Pros and cons of Carbon and wooden propellers

Kausik

Following on from Neilzy;s comment, a prop strike with a wooden prop is likely to do less damage to your crank than carbon fibre, my experience with microlights is a wooden prop will more readily shatter and absorb a significant amount of the kinetic energy on a hard strike. Also a carbon fibre is less susceptible to damage from rain whilst flying (more significant with microlights perhaps). 

On 10/11/2016 at 21:05, admin (Simon W) said:

I think you may be surprised at the weight of some of the 'carbon & fibreglass' props when compared to a wooden alternative.

Simon's right, I should have been more specific.  I have a carbon e-prop and it is much lighter than my wooden prop.

A quality 125cm wood weighs much the same as a helix 125cm carbon. Cheap wood props can be heavier and spool up slower.

e-props are lighter carbon and spool up faster, but can also be harder to pull start.

Carbon props are strong 2 piece. Woods are generally 1 piece. Carbon 3 blade. Not many wood 3 blades.