Power Inverter and Battery.

All,

I am looking into buying a nice chunky ( 1000w ) Inverter and battery. I hope to be able to run a small travel kettle designed to use less power.

My questions....

A) What would be the best type of battery to buy? Normal Truck one? if so... Has anyone got a spare truck battery floating around?

B) Can anyone point me at a good source of Inverters (reccomend) I was looking at this one

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Brand-New-1000W-I ... dZViewItem

Cheers all

SW :D

A) would you not need a deep cycle leisure battery of the type used in caravans and travel homes for domestic power. Thesze are better at being charged then fully discharging than a truck battery which is designed to be tooped up after a smaller discharge on starting the engine?

Cheers Francis dude.

It's not just for a kettle Dan I want to charge stuff, run my laptop, Mini TV, and 'stuff' as well.

SW :D

sounds like you need to look at a marine type installation. They have whole systems with distributuin and control boards. They are fitted in boats like sunseeker (big caravans on fast hulls) and I expect big american RVs have a similar set up. You might find, by the time youve assembled all the bits that a complete system off the shelf would be more economic. I am just beginning to research this for my bus.

try http://www.marinemegastore.com/product. ... =ECLCHA003

and

http://www.marinemegastore.com/category ... BAT004.htm

I have a deep cycle leisure battery and inverter installed into my Kangoo, but for hot water i find the best solution is a Trangia Spirit Burner. These are fantastic items, capable of boiling a kettle in only 8mins- using minimal fuel. You can also use it to heat up soup, fry, etc.... Very handy.

I've mastered the art of landing, lighting the trangia with a full kettle of water, folding the wing up- then making a nice coffee.

GD

The very best battery you will get are the 'Odyssey' type. They are completely sealed, can be mounted any way up except inverted. They have extremely good deep discharge characteristics and will deliver very high current, especially when compared to their size. They like to be charged hard and fast rather than trickle charged, and retain their charge better than just about any other kind of battery. Unusually, they retain charge better when cold too. The electrolyte is completely captive in glass matting, so even if the case is broken, they won't leak any.

I'm thinking of using one of the smallest ones (PC310 I think) as the battery for my motor. I use a slightly larger one on my motorbike, an 1100 cc twin, and it spins the engine extremely well.

Why not run a small microwave? That way you can heat water for tea, or reheat some proper food.