Should I get a smaller wing? Currently have a 26 m2

I've got the Gin Pegasus in 26m2 and I'm 73kg.

http://para2000.org/wings/gin/pegasus.html

I don't have a motor yet, but I want to run some ideas by you guys.

- I'm not a fan of my current wing's top speed. It's very slow and during ground handling I often find myself walking backwards with no input on the brakes.

- The wing is not very light and it doesn't pack down very small.

- Because of its size, the chance of getting manhandled by it increases in higher winds. On higher wind days during PG class we used to practice groundhandling with Gin Nanos around 12m2. SO much easier and stable in higher winds than my Pegasus. 

In normal PG I would need a wing around this size or else I would have a hard time staying up. But with a PPG, lift can be generated via the motor.

I guess what I'm asking is since lift is generated by the motor, I should be able to get away with, and enjoy the benefits of, a smaller wing, right? With a smaller wing I should be able to groundhandle easier, safer, fly in faster wind conditions both with and without the motor, and it would be easier to pack and hike with for any kind of hike and flies I do, provided I get a wing that can do both PG and PPG? It should be less prone to collapses as well.

The downsides would be more dynamic collapses and faster launches and landings.

Ah, lift isn't generated by the motor, only forward propulsion. The lift comes from the wing, put power on and you will climb, due to a change in the angle of attack, and vice versa.

Putting more power on doesn't increase your speed. I'd say you are on the correct wing size with the Pegasus.

If you want more speed for PPG then buy a PPG wing with trimmers is my advice.

Cheers

6 hours ago, alan_k said:

Ah, lift isn't generated by the motor, only forward propulsion. The lift comes from the wing, put power on and you will climb, due to a change in the angle of attack, and vice versa.

Putting more power on doesn't increase your speed. I'd say you are on the correct wing size with the Pegasus.

If you want more speed for PPG then buy a PPG wing with trimmers is my advice.

Cheers

What I meant was that lift is generated through forward speed which comes *from* propulsion aka the motor. 

I'm not looking to fly faster. I'm looking to fly in a wider range of wind conditions. 

With a smaller wing, on light wind days I just use the motor more to keep myself up. On high wind days I can still go flying and it'll be easier and safer to ground handle on those days as well.

Fuzzy 

Forget about buy a "smaller" wing 26m at 75kg is about right for a newbie... What you might like to think about is buying a "better" wing... A good wing with reflex 

Flying in a wider range of wind conditions means you will need a faster wing! ;-)  Also as new pilot you need to take it easy and be careful about the conditions you fly in.. 

If like me you fly near the coast you may get caught out flying in 5/6 knots north then 30m later you can have 20 knots SW Seabreeze kick in. Make sure you fly with an experienced pilot to show you the way.. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

It will fly faster in the air under power anyway. Fly with it first and see what you think.

I would stick with it for the time being as your take offs and landings will be easier and then as you progress get a reflex wing of appropriate size as recommended by others.

• Upvote 1