Newbie; seeking help to choose paramotor

Kausik

I am new and novice in this PPG. My body weight is 60kg, height 164cm. Altitude of my place is 13m. I will use Foot launch to take off. Would you please help me by recommending what kind of features I should consider while selecting a motor. Amount of C.C., HP, Thrust etc. I do require for efficient take off? My budget is tight, so please suggest considering this factor too.

Thanking you

Edited by Kausik

Don't buy anything until you have completed your training.  Listen to your instructor, but remember that he/she may have their own bias if they deal a particular brand.  If you go to a reputable school then you will not go far wrong.  There is no such thing as the perfect paramotor.  Motors have their good points and bad and you have to choose the compromises that suit you.  By delaying the decision to buy until after you have trained you will have given yourself the time to acquire knowledge to understand those compromises.

Welcome to a great sport,

Christian

@christian 

My instructor is helping me a lot in choosing gears. But I wanted to take my final decisions after listening from more expert pilots around this forum from all over the world. My request you to guide me from technical view point.

Edited by Kausik

I think the most basic feature to consider......is the availability of spare parts for whatever machine you choose.

Too many times I have read of pilots waiting for months for a simple part to be supplied, simple because of the type of motor they chose. Sometimes the motor you end up with may not be your most favoured choice, but in the long run, the convenience of readily available spare parts will far outweigh a more favoured "brand name" with inconvenience of spare parts.

Just my two bobs worth.

Cheers

Edited by rsquared

Most of us have a bias towards our own machines, so it is going to be difficult for you to make a decision based on what we write about our machines.  I am 80/85kg and the field that I generally use is at 300m

I have a Miniplane Top 80, it works for me because:

• The geometry of the machine makes it a delight to fly, almost no torque steer

• It’s one of the lightest.  Which makes it easier for you on the ground and you are less likely to stumble if you are not struggling with a heavy machine.

• It’s fuel efficient.  Which means that you have to take up less fuel for a given length of flight, which means that it’s lighter still.

• It’s relatively quiet.  Which means you are less likely to disturb anybody, which is important.

• It’s tried and tested.  Probably one of the most sold motors in the world and has been out there for more than 10 years.  You aren’t paying for the privilege of being somebody’s test pilot.

• The parts are readily available and inexpensive.

• There is a great informal network on the internet and it is easy and quick to find help on any aspect of the motor.

• The compromise is that it is not as robust as some machines.

Generally speaking, go for the bigger brands until you know better, and avoid Dell.  A big engine with more thrust might sound like a good idea, but it is probably not a blessing for a new pilot. 

@kausik : the only thing I can say is that, considering your body weight, you can chose a small and light engine, i.e. 80 cc. or  100 cc. 

the final choice is strictly linked to your money budget. A used motor will let you save a lot of money in comparison to a new one, but consider that in order to buy a good deal (that means a reliable engine) you shall have some mechanical competence, expecially on the 2 stroke engines.

thank you all for your all informative detailed replies....

One think I would specifically like to know that for my body weight (that is 60kg) and the altitude of my place (which is 13m) what will be the minimum recommended thrust of my engine for short running during take off.

Edited by Kausik

If you have the right size wing, a small engine will be fine.  There are so many other variables to consider........wind speed, temperature, your 'all up weight', the size of your wing, the efficiency of your wing etc, etc. 

At your weight, power/thrust is very unlikely to be an issue.

But most important of all, listen to your instructor, not some bloke on the internet ;)

Fly safe,

Christian

I think the comments about you getting a small engine are really true. You don't need anything more than prob 130 cc, 80 to 100 just right as others suggest.

If you get anything too powerful you will just be torqued over to the side more and it won't be as suitable and it will be heavier.