The 3 - 30 - 300 idiom

In other words you can expect an 'incident' at 3 hours, 30 hours and 300 hours.

Looks like my 300 has come a bit early, at 258 hours.

Alternatively titled 'F**k up, fess up, photo':

P1050659.jpg

I think it's a bit past repair, particularly with the grass 'growing' out of the fracture line 3637.gif

Should have aborted the take off as soon as it wasn't going right, instead I tried to save it, wrong move.................

Where is the best place to buy a prop for a Bailey V5?

Alan

Bad luck Alan, happens to us all! :oops:

There's a fine line between experience, confidence and becoming complacent sometimes (not accusing you of that, of course).

My 'idiom' prangs were usually caused by trying to power through a failing launch. It rarely works but is good for the prop manufacturers. 

Have you tried Hy-Fly props? They are a good price and good quality.

22 hours ago, alan_k said:

In other words you can expect an 'incident' at 3 hours, 30 hours and 300 hours.

Looks like my 300 has come a bit early, at 258 hours.

Alternatively titled 'F**k up, fess up, photo':

P1050659.jpg

I think it's a bit past repair, particularly with the grass 'growing' out of the fracture line 3637.gif

Should have aborted the take off as soon as it wasn't going right, instead I tried to save it, wrong move.................

Where is the best place to buy a prop for a Bailey V5?

Alan

@CMParamotors sells / supplies Helix props in the UK. 

SW :D

6 hours ago, Hodders said:

Engine outs at 2, 4 and 8 ! Wow, what were the failures?

I had an engine out on my 3rd ever flight and I don't ever think I'll be complacent about always having a landing zone in mind.

There were a number of possible failure points. It was an oldish motor that had been sitting around (but with only 9 hours of air time). The fuel lines were all stiff and probably not sealing well, so they would pull in air bubbles at full throttle, which is when it would die.

I also replaced the fuel filter with a cheapo $5 one from an auto parts store. I noticed a ball of fiber in the old fuel filter.

Despite these two adjustments the engine still lost power (but didn't engine-out) at times close to full throttle, so I opened up the carb.

The carb has a small filter as well and there was a small wad of fiber covering maybe 30% of the filter. I've removed it but haven't had the opportunity to test it yet (car window got smashed in and someone stole my sleeping bag and wing thinking it was a tent). I have a gut feeling that the problems should be fixed now.