edited by kiwi k
  • Upvote 1

Oops may have thought of a minor flaw in my thinking with fitting this device:(, if you're an active wing tip down or spiral kind of flyer is the device going to be going crazy with the petrol movement in the tank :acro:, maybe best suited to XC flyers :coptor:

Edited by kiwi k

Cas that was exactly my thinking as it's certainly cheap enough to do, and it will take away the niggling inconvenience of trying to guesstimate the fuel level.

I'm committed now as i have already ordered 1 and i have a mental image of my design into my set-up, 

And the wife said its another of my hair brain ideas so i'll do it whether something is already on the market. :D 

if I've well understood, this device only shows when the fuel level has reached a certain level (reserve).

Well, who of us would really 100% trust an electronic device for knowing when the reserve level has been reached ? I'm more than sure that even if I'd have this device installed and verified that it is reliable, I would go on checking the level visually with the little mirror I always carry in the harness....

• Upvote 1

On 11/14/2016 at 12:26, calcifer said:

I would go on checking the level visually with the little mirror I always carry in the harness....

Looks like i will too as after numerous emails the pillock told me today i need a 24v plug in transformer which he omitted to tell me previously >:(, and Si it was more purely being a newby to all this flying malarkey and not 100% upto how long and how much fuel i'm using 9_9.

But this is not dead and buried i'm already looking into another similar device just need to dismantle it and see if i can re-figure it to work, plus it comes in 12 volt form so easier to add on to my existing set-up :coptor: 

I obviously use burn rate as Simon has said above, i.e. I always fill 6 litres per hour of flight expected + 2 (spare). I'm on a moster burning 5-6 litres per hour.

That said, I sometimes find myself having a bit more fun than expected and losing track of time! When that happens the mirror finds itself working overtime. I'd be keen to see if a warning light could be used.

Lee.

Not dissing the idea :-) For sure you should go for it and test it out. This is a 12 to 24 v stepper which may well work :-) 

I am as crap as crap can be when it comes to electrics so likely that I am wrong with the link... ? 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/322102434761?lpid=122&chn=ps&adgroupid=27378760866&rlsatarget=pla-181484317986&adtype=pla&poi=&googleloc=9045600&device=c&campaignid=620865095&crdt=0

SW :D

3 hours ago, gordon_dunn said:

6 litres per hour seems quite excessive.    I'm doing around 3 litres per hour on a Miniplane Top 80/ Fusion 26.  

Yes it is, but its apparently normal for a Moster. I'm weighing in at about 135-140Kg's all up on a Nucleonwrc 29

More significant height changes and I will use 6 litres and a consistent height cross country will peg me nearer 4-5 litres. I have done better, but not often.

22 hours ago, reactionjackson said:

Yes it is, but its apparently normal for a Moster. I'm weighing in at about 135-140Kg's all up on a Nucleonwrc 29

More significant height changes and I will use 6 litres and a consistent height cross country will peg me nearer 4-5 litres. I have done better, but not often.

I'll second that. I'm 150kg all up on the big Synth 1 and I consistently use 5-6lts/hr with my Moster 185

Hi GR, my tuning has been nothing more than setting up the carb `properly` and fitting a 130 prop.

The prop made a slight difference over the 125 but the factory recommended carburetor low and high needle settings made my engine run way too rich - the plug was BLACK! (and jump around a lot on the rubber mountings which the Moster was noted for when it first came out)

I`m going to experiment with an adjustable pitch prop to knock a few hundred rpm off my engine speeds (hopefully) - all my flying is 2 - 3 hour XC`s and if i can get my rpm`s down to about 5500 (currently 6200) it`ll make flights much more relaxing and quieter! I think having to use over 2/3 engine speed for level flight is too much, and i`d rather trade some of the Mosters outright power (which i don`t really need) for lower fuel consumption.....maybe..

I`m probably flying the wrong engine, but i`m not changing motors now!

Hann i like my Gizmo's and like said being a newbie it's something less i have to worry about if i have a gauge or audible warning device, a friend who's been flying for awhile has twice crashed down because he estimated fuel content wrong, thankfully he was only bruised and battered but paramotor survived ok.

Maybe next year or year after i will have more idea and be able to judge flight time to fuel usage

And i now know of the "Tiggy fuel gauge" so i may just order 1 of them, once set right no worries as it tells you fuel and time left for flight.