Desperate E-Mids newbie

Hi Everyone, I have been desperate to get into Paramotoring for about 3 years now.

I know it is a very cheap sport in the overall scheme of things but with kids, mortgage, wife who likes shoes I can't seem to save enough to start out.

If there are any clubs or individuals that need a general helper, driver, tea maker just about anything, within reason in return for some training and loan of 2nd hand kit. I would be so grateful.

I am currently in the RAF and due out it less than 4 years with a big payout so hopefully can get some of my own kit.

I have done a solo glider flight, am trained to a small degree in flight planning, meteorology and principles of flight if that helps.

Hope someone can help make my dream come true, I would go mad if I had to wait 4 years!!!!!!!!

Sam

Hi Sam, where are you stationed?

Hi Norman

Thanks for replying so quickly. I am currently stationed at RAF Waddington working on the Sentry's. I have been employed on Harriers for the majority of my career so I am currently commuting from Oakham in Rutland which is close to RAF Cottesmore.

As I said in my original post I am going crazy trying to get into the sport. I have gone past the point of reading all the books/magazines and watching the DVD's and want to take a run and jump (forgive the pun) to have a go for myself.

If I can find a club or an individual that can come to a mutual arrangement I would be over the moon.

What is your association with this amazing sport?

Sam

Hi Sam,

I am very much a newbie, I have flown my paramotor three times now for a total of about an hour and a half. You are right, it needs to be done and is highly addictive as you will see from these pages. If you trawl around a bit you will see what you need to do to get yourself going. Probably your most important initial move would be to get yourself down to a club so that you can meeet people actually engaged in the sport and map out your route to the clouds.

Anywhere with a decent reputation would do, I would suggest Lambourn (near Swindon) of course because that is where I started and I know the people and.... you are already known and talking to those who fly there. :lol:

In flying terms, paramotoring is not an expensive sport, in fact it is the cheapest, and most fun way there is of getting into the sky. Simon has some school kit and you will find that people are generous of their time here. you need to try a taster day to see if this thing is for you, Simon will give you the rudiments of safety in ground handling, show you what's required, stuff you into a harness with helmet and gloves attacthed and you can make the very first step which is getting the wing airborne and over your head. That will probably frustrate the hell out of you and give you something that will place a grin on your face, then you will have one just like ours - it takes a few years for it to wear off ... ;-)

Once you have mastered the delicate arts of running into the sky you can fly from anywhere you can get permission to fly from. You might get together with a couple of your friends and after asking OC Flying, may even fly from the large green bits of Waddington's hallowed turf.

20080315-89u7gupcf33jxn87w2ymw3e6db.png

Get yourself down to the club Sam, as Francis often says, JFDI! See you soon then? :wink:

Hi Sam, I'm just starting out on the paramotor life, having held my PPL for a few years, and hopefully doing my training over easter. If you manage to get yourself trained on rental equipment, then perhaps you could drop in my place before or after work. I've managed to sneak a motor and wing pretty much under the spousal financial radar, and once you're trained, perhaps you could scrounge a flight on my gear sometime. I'm sure you understand I wouldn't want you to train on it, but once you're airborne it might work out. I'm only about twenty minutes from Waddo, so maybe a cuppa and chat is in order.

ATB, Phil

Hi Sam, I'm just starting out on the paramotor life, having held my PPL for a few years, and hopefully doing my training over easter. If you manage to get yourself trained on rental equipment, then perhaps you could drop in my place before or after work. I've managed to sneak a motor and wing pretty much under the spousal financial radar, and once you're trained, perhaps you could scrounge a flight on my gear sometime. I'm sure you understand I wouldn't want you to train on it, but once you're airborne it might work out. I'm only about twenty minutes from Waddo, so maybe a cuppa and chat is in order.

ATB, Phil

Hi Phil,

Good luck with your training, hope it goes well and the weather is kind to you. Let me know how it goes. Where are you doing the training and roughly how much is it if you don't mind me asking? Completely understand that you don't want anyone training on your kit. I would be exactly the same when I get my gear! Really appreciate the offer for when I am qualified though. We should deffinately have a cuppa some time if only so I can drool over your Paramotor. I am only at Waddo during the week. I am on a really intensive course at the moment and try to get back to the wife and kids at the weekend. I would say for some peace and quiet but I would be lying.

Once again good luck. Hope it is all you expect and more.

Sam

Hi Sam,

I am very much a newbie, I have flown my paramotor three times now for a total of about an hour and a half. You are right, it needs to be done and is highly addictive as you will see from these pages. If you trawl around a bit you will see what you need to do to get yourself going. Probably your most important initial move would be to get yourself down to a club so that you can meeet people actually engaged in the sport and map out your route to the clouds.

Anywhere with a decent reputation would do, I would suggest Lambourn (near Swindon) of course because that is where I started and I know the people and.... you are already known and talking to those who fly there. :lol:

In flying terms, paramotoring is not an expensive sport, in fact it is the cheapest, and most fun way there is of getting into the sky. Simon has some school kit and you will find that people are generous of their time here. you need to try a taster day to see if this thing is for you, Simon will give you the rudiments of safety in ground handling, show you what's required, stuff you into a harness with helmet and gloves attacthed and you can make the very first step which is getting the wing airborne and over your head. That will probably frustrate the hell out of you and give you something that will place a grin on your face, then you will have one just like ours - it takes a few years for it to wear off ... ;-)

Once you have mastered the delicate arts of running into the sky you can fly from anywhere you can get permission to fly from. You might get together with a couple of your friends and after asking OC Flying, may even fly from the large green bits of Waddington's hallowed turf.

20080315-89u7gupcf33jxn87w2ymw3e6db.png

Get yourself down to the club Sam, as Francis often says, JFDI! See you soon then? :wink:

Hi Norman

If I am ever down your way I will deffinately pop into the club for a nosey about.

The site looks amazing in the picture. The motors are getting very small nowadays aren't they! Sorry that was a poor attempt at a joke!

Sam

:lol:

Sam - this is paramotor pilot's Tai Chi. You have probably clocked it but kiting is a fine art and constant practice with the wing and the accumulation of these skills is pivotal in making a launch go smoothly. But yes, they won't get far without a motor... :lol:

I am probably missing something obvious, but I would have thought that good first step towards PPG for a serving member of HM Forces would have been to sign up for (engineless) Paragliding through either the RAF HG/PG Assoc (membership @ rafhpa.com) or the Joint Services Association (ripstra @ msn.com) (both addresses without the spaces)

Chance of keeping the cost down with any luck through access to the adventurous training budget, and can use their kit too. Means that less of the subsequent PPG training is spent in ground handling training as at the very least the basics of wing waggling should have become familiar in the PG environment.

I have flown with the ARMY PG instructors in Cyprus a few times over the last few years :D

They have a bottom landing site that is a (HUGE) sandy beach with a Beach Bar / Greek Restraunt which they seem to spend a lot of time in :D

You can land at the bar and place your order without even dropping your wing :D

SW :D

I have flown with the ARMY PG instructors in Cyprus a few times over the last few years :D

They have a bottom landing site that is a (HUGE) sandy beach with a Beach Bar / Greek Restraunt which they seem to spend a lot of time in :D

You can land at the bar and place your order without even dropping your wing :D

Only snap I can find of a Cyprus 'bottom landing site' of that description is a pic of heading towards this one from a couple of years ago.

That is 'Currium' and the site I speek off :D The launch site is carpeted and a lone tree provides the much needed shade.

Also the added bonus of flying over some 'old buildings, and tiles and stuff with stone towers that have snapped but remain in place on the ground' .

Nice site for a chilled out fly if your going to go to Cyprus, take your wing and try out this place it's easy peasy but very rewarding. :D

I am probably missing something obvious, but I would have thought that good first step towards PPG for a serving member of HM Forces would have been to sign up for (engineless) Paragliding through either the RAF HG/PG Assoc (membership @ rafhpa.com) or the Joint Services Association (ripstra @ msn.com) (both addresses without the spaces)

Chance of keeping the cost down with any luck through access to the adventurous training budget, and can use their kit too. Means that less of the subsequent PPG training is spent in ground handling training as at the very least the basics of wing waggling should have become familiar in the PG environment.

You are right, there are some fantastic courses available through the RAF. Unfortunately I have had my name on the list for 3 courses and had to cancel them due to operational reasons, postings etc. Will keep trying though!

That is 'Currium' and the site I speek off :D The launch site is carpeted and a lone tree provides the much needed shade.

Also the added bonus of flying over some 'old buildings, and tiles and stuff with stone towers that have snapped but remain in place on the ground' .

I think that the carpetted launch site (with tree) may be this very one

Incidentally most of the columns etc were on the deck for centuries until re-erection (ooh matron) of some of them half a century ago by cranes etc operated by army national servicemen including 'bus pass Dave' pictured about to launch there in 2005 (in the days before succumbing to the attractions of Mr Bailey's back-warmers)

Agree - definitely a wonderful place for flying (although the antiquities people are not too impressed with inadvertent top landings within the clifftop archaelogical site in the background. Allegedly).

Great pics :D

And thats why I go to Cyprus for my Free flying :D nothing manic just nice sea breeze, the lone tree to chill under with friends and a beach lading which parties until the late night with Brandy sour :D

Thank the lord for Gore Tex Bivi Bags and Brandy Sour! :lol::lol::lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Sam,

I'm still learning myself.

I reckon you are going to have trouble getting anyone to loan you equipment. It's just too easy to bend a frame.

Some schools provide kit if you train with them - Airways Airsports near Asbourne for example.

Bit of a long shot, but do you know the "Macka" the RAF guy at Loughborough University. I think he is intending to learn to paraglide.

Feel free to get in touch. I live in Quorn near Loughborough. There are a few pilots in the midlands area, I'm sure we can find someone to let you have a quick ground handle if nothing else.

Cheers,

Mike