Car Rack Question!!

asquaddie

My prop is usually horizontal unlike how it is in the pic and usually has my prop covers on. Also (not shown) is a rubber block that I swivel into place for the hub of the prop to sit against. This allows me to swivel the block out of the way, remove the prop covers and bungie and run the engine up.

• Upvote 1

If Carlsberg made back racks.........

Here's one I made earlier. Galvanised bracket bolts permanently onto conventional toe bar bracket then steel carrier just lifts on and off. No need to remove paramotor from carrier when removing  from car. Incorporates windsock pole bracket. Checker plate base measures 12" x 22" with 2 sturdy tie down points and telescopic top brace. I use end of ratchet  strap webbing to stop prop wind milling.

Currently selling for about £150 if anybody's interested.

Tim

IMGP1928.JPG

IMGP1927.JPG

2016-07-10 18.56.12.jpg

• Upvote 1

On 3/18/2017 at 13:38, Garry said:

Nothing wrong with the Thule Easybase, I've been using mine for over a year without any problems. Drive at 60-70mph without issue. I even sit on it to strap into the harness.

11917491_10207490463968130_5464575519337927595_n.jpg

well yeh, there was nothing wrong with mine either till it bent all at once and fell off... :S

But glad your's is fine. It doesn't however change the fact, that mine (also a thule easybase) failed. 

Perhaps they have made them stronger - I made mine what, 10 years ago now. Hence when I made the stainless steel bacrac I over engineered it massively just to be safe.

If someone is building one though - remember you are not making it for the weight of the motor, or even for the weight of you sitting on it - I'd not be happy with anything less than about 200-250kg personally - acceleration forces are being rerouted straight down, and wind resistance is massive with any paramotor at motorway speeds.

But you've all got the right idea about the upright bar - that's definately required or else all the load gets transfered into a sheer load on the bottom of the frame where you've otherwise attached the base - with the upright bar you keep that load straight down the bar which is what you want.

mine is/was similar with the bacrac:

just my 2c.

And as I say - this is sitting in the garage in ipswich with a lightbar if anyone wants to make me an offer on it (in ipswich).

5 hours ago, powerlord said:

That's a nicely engineered mount Gordon. is that zinc coated too ? Did you built it yourself ?

stu

Thanks Stu..... I did the drawings and a colleague got the parts laser cut and welded.  It was around the same price to get it galvanised, compared to paint- but the galvansing is a much better job- certainly don't need to worry about knocks and scrapes.   The unit is designed for a 125cm prop Miniplane.   There is a chance he'd make you one- I can get a price if you're interested?   Fits a Berlingo/Partner very well.

2 hours ago, gordon_dunn said:

Thanks Stu..... I did the drawings and a colleague got the parts laser cut and welded.  It was around the same price to get it galvanised, compared to paint- but the galvansing is a much better job- certainly don't need to worry about knocks and scrapes.   The unit is designed for a 125cm prop Miniplane.   There is a chance he'd make you one- I can get a price if you're interested?   Fits a Berlingo/Partner very well.

Thanks, but I've got the motorhome now, so don't need one - hence my old one is for sale.

But I'm sure others might be interested.