Bloody weather

was hoping to fly today at membury. Weather there looked iffy" so I spent some time  getting my new miniplane ready instead 

was looking in to getting one last year but that wasn't that easy it seemed. But they was at the parafest with the new uk dealer ( at last) 

went to get buy a tshirt ended up with a Paramotor.    Can't seem to post a pic .   

Cas . 

15 minutes ago, cas_whitmore said:

was hoping to fly today at membury. Weather there looked iffy" so I spent some time  getting my new miniplane ready instead 

was looking in to getting one last year but that wasn't that easy it seemed. But they was at the parafest with the new uk dealer ( at last) 

went to get buy a tshirt ended up with a Paramotor.    Can't seem to post a pic .   

Cas . 

Just drag the file where it says drag files here :-) 'below where you type your message content. 

SW :D

very quite ' even while flying there's no high pitch noise anywhere in the rev range . I have another motor and I tried flying with just those sqishy ear plugs but it's gets painful ended up trying to fly at revs that didn't hurt my brain ' so went back to ear cup type ear muffs. I did modify the silencer internally on my top 80 motor , its very converluted in Side that chamber I thought it was full of packing but there is none ' tig welded back together. Now what I didn't won't was a noisy top80 . But I was after a few more revs 

and that's what I got . I had to turn the high end needle adjustment screw out 1/2 turn (richer) that's a lot on a wg8 carb and it's still quite . ?.

cas .

• Upvote 1

Cas

I've got over 200 hrs on mine and I have yet to see a machine that I would rather own.

From the background in your photo I guess that when it comes to mechanics you know what you are doing, but this still might be useful to you.....

Had Robinson of SouthWest Airsports in El Paso has put together a great set of 'how to' documents for Miniplanes.  Here's the link.http://www.elpasoparagliding.com/ppgtechinfo/ppgtechinfo.htm

Another good source of guidance is the Top80 Yahoo group, post a question and you will usually get an informed response pretty quickly.

I hope that I am not teaching my grand mother to suck eggs,

Christian

Hi Christian,and thanks yes I have been on southwest airports site ' and miniplane USA there's some excellent info on both sites

i have carried out some mods that I read about on those sites . Stronger bolts for the g/box some good stuff about fuel/oil and Pistons/rings etc'  200 hrs Christian what oil you using ratio ect .

cas.

Castrol Power 1 Racing, which is the replacement for Power TT.  Originally at 1.5%, but for the last 120hrs at 2%.  The change was not through any knowledge of my own, just following the advice of a French mechanic with loads of experience on Top80s.

Another modification that you might consider is to replace the handle on the end of the starter rope with a loop of 12mm marine bungee.  It works a like an 'agricultural' flash starter and makes it much easier to re-start in the air.  I think that there's an old thread on it somewhere in this forum.  If you can't find anything, drop me a line and I photograph mine for you.

Christian

Funny enough Christian I was trying different ideas on the starter today , in the end I copied the version that's on my 

Airconception motor . It's some bungy cord from the handle to shoulder strap so I can pull it to get to the handle . 

Over shoulder starting . Did think of what you've done but thought it would get sucked through cage I'd never reach it .

also Christian my harness is different to what I've used before ' do you use a lap mounted reserve. 

Cas. 

I reckon that it would take me another 7 years, by which time my knees will probably have given up ;)

Reserve?  I have the Miniplane Snip L.  It has a velcro pad on the top which I occasionally  use for my phone, but I seldom fly with anything.  The Snip L is quite small, so I can still see between my legs.

Fingers crossed for some better weather for you lot.

• 3 weeks later...

I have just come back from seeing the mechanic, Jean at Mecafly.  Check out the very useful site with exploded parts diagrams.  I asked him about the oldest motor that he services..........it's a Miniplane Top80 with 1200 hrs.  And it turns out that Jean flys a Miniplane too, for all the usual reasons, but also another one that I hadn't heard......the parts are cheaper.

Don't forget to change the gearbox bearings at 100/150hrs.  I left mine a little late and they were in a shocking state.

Christian