Tip's from Paramotor Student Pilots.

17 minutes ago, Neilzy said:

a two stroke the prop acts like a flywheel and running without causes all sorts of timing issues etc

that's not correct.

If you think to a motorcycle 2 stroke engine, when you run it with the clutch disengaged is like to run a paramotor without propeller, and the engine runs with no problems in any case.

There's a flywheel on a 2 stroke, and it is the alternator magnet.

The thing is that if you want to test the instant reliability of the engine, you have to run it under charge, and the propeller load is the charge. Could be that the amount of fuel that reaches the engine is incorrect, and the engine reaches anyway the max. RPM without charge, but does not reach the correct max. working RPM with the charge applied, or even that it suddenly stops when the charge is applied.

The only (limited) risk in running the engine with no propeller is to go beyond the max. permitted RPM (but all the modern 2 strokes have an electronic revolutions limiter, so the risk is low)

From personal experience I haven't damage any two stroke I ever run or four stroke including a Bailey motor in a no load situation I don't rev them up only above idle usually . The Bailey likes to have the prop on to get it over tdc. Only engine to date I couldn't start with out fly wheel was 1930ish lister d engine I restored poxy thing .

cas .