Titanium frames

grassy2014

As a novice I am still going through the many options out there. As the titanium frames are said to be 50% lighter than stainless steel. Is the material very thin? If an impact like a bad landing does it bend so it could be straightened like stainless or does it buckle or fracture. I did read somewhere that if you have a titanium frame you will possibly have to know someone that can weld it.

I've used ali frame, MS frame ,SS frame , titanium frame. Titanium frame is very easy to repair, just need little bit heating to shape it and find some one who weld it. There are  many tig welders weld titanium now a days. When I crashed my titanium frame ,I just need two phone calls to find a titanium welder. So my 1st preference is titanium now.

• 4 weeks later...

Here is a great video example of repairing a titanium frame. Air Conception race frames are grade 9 which helps a bit. It is stronger than an alloy or stainless but when pushed or crashed hard enough, it will bend. It is also repairable, it does not shatter or splinter into million pieces of sharp shards etc, all things I have heard in the past. I have straightened a couple of frames myself and its not easy. Nothing to this extent though, watch this great video from Eric.

• 2 weeks later...

This is my experience : I've learnt to fly with a titanium frame, i.e. a t-rex frame from R.ultralight, supplied by the school.

I've then purchased my personal paramotor, a fly products race-c with steel-aluminium frame.

Well, you can definitely feel the weight difference... the titanium frame is incredibly lighter than the steel one, and if was not for the price difference, I would have surely bought the titanium frame. Go with the titanium, if you can afford it !

For me its the preferred material for paramotor frames. Its properties really suit out unique vibration requirements, titanium shows little to no fatigue vs alloy and even steel.

We now have a Universal Multi Engine Frame made from titanium. The weight does make a difference. for example an EOS booster in our frame can be as low as 16kg all up ready to fly. Tempted to build one just to see what it feels like. Alternatively a Bailey V5 fitted in our titanium frame could be 22kg!! a light weight 4 stroke. Not sure if there is a call for that sort of thing. A moster would be under 21kg.

Good to have the choice and interesting to see what packages people would want to build and great for any pilot wanting to make things lighter but keep the engine they have. 

• 2 years later...
On 14/11/2016 at 10:29, custom-vince said:

Here is a great video example of repairing a titanium frame. Air Conception race frames are grade 9 which helps a bit. It is stronger than an alloy or stainless but when pushed or crashed hard enough, it will bend. It is also repairable, it does not shatter or splinter into million pieces of sharp shards etc, all things I have heard in the past. I have straightened a couple of frames myself and its not easy. Nothing to this extent though, watch this great video from Eric.

Can you make this video public so I can view it?  Thanks.  Trying to get info on how to fix a bent titanium frame.