strobe light

weesplat

Hi All,

Being a bit on the tight side I was'nt going to get a strobe as they seemed awfuly expensive just for a flashing light but I found this site

http://strobes.ppgtransporters.com/

and have ordered one should be here by next week if the delivery times advertised are correct. If its up to much ( at $30 = £17+change I'm not expecting it to be top of the range) and is sturdy enough to last a season I'll be happy. I'll post an update and mini review when I get my hand on it watch this space...

Cheers Col.....

Nice find Col,

Let me know what it's like!

Although....... looking at the drag on that thing

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DO NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT FIX IT TO YOUR WING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To confirm, fit it to your motor mate.

SW :D

Well I've bought one of these;

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Car-Vehicle-2X-Hi ... dZViewItem

and machined a couple of domes out of clear perspex rod, to cover the tubes. I'm going to pot the electronics in resin I think, although there is a heatsink on the circuit board that would be best to leave exposed. When set to flash alternate tubes with a triple flash on each of them, they are pretty good. Again, not massively bright, but probably as good as the self contained 'D' cell units. Anything to help conspicuity where there are fast jets bimbling about has got to be a good thing.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Well here's a quick update. The unit arrived fairly quickly from the states probably faster than if I'd bought in this country.

It is very small the electronics ( small control box and leads ) are inside the bag which looks like a pencil case ( probably what it is the wallmart tag on the inside gave the hint ) with the light mounted on the outside. The light is composed of flat LED's around the sides with slightly domed ones on top.

I havent used it in anger as yet but is fairly bright when used with two nine volt batterys as per the instructions and flashes in a double flash space double flash rythme. Even brighter when clipped onto my paramotor battery.

Gave it a bit of a shake and gentle kick about the floor and that did'nt seem to bother it just kept working although if I was going to use the 2 X 9volt option I would cable tie the battery's together as there is a chance they could seperate.

There is a flying lead with croc clips on the end that gives you the option of powering the unit from the 12 volt battery in the paramotor assuming that your motor has one and I would/will use this option .

The bag its all in could be made half the size and still be ample for housing the electrics as the largest thing (apart from the light ) is the control box which is about the size of a match box.

For the price I'm happy with it. Once I get my lazy butt in gear and get it fitted and wired in ( going to change the clips to a plug in connector ) hopefully I'll get some feedback from others as to how noticable,bright it is.

I have shown some of the lads what its like on the ground so if you guys could post you thoughts it would give a bit of an independant view on the thing.

I'll post some photo's when I've finished these night shifts I'm on.

For the money not bad even if you bought two or even three its cheaper than the alternative high end kit and in my opinion a bit more rugged.

Cheers Col....

All,

This 'Stobe' is not good enough. It is indeed NOT a strobe but a set of flashing LED's.

You can buy Brighter, rescue becons from good camping shops in places like Wales, Scotland, Dartmoor for the same money.

My personal thoughts on this 'Strobe' Were that it reminded me of the sort of flashy thing you see Children ruinning around at a fair with. In short. Its crap at best.

SW :D

Well that's to the point! i won't be buying one of those then!!

Think i'll stick with buying a double micro avionics strobe.

Will the power from a Paramotor be enough to power a double or triple strobe? i think the micro avionics double and triple strobes are intended to be mounted on Microlights and such.

Will the power from a Paramotor be enough to power a double or triple strobe? i think the micro avionics double and triple strobes are intended to be mounted on Microlights and such.

If you are prepared to run your electrics as 'total loss' effectively, then you can get away with running quite a lot of gear. A battery pack slipped into one of your rig pockets is probably not a bad idea, and it has the added advantage of being able to isolate your avionics electrics (radio, gps etc.) from the interference that the engine often generates. You should easily be able to make up a pack of ni-cads, or run the smallest 'Odyssey' sealed lead/acid battery, that will run your accessories for well in excess of your fuel reserve time. Keep a spare set on charge in your car, and swap them round when you get back to the field. Putting a ferrite ring choke in your strobe power feed will help prevent nasties making their way to your radio.

Have you seen the other "strobe" thread? http://www.paramotorclub.org/forum/view ... 6&start=15

I have one on order and will report soon as can. They are $38 post paid but seems you can get them in this country around £25 posted.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi chaps, saw this topic by chance and thought I'd let you know my low cost solution, as an ex militray "person" we used to carry a thing around called a Firefly, the idea being that if we needed to be extracted in a hurry from somewhere we'd rather not be, by activating the Firefly the chopper had something to home in on, these days they are used widely as a survival aids for search and rescue because they are small, light,comparitively cheap, no wiring, using standard or rechargeable AA batteries they give approx 60 hours of use, but the clincher is they push out 250,000 candela each.. if you mount two back to back on your cage with the use of a few cable ties as I have done on my Macro (new 3 bladed 136 cm cage!)you a have a pretty effective alternating strobe.

I picked two FireflyII's up off ebay for around £22.00 I paid £10 for one and £12 for another, normal retail is around £46.00 new or the fancier MS2000 which is designed for the militray at around £80.00 new.

whatever you choose check out the candela!! there are so called divers strobes out there that only knock out 30,000 candela, you will be dissapointed if you buy one of these... Firefly II is my suggestion, they never loose their value so if you decide Im wrong you can resell it fo the same money..

If your at the NATS, Ill be flying the 3 bladed Macro so you can judge for yourself... :