British tag

grassy2014

I think that avoiding prop stike is just a matter of training.  I have had a Miniplane since I started in this sport and I now have 200+ hours on it.  Miniplanes have flexible cages.  I invariably fly in very low wind or in nil wind conditions, it just isn't an issue if you have the correct technique.

I am not suggesting that you buy a Miniplane, just don't be put off by claims that cages of any particular manufacturer are not sufficiently robust.

Fly safe,

Christian

• Upvote 1

On 1 August 2016 at 7:48 PM, grassy2014 said:

Thanks for the info. Weight is a big issue for me. I was looking at the titanium 19kg jobs but have been put off with talk that the cage is not strong enough and can get prop strike on powered forward launch. 

best ask the owners of 19kg jobs. They will tell you the truth of their ownership experience.

So far all I can say about the lightweight AirConception is it's pretty damn good and for me it really has changed my flying and I'm pretty aggressive on forward launching and have had no problems. The AC has plenty of power it's delivered smoothly and with the E prop absolutely no torque affect no problems pushing my 120kg around the sky 

IMG_3591.MOV

Not many people seem to own them. 

I could be wrong, but I believe that Miniplane, which are lightweight, are the best selling machine in the world.  Air Conception and Bulldog have excellent reputations and there are loads of pilots who have bought them.  There are lots of us who favour light weight machines.

There are many reasons to choose one motor over another, reliability, noise etc, fuel economy etc.  Robustness of the cage is just not an issue, at least in the manufacturers above.

Fly safe,

Christian

• Upvote 1

It would be wrong for me to not say that we have had two miniplanes on the field in the last few months. Both of them struck lines on take off. Neither were told my miniplane that this was an issue and to change your take off technique. 

Using a little power during a nill wind launch makes it 100% easier. 

Not being able too, in my opinion is a massive flaw in the design. 

SW :D

Having very little experience I am probably not qualified to comment really, however, I have a Bulldog and it seems to be very well made to me (I have tested the schools Bulldogs cage strength when I panicked on my first attempt to become airborne where I throttled off and lifted my legs). No damage whatsoever. 

I knew I really wanted a Bulldog after that!

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

had a great day flying Sunday at membury , all my flying up till recently has been with Pap top 80 1250 chasse  , all power launched  which is a dodle when shown how ( thanks little col' bless him ) I allso had still have a airconception 130 titanium very lightweight machine . Then at the parafest I bought a new miniplane chasse harness every thing except engine . Put the motor in it from my Pap . Soooo off I went to membury to try the miniplane , I didn't give the flexi cage a second thought even after I replaced the prop . I done the same on the air con" kept trying to power launch , just didn't suss what I was doing wrong .

think it was Simon at the last flyin said you got to pull it up past the cage before powering up , obvious now .

anyway Sunday'  tried different launch style pulled wing up first then away I went easy as that . As for a total beginner learning 

on a flexible chasse motor yes you could teach someone to fly ' but I've seen quite afew beginners  trip over while running with full power And no way would a light weight flexible frame take that'  it would distroy it self but on heavy chases you normally get away with just a new prop . 

Cas . 

• Upvote 1