Introduction

Hi guys.  I've been on here reading posts for about a month now and figured it's about time to introduce myself.  My names Goldy and I'm a 37 yo male from MN USA.  We don't really have a forum as active as this one here in the US and I've grown to love this one over the past month.  Anyway, I've been paramotoring now for about 6 yrs.  I started out with flight junkies here in Ohio which offers free training with equipment  purchase.   Big mistake.  I got taken on used equipment and got very poor training which cost me big time.  I started with an edel power atlas and fresh breeze monster paramotor.  I quickly grew tired of trying to foot launch a motor that big and bought trike.  I enjoyed my trike but my dream was to foot launch, so I got real training and a wing upgrade to apco thrust III.  What a difference.  Since then, I've now gotten a miniplane and l fly the latest apco thrust IV.  I absolutely love my set up now.  I'm a heavier guy at approx 200 lbs on my miniplane, but with the 125 prop and at 1100 ft ABSL, the miniplane has no problem with my weight.  Even in nil wind.  It's completely made this sport so much more enjoyable.   I live for this.  Anyway, just wanted to say hi and introduce myself.  

Goldy

• Upvote 2

Hi Goldy, welcome aboard.

Glad you have a great set-up now. My comfort and enjoyment increased for me when I moved onto my Bailey V5 four stroke motor.

I was used to the same motor weight with my old 2 stroke so that wasn't a problem. Economy though is superb.

Look forward to your posts from MN USA :D

Thanks for the welcome to both of you!  Wish I could be on that side of the pond to do some flying.  It is an amazing feeling to have hassle free gear and just enjoy the flying.   Look forward to participating in the discussions on here with everyone.   

Goldy  

• Upvote 1

Hi Goldy,

Its great to hear from someone in MN. I really didn't think that there were too many paramotorists in MN. I travel there from time to time. With your big seasons I bet there is some interesting flying to be had. So are you near to Minneapolis/St Paul?

Lee Jackson (ReactionJackson)

• Upvote 1

I definitely think that the lighter you are, the better the performance is on the miniplane.   I was super concerned about weather I'd be at nearly full throttle all the time trying to climb.  I was pleasantly surprised when I went for my first nil wind forward with it.  No issues at all.  Cruise around at about half or a little less throttle usually.   Definitely not as much thrust as my old FB monster,  but so much easier and pleasant to fly.  

Hey Goldy, I actually grew up in Ohio - northeastern area. I remember being 8 years old and seeing ultralights fly around our Midwestern skies - I didn't realize it at the time but those might have been some of the pioneers of our sport. I'm 30 now and just started PPG. I was lucky in that I had the opportunity to travel for my training, so I initially thought about Thailand to save money, but decided I'd feel more comfortable with the quality of instruction in a Western country, so I went to New Zealand instead. 

Instruction was great and while the selection of motors here is a bit limited - Parajet, Backbone with ROS 125, and Miniplane - the quality is good and it gets me flying and doing the work of practicing without being burdened by ill-suited gear which is the most important part. As a backpacker that knows the value of lightness (aka lazy), I immediately insisted on a lightweight unit (not Parajet) and ended up with the ROS 125 because the weight wasn't that much heavier than the Miniplane and it has almost a third more displacement.

Someday I'll go do some flying in the US. Haven't done any research so I hope the restrictions aren't too tight. 

Edited by fuzzybabybunny

23 minutes ago, fuzzybabybunny said:

Hey Goldy, I actually grew up in Ohio - northeastern area. I remember being 8 years old and seeing ultralights fly around our Midwestern skies - I didn't realize it at the time but those might have been some of the pioneers of our sport. I'm 30 now and just started PPG. I was lucky in that I had the opportunity to travel for my training, so I initially thought about Thailand to save money, but decided I'd feel more comfortable with the quality of instruction in a Western country, so I went to New Zealand instead. 

Instruction was great and while the selection of motors here is a bit limited - Parajet, Backbone with ROS 125, and Miniplane - the quality is good and it gets me flying and doing the work of practicing without being burdened by ill-suited gear which is the most important part. As a backpacker that knows the value of lightness (aka lazy), I immediately insisted on a lightweight unit (not Parajet) and ended up with the ROS 125 because the weight wasn't that much heavier than the Miniplane and it has almost a third more displacement.

Someday I'll go do some flying in the US. Haven't done any research so I hope the restrictions aren't too tight. 

Hey Lee,

Yes the seasons definitely keep things interesting here.  Too cold for my liking around Jan for a month or so.  Can't find decent gloves that prevent my fingers from freezing.  There aren't many paramotor pilots here at all.  It's slowly becoming more popular though.  I'd love to be able to fly with more people.   Let me know when you're traveling through MN and maybe we can.  I live an hour north of minneapolis in the country so I can fly from my yard.

Goldy

@fuzzybabybunny

I actually fly in south east Ohio on rare occasion with a buddy I met while training in ohio.  Small world it is.  I wish I was able to travel more to fly in different places.  I also looked at the ROS 125 Setup, but didn't see an importer here in the US.  I'm excited to see how motors progress over the next few yrs and what's available for me when I need another new one.  But for now, I'm as happy as a clam.  As far as restrictions here in the US, it's really not bad at all.  Generally speaking, I think it sounds similar to europe just from reading thsee forums.  

Goldy

I am a pound or two lighter than you and my flying buddy is a few pounds heavier.  We both fly Miniplanes, but have swapped our 1.25 props for 1.3 props.  It makes all the difference.  You have to be a little careful, but the props are still contained within the diameter of the cage................just.

Christian

@fuzzybabybunny

I actually fly in south east Ohio on rare occasion with a buddy I met while training in ohio.  Small world it is.  I wish I was able to travel more to fly in different places.  I also looked at the ROS 125 Setup, but didn't see an importer here in the US.  I'm excited to see how motors progress over the next few yrs and what's available for me when I need another new one.  But for now, I'm as happy as a clam.  As far as restrictions here in the US, it's really not bad at all.  Generally speaking, I think it sounds similar to europe just from reading thsee forums.  

Goldy

@Chris tian

I'd love to try the 130 prop out on my miniplane.   Im sure the difference is amazing.  I know one instructor locally who told me it'll blow my mind how the extra length will improve my thrust.  I'm happy with the performance of the 125 wood prop, so am very excited to try the longer.